Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I get that when I tell people I'm at medical school - but then I do know what I want to go into

People get quite upset if you have a good idea what you want to do, especially if they don't know!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that there is anything wrong with making long term plans providing that you remain open minded and do not consider them set in stone. With the recent changes to the career structure you pretty much need to make your mind 2 years after graduation. Med school is an ideal time to start exploring further any particular areas you may have intrest in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Haha, I get that when I tell people I'm at medical school - but then I do know what I want to go into

People get quite upset if you have a good idea what you want to do, especially if they don't know!
    oooohhh, what do you want to go into? i only know that i dont want to go into opthalmology (cos i dont like looking at eyes!). other than that im pretty open. i quite like haematology and paediatrics at the minute though.

ReputationRep:
    I may have already revealed it.

Well that /emergency medicine in general. I am open minded to other experiences, but I'm usually pretty good at knowing what I'm into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    I don't think that there is anything wrong with making long term plans providing that you remain open minded and do not consider them set in stone. With the recent changes to the career structure you pretty much need to make your mind 2 years after graduation. Med school is an ideal time to start exploring further any particular areas you may have intrest in.
    The reality is that you have even less time than to choice because you will have to apply for your ST/CT/SHO (or whatever new title is bestowed) position after 6 months of your F2 (so 18 months post graduation). If you contemplate sitting the GP entrance exam that time is reduced even further if you hope to prepare properly for it.

Having said that choosing before medical school is probably a little premature. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meep-Em)
    Hi, im abaout to take my a-levels and i also have an interest of becoming an anesthetist. I know it takes years of training and has lots of competition for the courses but are there any specific a levels i should be taking?

At the moment my choices are:
    English, Biology, Chemistry & Psychology
    Whatever you need for medicine

Chemistry + one science + anything else academic to A grade or A* if that exists.

I have heard it involved physics

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.