Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    One heck of a century to have lived through.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    Funny you should say that, really.

In 1000 years, will the 20th century be seen as important?

There were the two World Wars, atomic weapons, the internet... but who's to say that in the 28th century for example things won't happen with a much greater impact, incomprehendable right now?

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

Can you imagine what it must have been like growing up compared to what we have now. When he was born we still had the British, German and Ottoman Empire as well as Tsarist Russia.

ReputationRep:
    Rip

ReputationRep:
    RIP Henry, I hope you find peace and renewed vigour in your place of rest. A true hero that will always hold a place within our hearts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them.

RIP
    We will remember them.

RIP Sir, and thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicious Fishes)
    Funny you should say that, really.

In 1000 years, will the 20th century be seen as important?

There were the two World Wars, atomic weapons, the internet... but who's to say that in the 28th century for example things won't happen with a much greater impact, incomprehendable right now?
    It's hard to compare and historical information grows thin the further back you go, but I do think the 20th Century will go down as a period of very rapid and dramatic transformation - technolgical, economic, political and social. In some ways it seems to me that this "progress" has already begun to slow down. I think the difference between 1900 and 1950 was bigger than the difference between 1950 and 2000, which (obviously pure speculation), will be bigger than the difference between 2000 and 2050.

I'm not saying I would necessarily wanted to have lived through two world wars myself, but ol' Henry was certainly around for some pretty important stuff. Thanks to him for his sacrifices in any case.

ReputationRep:
    I remember watching him putting a wreath down on Remembrance Day last year.

What a hero, may he rest in peace.

ReputationRep:
    RIP to a true hero.

ReputationRep:
    Rip
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's hard to compare and historical information grows thin the further back you go, but I do think the 20th Century will go down as a period of very rapid and dramatic transformation - technolgical, economic, political and social. In some ways it seems to me that this "progress" has already begun to slow down. I think the difference between 1900 and 1950 was bigger than the difference between 1950 and 2000, which (obviously pure speculation), will be bigger than the difference between 2000 and 2050.

I'm not saying I would necessarily wanted to have lived through two world wars myself, but ol' Henry was certainly around for some pretty important stuff. Thanks to him for his sacrifices in any case.
    I see your point, and it was well made. None of us can predict how humanity will progress, I suppose.

I agree with you on your last paragraph, that's for sure.

Anyone think we need a massive memorial service simular to michael jacksons for this man, if not all the vetrans and soldiers who have died for their country in recent wars? Remeberance day doesn't seem enough these days.

ReputationRep:
    Very sad to hear, RIP!

The RAF have released a statement regarding his death (he was a founder of RAF)

"It is with deep regret that the Royal Air Force has learned of Henry Allingham’s death. Henry was a founder member of the Royal Air Force and his sad passing is a milestone in history. Henry was an inspiration to many and his thirst for life, cheery disposition and a desire to help others was his mark. He was a proud supporter of today’s Royal Air Force and we, in turn, were able to learn much from his wise words and vast experience. On behalf of the Royal Air Force, I offer our sincere condolences to all of Henry’s family and friends. He was a great man who will be sorely missed.

Air Chief Marshal Sir Glenn Torpy
    Chief of the Air Staff"

ReputationRep:
    Rest in Peace

*salutes*

ReputationRep:
    R.I.P
    He went the best way, peacefully in his sleeep.

ReputationRep:
    The discraceful thing is that while Michael Jackson's memorial service was apparently watched by 1 billion people worldwide [could be wrong on that one], I highly doubt that Henry Allingham's death will even register with the majority of the UK population.

While I don't personally believe in an afterlife, for Mr. Allingham's sake I hope I'm wrong.

He deserves there to be one.

ReputationRep:
    RIP a true hero! :rip: What a life!

I don't want to live that long though! :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)

Can you imagine what it must have been like growing up compared to what we have now. When he was born we still had the British, German and Ottoman Empire as well as Tsarist Russia.
    Would've been so cool to talk to him!

ReputationRep:
    “When you go home,
    tell them of us and say,
    for your tomorrow,
    we gave our today.”

R.I.P.

ReputationRep:
    Great fellow.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.