Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Did you choose you degree course because you loved the subject or did you go for what you thought would pay well after graduation? Or perhaps you are a combination of both?
    I did psychology for the first two years and hated it. The lecturers could NOT stop talking about statistics. I felt that I was given the wrong idea about psychology in first year because statistics were very rarely mentioned.
    Personally I would rather study a subject that I loved than do a degree in a subject just because it paid very well. Because the workload is so demanding and relentless - it is common to have 2-3 essays due in at the same time - you must have a genuine enthusiasm for your subject or you will struggle.

ReputationRep:
    Something I love. I don't see the point in being in something just for the money if you hate it, I can't think of anything worse! I'd much rather do something I enjoyed, regardless of how much it paid..(Well, within reason..!)

ReputationRep:
    Combo really. If I did what I loved I would have done Journalism, so in that way money. But if I'd done a degree purely for money I would have done something like Law. So it's a mix really.

ReputationRep:
    For the love of it. The career I want to go into pays decent money but by no means amazing money considering I will need a PhD, but doing something you love or a good wage = happy bunnies

ReputationRep:
    I want to do a Biology degree where can that take me?

ReputationRep:
    i love chemistry so decided to do at degree level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kane_Fizz)
    I want to do a Biology degree where can that take me?
    A medical examiner for CSI?

ReputationRep:
    Or a gardener.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Wigan)
    Or a gardener.
    Really???

ReputationRep:
    Im doing a politics degree because i enjoy politics. It is possible to get a well payed career from this degree as a lobyist etc, but most of the careers that pay well would be selling out my beliefs, so im not really going to get a well payed career out of it...

ReputationRep:
    Biology. Plants n shiz.

ReputationRep:
    Something I enjoy. I do believe I'll be able to get a good job with it eventually, but I picked the degree mainly because I enjoy the subject and feel that it would improve me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strath'(Grad)HistoryGirl)
    Hi

Did you choose you degree course because you loved the subject or did you go for what you thought would pay well after graduation? Or perhaps you are a combination of both?
    I did psychology for the first two years and hated it. The lecturers could NOT stop talking about statistics. I felt that I was given the wrong idea about psychology in first year because statistics were very rarely mentioned.
    Personally I would rather study a subject that I loved than do a degree in a subject just because it paid very well. Because the workload is so demanding and relentless - it is common to have 2-3 essays due in at the same time - you must have a genuine enthusiasm for your subject or you will struggle.
    Argh! Don't say that I'm applying for Psych degree in September lol. I've chosen that subject because it really interests me and I like it, don't really care about whether it leads to highly paid jobs. I don't want to be a psychologist/counsellor or anything, I just want a degree, and that happens to be a subject I like. I agree that to do any subject, you have to have enthusiasm for it or at least enjoy it otherwise you will have no motivation for getting work done.

I originally had Social Work - but after fighting two years to get a place @ my fav. uni - I got bored, and fed up of being told ''We are looking for mature people and people who have ''life experiences'' - I thought sod this, and chose Criminology and Psychology instead. But then after a long hard think, I dropped the Psychology minor and chose the Sociology minor instead.

2years later . . Im so glad I made the decision and im happy.

ReputationRep:
    Both really, maths is easily my best subject :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Both, and add respect. I like sciences so I'm studying engineering, and I was also appealed by the job and salary prospects, and the respect people give you.

ReputationRep:
    I picked mine for the love of it, definitely not the money. I was expecting to be on a salary of £11,500 upon graduation.

ReputationRep:
    I love my subject, but it also happens to be the most employable degree.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone does an English degree for the money...

ReputationRep:
    I think love of the subject > potential earnings! Personally, I would rather be doing a degree that I enjoyed than something I was only doing for the high salary.
    Anyway, many employers are just looking for people with degrees, regardless of the subject, as it is the skills they value, not necessarily the subject-specific facts learned during the degree!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.