Turn on thread page Beta

A levels for Anesthetist? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im abaout to take my a-levels and i also have an interest of becoming an anesthetist. I know it takes years of training and has lots of competition for the courses but are there any specific a levels i should be taking?

At the moment my choices are:
    English, Biology, Chemistry & Psychology

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    You need to enter medicine first, and complete your degree. Once you completed your basic medical degree (5 years), you'll need to do 2 years of foundation training, as a junior doctor. Once you completed that you can choose your specialty, and each specialty training requires a different amount of time, ranging from 3-8 years.

Your first step would be to enter medical school and finish your medical degree; normally you'll need AAA/AAB minimum, and have taken the UKCAT/BMAT. Really you should focus on entering medical school first.

ReputationRep:
    General studies - it will prepare you for your years of newspaper reading and Times crossword completing as an Anaesthetist.

Billykwok gives you more sensible advice.

ReputationRep:
    At this stage, medicine is medicine. Just follow all the advice for admission to a medical degree.

Make sure you rule at crosswords.

ReputationRep:
    At 15/16 with no proper experience of any specialty I very much doubt that you're in a position to commit to Anaesthetics. Just concentrate on actually making it out the other side in 7/8 years first.

ReputationRep:
    Anaesthetics is probably one of the few specialities in which having Physics A level is of some use as 1/3 of written exam for primary FRCA is applied Physics.

However at this stage all you need to focus on is getting As in A levels. Go for subjects that you are intrested in. Your choices are perfectly fine. You will probably change your mind about speciality a few time so don't worry about this now. It would be pointless to take Physics if you don't enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meep-Em)
    Hi, im abaout to take my a-levels and i also have an interest of becoming an anesthetist. I know it takes years of training and has lots of competition for the courses but are there any specific a levels i should be taking?

Maybe learning how to correctly spell the name of your desired profession should be your first priority?

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me ridiculously when people have decided, at the age of 16, that they want to commit to something tremendously specific, and most probably for some ****** reason

ReputationRep:
    Your A-levels are fine. As others have said, don't commit yourself to a single specialty right now, just focus on getting into medicine.

(Original post by Lady_KaKa)
    Maybe learning how to correctly spell the name of your desired profession should be your first priority?
    It was correct. Granted, it was the American spelling. Get out of the thread if you have nothing constructive to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_KaKa)
    That made me think actualy. Anesthetist is not necessarily misspelled. It is correct in American English but refers to a slightly different profession. Anesthetists in US are not doctors but nurses or medical technicians as opposed to anesthesiologists. We are starting to get this split in UK as well with Physicians' Assistant (Anaesthesia).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replys and just so everyone knows, i havent committed to anything yet - it was just a profession that i thought may be interesting so I was simply asking what subjects you would need to go into something like that.
    Thankyou anyway =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asclepius)
    At 15/16 with no proper experience of any specialty I very much doubt that you're in a position to commit to Anaesthetics. Just concentrate on actually making it out the other side in 7/8 years first.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meep-Em)

Those will be fine to get u in to med school but consider physics
    as it is integral in anesthetics acording to one I spoke to due to fluid dynamclics etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    That made me think actualy. Anesthetist is not necessarily misspelled. It is correct in American English but refers to a slightly different profession. Anesthetists in US are not doctors but nurses or medical technicians as opposed to anesthesiologists. We are starting to get this split in UK as well with Physicians' Assistant (Anaesthesia).
    Is that the same as an Operating Dept Practitioner/ODP?

Oh, and my Mac really doesn't want me to write anaesthetist, it has a terrible argument with me every time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AEH)
    Is that the same as an Operating Dept Practitioner/ODP?

Oh, and my Mac really doesn't want me to write anaesthetist, it has a terrible argument with me every time.
    It isn't. The role of ODPs is to assist be it the surgeon or the anaesthetist. Those who work with the anaesthetist check the machines, often drow up drugs, prepere stuff for intubation, set up monitoring etc They do not administer anaesthesia and should not be left in charge of a patient under GA. ODPs also work in other area of theatre such as scrub and recovery.

Physicians' Assistant (Anaesthesia) have much more autonomy. Pretty much on level of an anaesthetics SHO. They can be left in charge of patient under GA but should be directly supervised during induction and emergence. They do not rotate to any other areas of work in theatres like ODP do.

Here is some more info: http://www.rcoa.ac.uk/index.asp?PageID=1316

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    General studies - it will prepare you for your years of newspaper reading and Times crossword completing as an Anaesthetist.

Billykwok gives you more sensible advice.
    lmao so true

ReputationRep:
    "omgz lolz i wantz to be a trauma surgeon!!!"

But on a serious note - how can you be so sure before you've even applied for a medical degree?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    But on a serious note - how can you be so sure before you've even applied for a medical degree?!
    Ignorance :dontknow:

The automatic question I get asked after saying I will study medicine is, 'what speciality will you go into?'

They then get taken aback when I say I don't know and have virtually no understanding about pretty much all specialities.

It seems sort of expected you know :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Ignorance :dontknow:

The automatic question I get asked after saying I will study medicine is, 'what speciality will you go into?'

They then get taken aback when I say I don't know and have virtually no understanding about pretty much all specialities.

It seems sort of expected you know :dontknow:
    yeah, i get that a lot. when i tell people im going to medical school the next question is usually - "to do what?"! after ive explained that one i usually get - "yes but what kind of doctor will you be?". people just cant seem to grasp the concept that you dont get to choose until years after you start. its quite frustrating trying to explain it. :woo:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.