Turn on thread page Beta

Trend: Shaving eyebrows off watch

ReputationRep:
    Brazilian supermodel Adriana Lima is best known for parading her curves alongside the likes of Heidi Klum in the Victoria's Secret lingerie catalogue. Her bronzed skin, voluptuous physique and sensual pout have earned her a reputation as one of the sexiest women alive, and last year earned her around £4.5 million, with Forbes magazine ranking her as the world's fourth-highest paid model. So why would someone blessed with such feminine, sultry beauty, in the prime of womanhood (she is expecting her first child in December) want to bleach her eyebrows, transforming her from sex kitten to androgynous mannequin with one swoop of the peroxide brush?

Indeed, in the midst of a recession, waxing your brows can shake up your look for the price of a pack of peroxide or pair of tweezers. It's a severe style that does little to flatter most female faces, instead creating an otherworldly lack of expression, and an air of sexless roboticism to a woman's appearance.
    Of course, in these harsh economic times, it's certainly a way of making a dramatic style statement without splashing out on an avant-garde designer outfit.
    When times are tough, fashion frequently turns to more non-conformist looks in an attempt to plug into the edgy, unnerving tenor of the times. (There is a reason that the punk look took off in the Seventies, amid the strikes and doom and gloom of the decade.) Some of those who have already followed this trend have suggested it is, one described it, 'an optimistic, idealistic statement' which is somehow unifying because it renders men and women more asexual.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/be...#ixzz0LZ47O4U1

Adriana Lima

How the stars look without theirs:

ReputationRep:
    It's ONE ad campaign. It's certainly not a trend that's going to catch on. It's high fashion, avant garde. I honestly don't see what the big fuss is about. Blocking out eyebrows is something they do in theatre all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Wow.
    I'd do it for charity or a lot of money fershure. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'd shave one off.

ReputationRep:
    I'd shave half of each off. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    It's for an ad campaign by Givenchy. There have been a lot more ads with crazier looks than the blonde eyebrows above. No one's gonna run around shaving their eyebrows off.

ReputationRep:
    my mum has hers shaved off and tatooed on, they look real.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe anyone thinks this looks good, it's not really eyecatching and it makes the people who've done it look like they belong on a star trek set.

ReputationRep:
    That first one looks like Brian Warner :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    i'd shave off my eyebrows and grow my mono-brow area, like a heightened Hitler-tasche.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of girls in my school shave off their eyebrows and draw them back on everyday. We call them the "Sharpies".

ReputationRep:
    Ive seen people with NO eyelashes or eyebrows.

It looked horrible.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Zeuss™)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    yes, many lolls

ReputationRep:
    Its funny that is makes women seem like manly robots. I think of Kryten from Red Dwarf. Also they did this to the guy who played Gríma Wormtongue in Lord of the Rings to make him look freaky. In East Asia some women have this awful habit of shaving them off and then drawing eyebrows with a makeup pen. Don't see it catching on.

ReputationRep:
    that awfully scary, i hope it does not catch on

some look ok without them but dan radcliffe looks like a cancer patient (in a non offensive way)

ReputationRep:
    Eyebrows distinguish one's eyes, losing them is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxstace123xx)
    my mum has hers shaved off and tatooed on, they look real.
    lmao may i ask why?

ReputationRep:
    The mere thought of shaving my eyebrows off just makes me shudder! I have that heavy-brow thing going on and without them it'd just be freakish.

That Givenchy collection, more so couture than ready-to-wear, was based on this kind of ethereal, science-fiction idea. I think the lack of eyebrows definitely worked in making the models look not of this world, but it definitely won't catch on as a beauty trend (thankfully).

ReputationRep:
    Don't see any problem with it. I shave my pubes and armpits so why not complete the package by shaving the eyebrows. :eyebrow:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.