Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eddie_90)
    They were as bad as each other to be honest
    Hmmmm, I still feel that Hitler is more evil, from a purely subjective viewpoint. He intended to wipe out races and commit genocide. There was something chillingly calculated about his organised gas chambers in the extermination camps.

Then again, Stalin put huge numbers into Gulags which were essentially death camps. But it always seemed to me like a less clinical approach to murder than the Nazis and it seemed like Hitler had the ambition to kill far more people than Stalin did.

Then again, possibly I think Hitler was worse because I know more about the atrocities he commited. I only studied Stalin for a short while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vivisteiner)
    Hmmmm, I still feel that Hitler is more evil, from a purely subjective viewpoint. He intended to wipe out races and commit genocide. There was something chillingly calculated about his organised gas chambers in the extermination camps.

Then again, Stalin put huge numbers into Gulags which were essentially death camps. But it always seemed to me like a less clinical approach to murder than the Nazis and it seemed like Hitler had the ambition to kill far more people than Stalin did.

Then again, possibly I think Hitler was worse because I know more about the atrocities he commited. I only studied Stalin for a short while.
    Well this is why I think they're as bad as each other, it's difficult to pin down levels of evil.

Perhaps a historian should make a list of "pros" and "cons" about dictators, rank their actions on an 'evil scale' of 1 to 10 (1 being 'is evil enough to not tip at restaurants where 10 is stamping on puppies and kittens kind of evil)

Then create a kind of league table to fully decide who is 'the daddy' of dictators...

...I think I got a bit too into that idea...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eddie_90)
    Well this is why I think they're as bad as each other, it's difficult to pin down levels of evil.

Perhaps a historian should make a list of "pros" and "cons" about dictators, rank their actions on an 'evil scale' of 1 to 10 (1 being 'is evil enough to not tip at restaurants where 10 is stamping on puppies and kittens kind of evil)

Then create a kind of league table to fully decide who is 'the daddy' of dictators...

...I think I got a bit too into that idea...
    Yeah, although stamping on puppies and kittens isn't that evil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    I'm a fan of him on facebook.
    That's about as funny as people wearing Che T-shirts thinking it makes them rebellious.

ReputationRep:
    Stalins actions were of course unforgiveable in hindsight, but its a matter of 'for the greater good'. He had some tough decisions, I think he was a brilliant leader, he brought russia back from the brink of defeat and overturned the fascist nazi regime. credit where credits due. I am not condoning him, merely commenting on his leadership

ReputationRep:
    Nazi agenda vs. Stalinist agenda

USSR was the most diverse 'nation' on earth. America eat your heart out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vivisteiner)
    No need to be a gramma Nazi.

Anyway, I said 'badder' on purpose since later on I described my sentence sarcastically as an 'advanced summary'. The 'badder' was used to highlight that sarcasm.

but i likes being a gramma Nazi.

oh wells

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by borismor)
    That's about as funny as people wearing Che T-shirts thinking it makes them rebellious.
    I love how you're trying to make a witty analogy against my decision to join a Stalin facebook group. :cool:

Though I do agree with the Che thing

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.