The Student Room Group

How to have a successful and happy relationship

I know the titles misleading but I'm asking a question rather then offering a solution.

I've been in a relationship for 6 months. I know you're all going to say that after 6 months, me and my girlfriend should know each other well enough to trust each other and understand one another. However, it's been difficult because we've both had other stuff going on in our lives. This has led to numerous arguments, breaking up and getting back toghether and not feeling able to trust one another. Despite all this, we decided that we actually do love each other alot and want it to work. So we've both decided to try harder and make the relationship work.

So what I'm asking is what are the most imporant things in your relationship (or past relationships) that has kept that spark and helped you forget everything else all the time and just focus on loving each other and enjoying one anothers company? How do you trust each other and gain trust?

Also another question is...what do you do when neither of you have money and cannot go round each others house? Park is an idea, but the weathers always destroying that plan lol.

Sorry if this post is a bit hard to understand. I'm really tired as i type this and will be more then willing to re-iterate. Thank you in advance :smile:
Trust is never an easy thing to achieve as sometimes for people there is no way you can gain it intill it is proven. Obviously this isnt the same for most cases but just carry on as you both are and im sure in time you will have a level of trust for one another.

I think mainly funny enough trust is the corner stone of a relationship, without it or a willingness to try and achieve some you dont have a truely balances relationship.

Just be there and a good boyfriend for your girlfriend and see how it goes, you cant do much more then that.
Reply 2
I think we all want to know what how to have a successful and happy relationship, but I think it's a complex interplay of different factors that vary from couple to couple.

I think it's important to try and figure out why you both decided to go out in the first place...there must've been something there that made you both want to be together right? And if you still want to go out and you're willing to work hard at building a better relationship, there must be something there.

I think you should both try to persevere and support each other as much as possible. No relationship is without its lumps and bumps. Trust is something that is earned slowly, so if you both show that you respect and support each other enough loads be it academic achievements or otherwise, then it will definitely increase as your relationship goes on.

Also the thing that has kept me going in my relationship (and we've had a fair few problems) is actually the person I'm going out with. If you truly appreciate the person you're going out with and you're both willing to make a few sacrifices along the way (not major, uni like ones, mind) then it sort of helps.

I can sort of understand your having no money and nowhere to go issue..basically, I'm not sure if this would work for you, but if you buy the cheapest drink in say, a big cafe like a starbucks, you can actually sit there for ages without the staff actually caring..hope that helps :smile:

Sorry about the ridiculously long post...all I need to do now is follow my own advice!
Anonymous

So what I'm asking is what are the most imporant things in your relationship (or past relationships) that has kept that spark and helped you forget everything else all the time and just focus on loving each other and enjoying one anothers company? How do you trust each other and gain trust?

Also another question is...what do you do when neither of you have money and cannot go round each others house? Park is an idea, but the weathers always destroying that plan lol.

She has to be your gf as well as good friend, who you can trust. Be hones with each other, so you gain trust. It's up to you to trust her or not. I presume you'll trust her too if she's honest.

So window shopping :P or beach?

Latest

Trending

Trending