Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely doing it for the love. I couldn't imagine doing anything else, I've known I was going to study languages since I was about 14. I want to be a teacher which isn't the best paid profession and they've raised requirements (I'll have to resit Maths GCSE!) but I don't mind. It's made me even more determined. If I couldn't become a teacher, I'd settle for working in a call centre or as a secretary. As long as I could use my languages, I'd be happy

ReputationRep:
    I think that you have to love or at least really like the subject you are studying. I read history and I read and photocopied books, journals, monographs, theses, and dissertations until they were coming out my ears. If you don't have that love then you simply won't be able to put in the work necessary for a good degree. Don't forget that a degree course lasts three years in England and four in Scotland and the demands upon you get more and more while the essay markers and examiners become evermore strict in their marking. At university unlike school you will not be spoonfed information, nor will people check up on what you are doing. You are very much left to your own devices if you love the subject then you will do all that is necessary to get a degree. However if £££$$$ are what you are only interested in then I sincerely believe that you will struggle from the start.

An essay that got 70+ in first year, which is an A+ will probably only get 40-50 in the Honours year which is a C- If you are just thinking about the money you will make after graduation and have little genuine interest in the subject then I think that there is a very good chance that you will flunk the course and have to leave university without a degree!
    Whatever your friends or the media tell you getting a degree demands constant hard work and commitment.

Subjects that attract students because they are thought to lead to high paying jobs just cause overcrowding in the post-graduation market. For example a lot of people choose Law because they believe that it will lead to a high paying career. However, what tends to happen is law graduates enter a marketplace that is very overcrowded and one where employers can pick and choose from thousands of applicants for every vacancy. If you study law you might well find that the top employers and most of the rest will probably demand First class honours from applicants - or a 2:1 from a top university - and anybody with less than this will not be invited to an interview.
    So what are you going to do if you have a 2:2 or 3:3 or heaven forbid a Pass degree in law? The chances of you becoming a solicitor or barrister are slender. You will probably end up working as a paralegal in local government which doesn't have nearly the same social status or salary as a barrister or solicitor. You won't be able to stay on an do postgraduate work with anything less than a 2:1 and employers won't bother to invite you to interviews because they can 'cherrypick' from the cream of the crop.
    I think that it is better to study something you love because that way you stand a much better chance of getting a degree and getting a good degree at that.
    I love history, especially the Early Modern period but there where times when I felt under so much pressure that I could quite easily have given up essay and dissertation writing and studying/revising for Honours exams and just settled for the Pass degree.
    I don't want to put you off but your lecturers, tutors are going to really stretch you. Getting a degree is not just a matter of turning up to lectures etc and handing in coursework on time. Your lecturers will push you very hard and demand to see constant improvement from you. So please choose a subject that you genuinely love.

I have used law in this example but you can add psychology and the sciences to this as well.
    My advice to you as a person with an Honours degree is forget about the money you think that you will earn after graduation and study something that you love.

ReputationRep:
    Both
    I love sciences and i want to go into health/enviromental biology or into clinical lab work.

ReputationRep:
    People can talk forever about 'love' but money makes the world run.

ReputationRep:
    Both.. a branch of a subject I enjoy that seemingly has good prospects.

ReputationRep:
    Truthfully, money...

I was originally planning on studying film (a subject I studied at AS level and really enjoy) but I changed my mind after reading about how hard the industry is to get into.
    Realistically I will have quite a lot of debt after Uni and will want to get a good job... studying business which I do quite enjoy, I know I can get a job in any industry as it is such a generic subject (everyone needs managers etc no matter what the industry...) and I know I will have more chance of getting a job than if I studied film & tv like I intended to...
    I may still want to work in that sort of industry, who knows... I'm also interested in running my own business.

I remember a teacher telling me they did their degree in teaching and a masters degree in a subject they enjoyed...i quite like that idea, and it's something I may want to do some day...something film related or even history (I did this at gcse and AS level...really interests me)

ReputationRep:
    Love!
    You really wouldn't apply for an art history degree for the dollar :nah:

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.