Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Small talk and finding common ground Watch

ReputationRep:
    Get a job as a waiter or something at a pub over the summer. It really helps your small talk skills. With some people the more you chatter the better they tip.

Just talk about random stuff like the weather, what they're doing over the summer, how nice the food is...anything really.

ReputationRep:
    :confused:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Sorry. I have awful social skills and don't know how to deal with people as you can probably tell. I haven't left my house for several weeks now, as an example.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    just be open and honest. dont over-analyse the situation. If youre relaxed and having a good time the conversation will flow naturally.

If youre struggling to think of things to say - make a comment about it, and about how weird it is talking to all these new people.

If im out and wanting to chat to strangers and i cant think of anything more inventive to say i almost always open with "hows your night going?" / "you having a good night?" then go from there.

It doesnt matter what you say to be honest its much more about how you say it

ReputationRep:
    if they're British talk to them about the weather.

It sets them off like crazy. Trust me.

squish.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Sorry. I have awful social skills and don't know how to deal with people as you can probably tell. I haven't left my house for several weeks now, as an example.
    That is unfortunate - its the kind of thing that is not so much taught as learned as you go - something you will, therefore, have to go through.

People lacking in social skills at university is not uncommon,and i guess it is a good place to learn - many people with similar interests in a social environment.

Initial conversations tend to be meaningless cautious things whose purpose is really just to get to know people, with no other objective. Hence, it follows that conversation will be "what course are you studying", "where are you staying", "where are you from", "when did you get here" followed by follow-up comments or questions like "I know someone studying that subject - they were very keen about..." or "what's that course like?", and this process repeats hopefully leading to a conversation.

When you first meet someone, you should be simley, pleased to meet them and interested in what they have to say, and not be too personal - superficial and relevant topics like those mentioned above. As long as you can function vaguely adequately (pretty basic - people are not exactly assessing social skills) you would find a social group and continued efforts to speak to them and get out and experience uni life will lead to university being pretty fun!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.