Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Can anyone give me some advice on what to expect in my interview for nursing course. Its in august at sheffield hallam uni. App someone has mentioned maths and english exams?? Also are there any questions that i may need to be prepared for?

Would really appreciate any help

Thanks
    Jen x

ReputationRep:
    Read up on the NHS and make sure you understand the basics of how the NHS works. Also read up on a few current events a that are happening in the NHS as this is a question they love to ask you to discuss. My friend took a nursing interview and they asked her the above plus things like "why would you make a good nurse" "why do you want to me a nurse" The usual stuff. Try and google nursing interview questions

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Thank you, i really want this so just trying to swat up before the interview!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, read up on this website www.nursingtimes.net

really consider WHY you want to do nursing, talk about your own personal experiences in life and what you understand nursing to be. Also why have you chosenthe branch you've applied for?

How will you feel caring for patients who don't want to be cared for?

How will you manage your time?

what is your understanding of the concept of care? (mention looking after the patient holistically- always gets you brownie points)

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I had a selection interview for adult nursing at SHU back in June. We first watched a powerpoint presentation on the university and the different types of courses that were available. Then we were split into 6 groups and given a scenario and 3 case studies and we had to pick which case study we thought was the most important and we had to write down on a sheet of paper reasons why we had chosen that one and present it back to the rest of the group. Then we had individual interviews where i was asked about what experience i had, my previous qualifications, what i think is nurse is, what qualities I had that I would make me a good nurse and then at the end i was asked to sell myself to the interviewer (which was a question I wasnt expectiong to be asked).

I must have said something right as I got an unconditional offer. My advice would be if you have to present something to the rest of the group make sure that you no what you are going to say and be confident!

Good luck, let me no how you get on x

ReputationRep:
    AW thank you that really helps!
    I wouldnt expect to be asked to sell myself to them!thanks! i just really want this so want to be as prepared as i can be!! Oh-did you sit an exm of some kind?
    Congrats on your offer!!! when do you start? im applying for jan 2010!!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayliz666)
    Hiya,

I had a selection interview for adult nursing at SHU back in June. We first watched a powerpoint presentation on the university and the different types of courses that were available. Then we were split into 6 groups and given a scenario and 3 case studies and we had to pick which case study we thought was the most important and we had to write down on a sheet of paper reasons why we had chosen that one and present it back to the rest of the group. Then we had individual interviews where i was asked about what experience i had, my previous qualifications, what i think is nurse is, what qualities I had that I would make me a good nurse and then at the end i was asked to sell myself to the interviewer (which was a question I wasnt expectiong to be asked).

I must have said something right as I got an unconditional offer. My advice would be if you have to present something to the rest of the group make sure that you no what you are going to say and be confident!

Good luck, let me no how you get on x

AW thank you that really helps!
    I wouldnt expect to be asked to sell myself to them!thanks! i just really want this so want to be as prepared as i can be!! Oh-did you sit an exm of some kind?
    Congrats on your offer!!! when do you start? im applying for jan 2010!!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    My place is to start January 2010, but I am short listed to start in September as that was the intake I originally applied for but they were full, I find out on august the 20th if I get to start in Sept or not.

It was an odd question to be asked "sell yourself to me" I just basically told them how much I wanted it.

What branch of nursing have you applied for? x

ReputationRep:
    maths and english exams? Did you do these at gcse level? I think if you have them at that level you shoudlnt have to do these exams..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneaky)
    maths and english exams? Did you do these at gcse level? I think if you have them at that level you shoudlnt have to do these exams..

pfft, no..you should lol

ReputationRep:
    My place is to start January 2010, but I am short listed to start in September as that was the intake I originally applied for but they were full, I find out on august the 20th if I get to start in Sept or not.

It was an odd question to be asked "sell yourself to me" I just basically told them how much I wanted it.

What branch of nursing have you applied for? x
    I have applied for adult. what about you???
    Fingers crossed u get in for sep if thats what your wanting!!
    Im really excited and really nervous about it lol
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    pfft, no..you should lol
    i do have GCSEs in maths and englisha bove C but you mean i will still sit an exam?
    Shoudl i be worried lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzysmummy01)
    i do have GCSEs in maths and englisha bove C but you mean i will still sit an exam?
    Shoudl i be worried lol.

nah the exams are easy, really easy i have dyslexia and dyscalculia and passed no problem, but as a qualified nurse drug calculations, and reading handwriting get much more confuzzling!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    nah the exams are easy, really easy i have dyslexia and dyscalculia and passed no problem, but as a qualified nurse drug calculations, and reading handwriting get much more confuzzling!!!
    ah thank you!
    Well sometimes them drs and other nurses dont write clearly either!!

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for adult. what about you???
    Fingers crossed u get in for sep if thats what your wanting!!
    Im really excited and really nervous about it lol
    x

I have a place for adult. Fingers crossed for you then, let me no if you get a place. If i stay with starting in jan ill probs c u there x

ReputationRep:
    Got my interview a week tomorrow! i have got everything crossed!! x

ReputationRep:
    I have a place for adult. Fingers crossed for you then, let me no if you get a place. If i stay with starting in jan ill probs c u there x
    Hey i got a place on adult for january! found out today, im really pleased!! guess ill see you there!! x

ReputationRep:
    Hey i got a place on adult for january! found out today, im really pleased!! guess ill see you there!! x
    Thats great. Congratulations!!! Yeah see u there! x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.