Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krakatoa)
    The GOP has been completely hijacked by the neo-cons,and for the forseeable future I can't really see any big role for the right-leaning libertarians,and your average conservative. Instead you have nutjobs like Rush Limbaugh who still have a big say in Republican direction.
    However it was quite encouraging to see Ron Paul win the straw poll at CPAC this year. I mean I don't agree with much of his domestic policies, but it is a step in the right direction away from the neo-cons,as internationally he speaks alot of sense.
    But saying that I still see the Republicans and the Democrats as having the same interests,that is,maintaining the distribution of power within the US,and regardless of who reigns supreme of Capitol Hill,I don't see that changing.
    spot on- neocons are the biggest threat to america, followed by bleeding heart democrats

what america needs, and has always flourished under, is a moderate, fiscally prudent democrat OR republican as president.

let's face it, fiscal policy is the most important determinant of a country's health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    I don't know why people like to pretend that both parties are the same when there there is clearly a very big difference between the two. That's why they can never agree on anything. One party wants to grow the size and scope of government, increase regulation, take away civil liberties (gun rights), and confiscate private property and wealth from US citizens. The other party wants to limit the power and size of the government and return the power to the people. It's a pretty clear cut case to me of who is on the side of liberty and who is on the side of tyranny.

There is no difference between the two. They reflect the interests of the lobbies that fund them not the people.

That is the core of both parties now and that was seen in the healthcare debate.

The Republicans say one thing and will do another. They claim they want a small government and yet Federal spending and power increased under Bush and Regan.

They say they want to reduce the deficit but yet it increased under Regan and Bush.

They say they are against Government intervention in healthcare and yet they support Medicare, which is a fiscal disaster.

They say they are against the stimulus and yet they are writing letters to the Government begging for money.

ETC ETC ETC.

The list goes on.

There are very few True Republicans left.....IE Ron Paul.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    There is no difference between the two. They reflect the interests of the lobbies that fund them not the people.

That is the core of both parties now and that was seen in the healthcare debate.

The Republicans say one thing and will do another. They claim they want a small government and yet Federal spending and power increased under Bush and Regan.

They say they want to reduce the deficit but yet it increased under Regan and Bush.

They say they are against Government intervention in healthcare and yet they support Medicare, which is a fiscal disaster.

They say they are against the stimulus and yet they are writing letters to the Government begging for money.

ETC ETC ETC.

The list goes on.

Ron Paul's the man, shame he's about 140 years old though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)

ETC ETC ETC.

The list goes on.

If both parties were the same, this abomination of a heathcare bill would have passed and been signed into law already.

ReputationRep:
    If both parties were the same, this abomination of a heathcare bill would have passed and been signed into law already.
    Aw naw, why've you bought into Fox News' 'Obama's a communist' boulderdash?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Aw naw, why've you bought into Fox News' 'Obama's a communist' boulderdash?
    I am working long hours now and have no time to watch any of the 24 hour cable news shows during primetime.

Have you bought into BBC's 'Obama's the messiah' boulderdash?

ReputationRep:
    Well, but better than McCain or Palin ;-)

ReputationRep:
    No, they are same in that they represent those who lobby them as I said before.

The Republicans clearly don't believe what they say otherwise they wouldn't support Medicare either.

ReputationRep:
    I am working long hours now and have no time to watch any of the 24 hour cable news shows during primetime.

Have you bought into BBC's 'Obama's the messiah' boulderdash?
    No, I hate him just as much as you hate him, but I'm not calling him a communist as he's far from one.

ReputationRep:
    No, I hate him just as much as you hate him, but I'm not calling him a communist as he's far from one.
    My point was that it's kind of funny for so many of you to criticize fox when you have a state funded news outlet that has such a slobbering love affair with Obama, it can't report on any news here objectively. And unlike fox it's coercively funded.

I honestly don't know how you can stand it.

ReputationRep:
    My point was that it's kind of funny for so many of you to criticize fox when you have a state funded news outlet that has such a slobbering love affair with Obama, it can't report on any news here objectively. And unlike fox it's coercively funded.

