Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hero!

ReputationRep:
    RIP, but come on, the man was 113 years old

ReputationRep:
    that's all the ww1 veterans dead now isn't it? or are there some from other countries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    that's all the ww1 veterans dead now isn't it? or are there some from other countries
    No there's two men from WW1 left. One is 108 the other 111.

:rip: these men deserve more respect than they are given. His death will probably not even bother some of this nation adn it should as if it hadn't been for him or his comrades we wouldn't be sitting here today living the life we do.

I know there's a petition on the Downing St website to give the last veteran on his death a state funeral. Even if not that just a memorial to let those who want to give their thanks to these remarkable men.

ReputationRep:
    RIP Henry.

A real Hero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sagittarius_GBR)
    “When you go home,
    tell them of us and say,
    for your tomorrow,
    we gave our today.”

R.I.P.
    That's beautiful.

May he rest in peace.

ReputationRep:
    This man was an absolute hero.

I always find lives that long impossible to comprehend, I mean, he's probably the only British person who may have - just - actually remembered the reign of Queen Victoria. When he was born, in June 1896, Britain was surely the most powerful country in the world, and in his lifetime he has watched that status crumble. He saved us in 2 world wars, seen the invention of television, planes and computers. What a life he had.

I mean, he was 73 in the year of the frikkin moon landings! That's just unbelievable.

ReputationRep:
    A brave man to live with some horrific memories for so long, with his children dying before him

It must have been hell to live through one world war, and then another...

ReputationRep:
    Wow, what an incredible life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Anyone think we need a massive memorial service simular to michael jacksons for this man, if not all the vetrans and soldiers who have died for their country in recent wars? Remeberance day doesn't seem enough these days.
    i think we are doing something here in brighton for him?? heard something about it earlier hope its true!

ReputationRep:
    R.I.P. dude.

ReputationRep:
    R.I.P

A proper British legend that chap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meagz)
    Ah no he's dead?

RIP. I have the utmost respect for this man.

He jokingly attributed his longevity to "cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women".

HERO.
    Can I just say, your sig... how do you know me so well! I was sat exactly like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
    Can I just say, your sig... how do you know me so well! I was sat exactly like that.
    Because i'm watching you :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    He lived through 6 monarchs!

RIP.

ReputationRep:
    Very sad, just hope we never forget him and all the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Would've been so cool to talk to him!
    Yeah he seemed like an awesome guy. Cracked a joke now and then on the news.

Is he the last WW1 vet?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Yeah he seemed like an awesome guy. Cracked a joke now and then on the news.

Is he the last WW1 vet?
    There are 5 more. 1 Brit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaniqua)
    He lived through 6 monarchs!

RIP.
    6?!!! OMG! :eek3: I can't even name the last 6 monarchs! :o:

Why's this thread only 3 pages long? :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Did he have any say over fighting during WW1?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.