Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a degree in law, what do YOU think?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For me, it was a combination of both. Economics is extremely interesting, I find, and also it compromises a variety of disciplines I thoroughly enjoy (including politics, statistics, law, etc.). Additionally, I need a degree in it to become a professional economist or work in economic policy formation, and of course the salaries are very tempting!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Love love love! Love love love! Love love love love love love...

(As in, the start of 'All You Need is Love' )

:love:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not actually doing law for the money, as opposed to just about everyone else. I'm doing it because I enjoy it, and it's interesting.

Doesn't mean to say that I won't end up doing history and sociology instead, just because it's really interesting

ReputationRep:
    Both, I love Business and Management and therefore I excel at it however I hear in certain roles the pay isn't bad either

ReputationRep:
    for love i would have done mechanical engineering, but for money, i have done what im doing now.

its really hard to tell whether you will still love it when you are doing a degree course. your passion/interest can change, + a uni course can transform your interest into something dreadful and dry.

of course you cant do something if you absolutely hate it, even though it offers good job prospects. personally, 40% interest, 60% money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belle-x)
    Something I love. I don't see the point in being in something just for the money if you hate it, I can't think of anything worse! I'd much rather do something I enjoyed, regardless of how much it paid..(Well, within reason..!)
    Exactly!

I chose love; I believe that it's not worth doing something for a living if you don't enjoy what it is that you do. Even if some job might get me a lot of money, I don't care. I think it’s a shame that you see so many people around who don’t spend enough time with the people in their lives - I guess I’m a sentimental person but I’d rather live with a low-paid job and a loving partner than join the rat race or try to get myself higher up the career ladder. Apart from the financial burden, this is the main reason why I decided against becoming a pilot.

ReputationRep:
    both. I happen to really enjoy a subject that could make me a lot of money in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Neither, I picked it because it's easy as.

ReputationRep:
    Love.

I learned from my first 2 mistakes (I'd previously applied for Law and then I applied for medicine - hated both, took a year out and now I'm off to read Philosophy :awesome:).

(Original post by kenbellston)
    for love i would have done mechanical engineering, but for money, i have done what im doing now.

its really hard to tell whether you will still love it when you are doing a degree course. your passion/interest can change, + a uni course can transform your interest into something dreadful and dry.

of course you cant do something if you absolutely hate it, even though it offers good job prospects. personally, 40% interest, 60% money.
    You're doing a pretty awesome degree tbh. I'm somewhat envious.

I love my subject, and although it is considered relatively employable, the areas one normally goes into after studying Mathematics are ones I have gone off completely.

ReputationRep:
    Only thing I'm good at!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be doing Creative Writing, more for the love side of things, clearly, but I could end up with £££ as a side effect due to making contacts in the literary world, or if I decide to do a PGCE and become a teacher.

What's the point in doing a course just for the money if you end up doing a related job, hating it, thus quitting and ending up doing something totally different?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt very much Archaeology is a well paid profession ;D So I chose it for the love of it

love. considering when i read about "so you want to do archaeology at university" the first thing mentioned was 'dont'. :indiff: its the best though

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do mine for both reasons I suppose more because I love it, and I'm just lucky it has potential to pay very well. But on the other hand, the money at the end was not entirely ignored.

ReputationRep:
    combination of both, but mainly because its the only subject i'm naturally good at

ReputationRep:
    You should choose a course that has both of those attributes, and hopefully something that is interesting and stimulating anyway! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/edit...ost&p=20138113

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strath'(Grad)HistoryGirl)
    Hi

Did you choose you degree course because you loved the subject or did you go for what you thought would pay well after graduation? Or perhaps you are a combination of both?
    I did psychology for the first two years and hated it. The lecturers could NOT stop talking about statistics. I felt that I was given the wrong idea about psychology in first year because statistics were very rarely mentioned.
    Personally I would rather study a subject that I loved than do a degree in a subject just because it paid very well. Because the workload is so demanding and relentless - it is common to have 2-3 essays due in at the same time - you must have a genuine enthusiasm for your subject or you will struggle.
    Make no mistake, all I care about is the $$$$ I got my mind on DOUGH 24/7 baby thats why i'm the best

ReputationRep:
    Certainly not the money lol!

Due to commence a BSc (Hons) in Motorsport Technology this September.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.