Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've read that you can pay a small fee and get an internet connection in your room for the first year accomodation.

Was just wondering ... what sort of speed/quality is it? Also, is it just one big network with all the rooms around you or do you get your own IP? (Not just a router assigned one)

Just curious really,

Thanks =)

ReputationRep:
    It was really fast for me. I don't remember how fast now but it was more than worth the money I paid, I never had any problems and I'm practically glued to my computer so I would have noticed. :p:

You don't get your own IP address though, it's not an ISP like BT or Virgin.

ReputationRep:
    what?? You have to pay for your internet connection on top of your extortionate accommodation costs?

ReputationRep:
    Universities usually have immense internet - like 80+ mbps, or so. But shame UCL don't have wireless in the accomodation

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's £70/year for halls. Fast connection. Be prepared for the immense queues at the shop!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waterstorm)
    Universities usually have immense internet - like 80+ mbps, or so. But shame UCL don't have wireless in the accomodation
    but what if we just bring and set up our own router in the room to enable wireless conection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BetterThanYesterday)
    but what if we just bring and set up our own router in the room to enable wireless conection?
    Then yeah, probably. But would you need it though? I was just saying for my iPod touch :p:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    In most uni's it's not allowed as it's considered to be extending the network and is a big old security minefield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waterstorm)
    Then yeah, probably. But would you need it though? I was just saying for my iPod touch :p:
    exactly. I wanna use iPod touch via wifi in my room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoogy)
    In most uni's it's not allowed as it's considered to be extending the network and is a big old security minefield.
    lol how on earth can they know I am using my own router in my room?
    It is nearly impossible to monitor every single internet port in each room.

(Original post by Philosophising Monkey)
    But they don't enforce the rule.

The only problem with using a router is that your internet connection can be pillaged by other users.
    just out of interest, have you ever tried it by yourself?
    as to your second bit, it is not a problem really. I can just set up a password on WIFI connection quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    exactly. I wanna use iPod touch via wifi in my room.
    Fair enough, but you could live without it couldn't you? If you wanna go to the app store or something, you can do that on a laptop.. and there's also wireless hotspots around the uni I believe.

But if you could afford it, and it would be allright to do, then it would be awesome to have, cause there's loads of stuff you can do on your iPod with wifi!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't, but two of my flatmates did.

Handy for those times you just can't be arsed walking over to your desk. =]
    ohh so it workedd in the halls? (hopefully I will get Ramsay)

ReputationRep:
    Get your log-in on the first day and only buy a week's worth of internet: it's never disconnected.
    Seconding this, there is no need to buy the full year's worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caspar David Friedrich)
    Seconding this, there is no need to buy the full year's worth.
    srsly, would a voucher for a week will last for a year??

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty sure that your voucher locks your connection to your machines MAC address. It happened quite a lot in Ramsay where someone would plug their laptop into someone elses socket and then that room would lose its connection and have to be re-activated.

If you wanted to use a router you would need one with hacked firmware to allow 'Mac address spoofing' I think. That should allow you to have wireless or run an xbox etc. Have to be careful as IT can detect more than one device but not sure they would ever check.

Internet in Ramsay was reasonable this year, there were a few times where it was slow towards the end of the year, youtube was unwatchable etc. The rest of the time it was fine.

Top tip - bring your own ethernet cable and then you don't have to go to the shop to buy one and can also buy your connection over the net from your room, saving a lot of time.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people saying to only buy a one week connection? Does it last a year or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaeltpb)
    Hi,

I've read that you can pay a small fee and get an internet connection in your room for the first year accomodation.

Was just wondering ... what sort of speed/quality is it? Also, is it just one big network with all the rooms around you or do you get your own IP? (Not just a router assigned one)

Just curious really,

Thanks =)
    £70 week for UCL Halls. ( Voucher)
    Free for intercollegiate.

Both have some restrictions on what u can download etc as I rememeber I couldnt download music in intercollegiate halls was very annoying.

And yea be prepared for the horrible queing for a voucher from the UCL shop during freshers week!

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to queue for a voucher for the internet, if you've got the cable to connect your computer to the socket in the wall you just plug in and open IE or whatever internet programme you use and it'll take you straight to the page to buy a voucher. Far easier.

C-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Funk)
    I am pretty sure that your voucher locks your connection to your machines MAC address. It happened quite a lot in Ramsay where someone would plug their laptop into someone elses socket and then that room would lose its connection and have to be re-activated.

If you wanted to use a router you would need one with hacked firmware to allow 'Mac address spoofing' I think. That should allow you to have wireless or run an xbox etc. Have to be careful as IT can detect more than one device but not sure they would ever check.

Internet in Ramsay was reasonable this year, there were a few times where it was slow towards the end of the year, youtube was unwatchable etc. The rest of the time it was fine.

Top tip - bring your own ethernet cable and then you don't have to go to the shop to buy one and can also buy your connection over the net from your room, saving a lot of time.
    Thanks a lot! I think I should look into Mac address spoofing stuff. So there were no one who used wi-fi devices like iPod touch or skype phone in Ramsay last year?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.