Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    last edited

ReputationRep:
    Well who teaches you at home? Them surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by python38)
    I'm applying to study Law this autumn; since I'm applying to Cambridge and want to be interviewed overseas, I need to get a UCAS reference in time for it to arrive at Cambridge by the 15th September. However, since I'm homeschooled, I'm not sure who to ask. On the UCAS site, it says:

http://www.ucas.com/students/startap...ly09/reference

However, I'm not sure who I could ask. Can it just be anyone who's worked with me academically?
    It says tutor, and since someone has helped you with your studies then they are a tutor

ReputationRep:
    Your parents - if they were responsible fo yo education.
    If not, the external tutors
    If you acquire an interview you'll certainly have an opportunity to discuss being homeschooled.

ReputationRep:
    My mum used to be responsible for all my education, but I've mostly worked independently for the past few years. However, I'll probably be working with a tutor/teacher at some point during the next few months (I'm applying to some American universities and need recommendations for them, too.) I guess I can just ask them, then, as obviously a parental recommendation wouldn't be very objective.

Thanks
    I can see where your concerns would lie with the parental reference not being very objective ... but under the circumstances, I'm sure they'll be aware. And your potential tutor means you'll be sitting sweet.

And besides, parents are the most brutal sometimes :rolleyes: - my mum taught me french; 2 years of going first and having to have the answer for everything = exhausting.

ReputationRep:
    I would be inclined to ask one of your tutors-to-be to be your referee, provided they have plenty of time to get to know you, how you work, and what your strengths/weaknesses are first.

Regardless of how un-parent-like your parents might be when teaching you, they have know you all their life, they probably know how you think better than anyone, and no matter how objective a reference they try to write for you, it will be difficult for anyone to read it without thinking, 'but they're talking about their child'.
    I know for a fact that when my mum was marking some written work that my younger brother had done, she would know what he had meant to write, and that he had the correct answer in his head, but he wrote it down using an abuse of notation, so it was technically wrong - but because she knew what he meant to communicate, part of her wanted to mark it as right. It's for that kind of reason that I think a reference from someone less close to you would be a much better reflection of your abilities to whoever is reading the reference.

ReputationRep:
    My mum used to be responsible for all my education, but I've mostly worked independently for the past few years. However, I'll probably be working with a tutor/teacher at some point during the next few months (I'm applying to some American universities and need recommendations for them, too.) I guess I can just ask them, then, as obviously a parental recommendation wouldn't be very objective.

Thanks
    You definitely need someone who is not a parent. If there's time, a tutor who has got to know you would be best. If not, it will have to be someone 'of standing' who knows you well - and who can explain your circumstances.

It might also be worth contacting Cambridge to explain the circumstances and to ask them what they advise. Whatever is good enough for Cambridge will probably do for everywhere else.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.