Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cities & Places to visit in the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am planning to travel to the UK next year and I would like you to recommend me which places and cities are a "must" when you consider going to England and Scotland as a tourist.

I´ve been doing a little research and ´ve seen that the most visited places are obviously London, Cambridge, Oxford, Stonehenge, Stratford-Upon-Avon and Edinburgh from Scotland but... what about Glastonbury, Canterbury, Bath maybe...

What do you think I should not be missing If I go to the UK? I´ll be there aproximately 20 days. Is there any touristically-overrated city or place there?

Please help me, I really depend on your opinions to have a better view and to start organizing everything for the trip.

Hope you can help me, thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maromad89)
    I´ve been doing a little research and ´ve seen that the most visited places are obviously London, Cambridge, Oxford, Stonehenge, Stratford-Upon-Avon and Edinburgh from Scotland but... what about Glastonbury, Canterbury, Bath maybe...
    I wouldn't say there was anywhere "overrated" (although Edinburgh, great city it may be, seems to be becoming increasingly fake and superficial but that's just my opinion).

Newcastle and the wider area has the fastest growing toursim sector outside London and is becoming increasingly popular as a weekend destination. Or it certainly did have and is still growing at a good rate. Due to its nightlife and shopping it's long been popular for visitors from across the country and Scandanavia and the Netherlands but only now is it really growing and marketing itself worldwide. There's more than just the infamous nightlife. There's also art galleries (including the largest contemporary art space in Europe), the largest shopping centre in Europe nearby (overrated if you ask me. It's big but offers nothing more than you can get elsewhere). There's also great countryside and coastline nearby as well as great historical sites including two UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the Roman Wall and, in the city of Durham, Durham castle and cathedral. Durham cathedral is one of the architectural gems of Europe. Just don't expect to find much else to do in the city because apart from a university, a couple of museums and pretty wooded riverbanks there isn't really anything :p: Good for a day trip though.

Liverpool - Alongside Newcastle it's probably one of the prettiest "major"/"big" provincial cities in the country. Although Newcastle's architecture is largely Neo-classical, Liverpool's is grand Victorian splendour. It offers more museums than any other city outside London and, again like (but at the same time quite different to) Newcastle, has an infectious quality.

Bath - Not somewhere I've been able to really explore myself yet but I hopefully will next year. It's a gorgeous Georgian city (although it history obviously stretches back to Roman times). If you're interested in it and have the time then I'll certainly recommend a visit.

Cardiff - Quite modern, vibrant and compact. A great city to visit for at least a couple of days as it's very easy to just walk around and navigate especially considering it's a capital city. Like Newcastle and Liverpool, it's really been booming these years and there's been a large amount of redevelopment. Especially in the Cardiff Bay area. It's getting quite fashionable and stylish.

I'll try and be back later. Canterbury is another city I'd love to visit but haven't had the time to yet.

ReputationRep:
    I live very close to canterbury and its okay but obviously the fact I visit regularly means it doesn't feel like a tourist destination to me. It depends what you like to do really? I'll answer anything I can about it.

London is obviously a must, infact you could spend months In London no doubt and still not do everything.

Liverpool is a nice place and I would reccomend it as is Oxford

ReputationRep:
    Oxford. Also try Exeter - it's the second best place in the country for shopping besides London. Plus it's in the South West, a must visit region.

ReputationRep:
    That's all so Southern orientated! Come up North!

I would say Stonehenge is a bit overrated, you can't even go close to the stones but if you want to visit a stone circle there are loads in Scotland.
    I don't really know what there is in Glastonbury but Bath is supposed to be nice.

York is awesome, if quite touristy, and with your itinerary you may get an overload of olde worldeness. Durham has a really nice cathedral and castle too though, if your into that sort of thing.

You could do some countryside stuff. Take a trip into the Pennines on the Leeds-Carlisle railway or go to Goathland station in the North York Moors which was Hogsmeade station in the Harry Potter films.

Whitby is a really cool place, it's really gothic and has a very interesting history.
    And Alnwick castle and gardens are totally worth a visit, but a bit out of the way if you are getting public transport everywhere.

If you are planning on getting a lot of trains and are between 16 and 25 see if you can get a student railcard, it's about £20 and gives you 1/3 off rail fares which is well worth it.

