Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Crossfit or Freeweights--->Please Help Watch

    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Heyz, I am currently deciding between joining a crossfit gym or Fitness First to use their free weights. Was hoping to get some advice on which is better.

    My aims are to build some muscle but mainly lose about 5kgs off my weight over the next 2 months. The reason its 2 months, is because that is how long I'm back for the holz. After that, I'll be going back to uni to use my uni gym which is similar to that of Fitness First; meaning not a crossfit gym.

    Any advice will be really helpful. Thankyou
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really matter.

    Just remember that exercise is only 25% of the battle, the other 75% is down to what you eat.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)
    It doesn't really matter.

    Just remember that exercise is only 25% of the battle, the other 75% is down to what you eat.
    Surely its more like 25% exercise 25% food and 50% genes.

    OP, is there any real gyms around you (gyms rather than health clubs) their usually cheaper and better stocked for free weights/experienced people around.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I might as well be useful as well, and not a total troll.

    Anyway, you can certainly join Crossfit now, but you're going to likely be scaling the weights for the WODs by quite a lot. You're going to find them quite difficult as you are not likely that strong yet.

    Though, you haven't said what level you are at right now; what are your stats? Ht, wt, bench, deadlift, squat?

    Rippetoe almost always recommends that novices (if you are one), do Starting Strength first, to get their squat up to over 140kg. This will enable to do the WODs without scaling and the trainees will get the most benefit.

    However, I can see why starting Crossfit now could be useful for you. 1st, your main goal is to lose weight, though only being 5kg over is a little gay to be worried about losing weight. But 2nd, you'll be taught how to do correct barbell exercises.

    Oh and Oven, thanks for the insightful "advice", but you're not helpful; bonehead.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Surely its more like 25% exercise 25% food and 50% genes.

    OP, is there any real gyms around you (gyms rather than health clubs) their usually cheaper and better stocked for free weights/experienced people around.
    There's nothing he can do about his genes so it's best he doesn't consider that as a factor.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    I might as well be useful as well, and not a total troll.

    Anyway, you can certainly join Crossfit now, but you're going to likely be scaling the weights for the WODs by quite a lot. You're going to find them quite difficult as you are not likely that strong yet.

    Though, you haven't said what level you are at right now; what are your stats? Ht, wt, bench, deadlift, squat?

    Rippetoe almost always recommends that novices (if you are one), do Starting Strength first, to get their squat up to over 140kg. This will enable to do the WODs without scaling and the trainees will get the most benefit.

    However, I can see why starting Crossfit now could be useful for you. 1st, your main goal is to lose weight, though only being 5kg over is a little gay to be worried about losing weight. But 2nd, you'll be taught how to do correct barbell exercises.

    Oh and Oven, thanks for the insightful "advice", but you're not helpful; bonehead.

    It's not really a decision between training crossfit and "training with freeweights", so much as a decision between a crossfit gym and a Fitness first. OP's bank balance will probably thank him for using a similarly equipped crossfit gym.

    Also, people that try to split training into percentage components are quite clearly suffering paralysis from analysis. As a beginner it is 50% learning to work hard, and 50% actually doing it. Simple as.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    It's not really a decision between training crossfit and "training with freeweights", so much as a decision between a crossfit gym and a Fitness first. OP's bank balance will probably thank him for using a similarly equipped crossfit gym.

    Also, people that try to split training into percentage components are quite clearly suffering paralysis from analysis. As a beginner it is 50% learning to work hard, and 50% actually doing it. Simple as.
    +1 for the sig!
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Read the contracts for/look around both. Some CrossFit gyms are really ****** or so I've heard, like they don't let you work out on your own and you have to turn up at certain times. A good CrossFit gym will be better than an average Fitness First. It should have plenty of free weights so there is really nothing you can do at a Fitness First that you can't do at a well equipped CrossFit gym.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    I might as well be useful as well, and not a total troll.

    Anyway, you can certainly join Crossfit now, but you're going to likely be scaling the weights for the WODs by quite a lot. You're going to find them quite difficult as you are not likely that strong yet.

    Though, you haven't said what level you are at right now; what are your stats? Ht, wt, bench, deadlift, squat?

    Rippetoe almost always recommends that novices (if you are one), do Starting Strength first, to get their squat up to over 140kg. This will enable to do the WODs without scaling and the trainees will get the most benefit.

    However, I can see why starting Crossfit now could be useful for you. 1st, your main goal is to lose weight, though only being 5kg over is a little gay to be worried about losing weight. But 2nd, you'll be taught how to do correct barbell exercises.

    Oh and Oven, thanks for the insightful "advice", but you're not helpful; bonehead.

    My stats aren't great. Height: 185cm. Weight:82kg. Bench:60 kg. Sqaut and deadlift about 72.5 kg.

    Lol I'm not worried about the extra 5 kg but obviously I'll prefer to have it off my tummy.
 
 
 
Reply
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reply
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.