I honestly don't know how you can stand it.
    Stand what the BBC - I don't watch BBC News, Sky News or ITV News for that matter, they're all biased, especially towards Israel, but let's not get into that shall we.

I watch Russia Today and have found myself watching Al Jazeera, in arabic, a few times.

Fox News is a joke, you simply have to look at a few of their people, Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly, enough said.

I find BBC News more worthwhile than Glenn Beck, who's going around preaching that Obama's a communist and not only that, he's also warning us of an economic holocaust, which really does sum Fox News up.

ReputationRep:
    Glenn Beck discoverd that the lyrics of 'born in the usa' are anti-American. So he's a hero. A little late, though. So don't flame him nor fox, thanks.

http://bigthink.com/ideas/19039

ReputationRep:
    Stand what the BBC - I don't watch BBC News, Sky News or ITV News for that matter, they're all biased, especially towards Israel, but let's not get into that shall we.

I watch Russia Today and have found myself watching Al Jazeera, in arabic, a few times.

Fox News is a joke, you simply have to look at a few of their people, Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly, enough said.

I find BBC News more worthwhile than Glenn Beck, who's going around preaching that Obama's a communist and not only that, he's also warning us of an economic holocaust, which really does sum Fox News up.
    Beck and O'Reilly are news analysis shows. No one in this country actually thinks they are "news". Same thing with the far-left Rachel Maddow Show and Countdown with Keith Olbermann. I think we do a better job of unbiased reporting outside of the news analysis shows. The Fox Report is a fast-paced American nightly news program on Fox News Channel that starts at 7:00 PM EST, hosted by Shepard Smith, and I think he does a pretty good job delivering the news as objectively as possible.

You like Ron Paul? Suprising ...

Shame he doesn't believe in evolution. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)

You didn't honestly believe I was a communist did you?

He's the only genuine candidate around these days, but he's too 'radical' for too many Americans. If the Republicans nominated him I'm pretty sure they'd win a landslide victory come the next election.

You didn't honestly believe I was a communist did you?

He's the only genuine candidate around these days, but he's too 'radical' for too many Americans. If the Republicans nominated him I'm pretty sure they'd win a landslide victory come the next election.
    I've never really known what you are, are you a libertarian then?

And I like to think he would win the presidency, but I'm not too sure really. Probably wont happen anyway sadly.

ReputationRep:

How does believing we are decended from monkeys have anything to do with being a good president?

ReputationRep:
    I've never really known what you are, are you a libertarian then?

And I like to think he would win the presidency, but I'm not too sure really. Probably wont happen anyway sadly.
    I don't exactly know as I'm uncertain on whether to let the banks go bankrupt or bail them out issue, which would, ultimately, settle this once and for all.

If Ron Paul is the Republican nominee, I'd expect him to be the favourite, but the Republicans, as usual, will throw their chance away and nominate Palin or someone even worse.

ReputationRep:
    I don't exactly know as I'm uncertain on whether to let the banks go bankrupt or bail them out issue, which would, ultimately, settle this once and for all.

If Ron Paul is the Republican nominee, I'd expect him to be the favourite, but the Republicans, as usual, will throw their chance away and nominate Palin or someone even worse.
    You think Ron Paul could beat Obama in 2012? He'd be 77 years old by then, I'm not sure he'd have it in him at that age.

ReputationRep:
    You think Ron Paul could beat Obama in 2012? He'd be 77 years old by then, I'm not sure he'd have it in him at that age.
    Age is just a number - Reagan was 77 when he finished his 2nd term and McCain will turn 74 in August(the president the US could've had - not that I like him, I think he's a ******* idiot).

The world but more importantly the US have seen that Obama isn't all he was hyped up to be. Thing's could always change, but having seen how weak he is at getting bipartisanship(practically begging in some cases), how weak he's been on Israel and their settlements in East Jerusalem, how weak he's been on the banks(especially AIG), the list goes on. Over all, he's a very weak president, although I hated George W. Bush, he was and still is a far better politician than Obama will ever be.

Anyway, I don't see the point in even debating this, Palin will more than likely be the Republican nominee :facepalm2:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.