You could go to one of the larger industrialized cities like Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle or Leeds, as there are lots of things to do there.
    But spend a lot of your time in London because it is a really great place and there is so much to do I can't imagine anyone ever getting bored!

Hope you have a nice trip, and be prepared for the weather!

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool is a beautiful place, architecture wise,last year was capital of culture. There are art galleries, museums etc... It is worth visiting....

Manchester is another major city, nicknamed as a mini London. It just had the international festival. Not just famous for it's football, but for it's industrial past. I would argue one of most innovative cities of Europe, the birthplace of many things, capitalism, ironically communism, computers etc... It is a worth a visit.

http://www.visitmanchester.com/index.aspx

ReputationRep:
    I would definatly reccomend a visit to York!, such a beautfiful place.

also, you should visit Lindisfarne!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Durham cathedral is one of the architectural gems of Europe. Just don't expect to find much else to do in the city because apart from a university, a couple of museums and pretty wooded riverbanks there isn't really anything :p: Good for a day trip though.
    Don't come today though - the Wear has burst its banks and a good deal of the city is inaccessible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    I wouldn't say there was anywhere "overrated" (although Edinburgh, great city it may be, seems to be becoming increasingly fake and superficial but that's just my opinion).

Newcastle and the wider area has the fastest growing toursim sector outside London and is becoming increasingly popular as a weekend destination. Or it certainly did have and is still growing at a good rate. Due to its nightlife and shopping it's long been popular for visitors from across the country and Scandanavia and the Netherlands but only now is it really growing and marketing itself worldwide. There's more than just the infamous nightlife. There's also art galleries (including the largest contemporary art space in Europe), the largest shopping centre in Europe nearby (overrated if you ask me. It's big but offers nothing more than you can get elsewhere). There's also great countryside and coastline nearby as well as great historical sites including two UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the Roman Wall and, in the city of Durham, Durham castle and cathedral. Durham cathedral is one of the architectural gems of Europe. Just don't expect to find much else to do in the city because apart from a university, a couple of museums and pretty wooded riverbanks there isn't really anything :p: Good for a day trip though.

Liverpool - Alongside Newcastle it's probably one of the prettiest "major"/"big" provincial cities in the country. Although Newcastle's architecture is largely Neo-classical, Liverpool's is grand Victorian splendour. It offers more museums than any other city outside London and, again like (but at the same time quite different to) Newcastle, has an infectious quality.

Bath - Not somewhere I've been able to really explore myself yet but I hopefully will next year. It's a gorgeous Georgian city (although it history obviously stretches back to Roman times). If you're interested in it and have the time then I'll certainly recommend a visit.

Cardiff - Quite modern, vibrant and compact. A great city to visit for at least a couple of days as it's very easy to just walk around and navigate especially considering it's a capital city. Like Newcastle and Liverpool, it's really been booming these years and there's been a large amount of redevelopment. Especially in the Cardiff Bay area. It's getting quite fashionable and stylish.

I'll try and be back later. Canterbury is another city I'd love to visit but haven't had the time to yet.
    Is that not Westfields?

ReputationRep:
    Manchester Liverpool Bristol London Cambridge maybe Brighton. Thye are the main destinations worth seeing.

ReputationRep:
    Go to sheffield and relise how lucky you are not to live in it.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't really say Glastonbury - it's not that exciting. I thinb=k the only thing there is the festival, which is really just a hill.
    Although I personally no longer like them -due to going too many times- I would definitely recommend Bath and Windsor.
    Leeds Castle (in Kent) is also very nice. By going there you'd also be able to see Glastonbury if you wanted to. You could also go to Bluewater shopping centre.
    If you're heading towards Bath and Stonehenge I would also recommend Wells Cathedral. It's a beautiful old Cathedral that's used for the Wells school choir. The only thing not to do is go to Weston-super Mare beach. Last time I went I lost a shoe and got stuck in muddy sand for about an hour and a half!
    Coventry Cathedral is also something different to see as it's quite modern.
    If you like theme parks and things like that I would recommend either Thorpe Park or Alton Towers - both of which have some pretty good rides.
    What sort of things do you like doing generally? I may be able to suggest a few more places for you to go to.

