Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice; dying my hair? (pics) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hellooo. I'd like to dye my hair before I go to university. I'm not looking for anything extreme (I don't want to dye my entire hair green or something). Essentially I'm looking to put a colour in my hair, but I don't know what sort of style or pattern to put it in, as i've never done it before. I'm thinking electric blue or a red, as my hair is naturally black.

Anybody got any suggestions?
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    no.

natural hair colour.yes.

why would you want blue or red hair?

ReputationRep:
    How is electric blue not an extreme colour?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenerifeRockstar)
    mmm..I think you should go see your doctor.

You look too...EMO...that can be health hazardous, and if you add colors you´d become "scene"

basically an Emo that is not fakely depressed all the time.

Nobody wants a happy EMO

This is true, no one likes a happy emo it upsets the balance of the universe. You don't want that now do you?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think you look good in your natural colour. Don't dye.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Please don't dye your hair! Looks great as is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsystoleUK)
    Hellooo. I'd like to dye my hair before I go to university. I'm not looking for anything extreme (I don't want to dye my entire hair green or something). Essentially I'm looking to put a colour in my hair, but I don't know what sort of style or pattern to put it in, as i've never done it before. I'm thinking electric blue or a red, as my hair is naturally black.

Personally I think natural hair looks better, but if you really want to dye it a bright colour I think that a rich purple stripe (the colour of cadburys chocolate wrappers) would look quite good. I'd have a single slice under your fringe, kind of like this, but in different colours
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/168/4...19123691_b.jpg (sorry about the picture it was hard finding one which showed what I meant).

Whatever coulour you decide to dye your hair make sure you go to a hairdresser. She will need to bleach it before applying the colour. Also remember that the colour will fade quite quickly (it won't stay really bright for very long), when you get to uni will you be able to keep getting it recoloured?

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest neon blue and purple

ReputationRep:
    I think a purple, blue or red would look great! If you have it in strips and layers, perhaps on your fringe as well as the top/sides.

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

I'd do just the tips, personally. You'll have to bleach it first though, or the colour won't hold, but if you've got any friends who dye their own hair, you could ask them to do it - going the hairdresser is stupidly expensive and a lot don't have the bright colours you want. Blue Banana have the dyes, as do New Look atm, otherwise, try eBay

ReputationRep:
    I would say don't do it - you're so lucky to have naturally black hair. I gotta re-dye mine black today, suuuch effort!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I would say don't do it - you're so lucky to have naturally black hair. I gotta re-dye mine black today, suuuch effort!
    What colour is your hair naturally? It's gorgeous :3

ReputationRep:
    What colour is your hair naturally? It's gorgeous :3
    Why thankyou! Naturally, I'm a light to mid brown with a red tinge. lol. Utterly boring!

ReputationRep:
    Why thankyou! Naturally, I'm a light to mid brown with a red tinge. lol. Utterly boring!
    Black & brunette > blonde :yes:

(No offense anyone : P)

ReputationRep:
    I've spent the past 2 years growing out hairdye! I'm an advocate for staying natural. And your hair is so shiny and healthy! Don't mess it up with bleach.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, that's my natural colour too, except I've got tons of natural blonde streaks in it. It's quite nice really, but I've been thinking about putting either some black chunks in the underneath layers, or a few blue ones...mainly so that I don't have to deal with roots growing out should I dye the top layers!

And to make this random post relevent for the OP, I'd say do something quite understated if anything. Maybe a few streaks in the underneath bit of your fringe? Then they aren't BAM! in your face, but they're still obviously there, if you see what I'm getting at?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's really nice as it is :] a little bit of electric blue could be quite hot though, but not too much.

ReputationRep:
    I really think natural color is great. But if you insist, try a streak of blue. Definitely don't go pink though.

But again, you're going to uni for the first time so I suggest you keep it simple and make some good first impressions before you go crazy!

ReputationRep:
    Don't dye your hair it's such a nice colour as it is!! But if you really really want to a streak of purple (cadburys dairy milk bar colour as somebody suggested above)!!

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of blue

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.