ReputationRep:
    Durham, Glasgow and St Andrews are worth a visit too. The first and last are definitely only day trips, but St Andrews isn't that far by public transport from Edinburgh. London will require a couple of days to do properly, but be warned - the Underground is NOT pleasant in the heat.

(Original post by maromad89)
    Hi, I am planning to travel to the UK next year and I would like you to recommend me which places and cities are a "must" when you consider going to England and Scotland as a tourist.

What do you think I should not be missing If I go to the UK? I´ll be there aproximately 20 days. Is there any touristically-overrated city or place there?

Please help me, I really depend on your opinions to have a better view and to start organizing everything for the trip.

Hope you can help me, thank you very much!
    I wouldn't got to Stonehenge but if you really wanted to it wouldn't take more than an hour to walk around, the problem with Stonehenge is getting there and back, public transport is not that greatest for it.

Places like Canterbury, Glastonbury and Stratford-upon-Avon are small and the kind of places you'd go to for an afternoon but if you have time I'd say that both are nice. Stratford is the must out of those if you have a Shakespeare interest.

I'd add a city like Liverpool to your list. I'm biased because I live there however it does have a lot of real things to offer (rather than just a shopping centre and city general atmosphere!!) Well there's 2 cathedrals, enough museums to keep you going for a good while, the beatles heritage, maritime history, impressive architecture, slave trade heritage, plenty of interesting public art and 2 very big football teams. Whatever you do go to a big city in England that isn't London, so Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, somewhere like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiehook91)
    I wouldn't really say Glastonbury - it's not that exciting. I thinb=k the only thing there is the festival, which is really just a hill.
    Leeds Castle (in Kent) is also very nice. By going there you'd also be able to see Glastonbury if you wanted to.
    Im pretty sure that glastonbury is a village and its in somerset = no where near kent! :rolleyes:
    Go to the coast at least once, UK beaches arent the best in the world but worth going to for for nostalgic purposes plus i just love all the tacky things that come with it like the rubbish fairground, seafood, icecream, rock, tourist shops selling nothing but shells etc.
    I recommend whitby for this as it has a lot of history too; has an abbey (in ruins), historic harbour (replica of a captian cook ship or something i mean how am i sposed to know i only did an essay on it lol) and its got a couple of museums too and lots of goth shops =

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Esmerelda)
    Is that not Westfields?
    I know I'm buping this thread but I missed out on your post :p: Only caught it know when searching for something else.

No it's not, it's only fourth largest in the UK (if you're referring to London's)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ingdom_by_size

The MetroCentre is the largest in the UK. It was the largest in Europe but has been taken over by a Turkish mall. But it's still (as far as I'm aware) the largest in the EU.

Edit: - I should say, there's a difference between the two which may cause some confusion. Westfield is actaually right in London, so an urban area. MetroCentre, Bluewater etc. are out of town shopping centres. Westfield's is possibly the largest urban area (eg. city centre-ish) shopping centre but at least a couple of out of town shopping centres beat it.

ReputationRep:
    West coast of Scotland and see things like the Isle of Mull, Skye, Lewis, Aaron etc.

ReputationRep:
    Two cities are worth the effort; Manchester and Glasgow.

Scotland has plenty of smaller towns and cities that are good to check out but theres not much to do if you dont like whisky, a lot of towns have breweries.

ReputationRep:
    lake district is good for walking and seeing the english countryside

as is york. <3 see the moors where wuthering heights is set in haworth

i passed a town on the train to york once called: 'giggleswick' and then another called: 'wigglesworth.' it is now my lifes aim to visit these places!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, if you're doing any sort of travel on trains - get yourself a 'Britrail' pass (http://www.britrail.com/uk - sadly, only available to non-British nationals)

Then, I very much recommend visiting Fort William (and surrounding West Coast areas) in the Scottish highlands - they're very attractive.

Another, much maligned place is the Norfolk Broads. There's some very picturesque scenery in Norfolk, but they don't seem to be very popular.

(Original post by stardustfairy)

i passed a town on the train to york once called: 'giggleswick'
    I played rugby against Giggleswick school once :cool: You must have been a bit lost if you passed it on the way to York, as it's on the way to Lancaster....... (unless you'd come from Lancaster and were on your way to Leeds??)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 31, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.