Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bemy)
    No the man isn't her dad. Never said he was.

Why he's not allowed in the house and why he was wanted isn't really important, it was minor, nothing as serious as murder or rape.

And her window has a catch on it, and tons of dvds on the window sill. As well as blinds. It would take more than a few seconds.

I'm sorry it doesn't add up, I am going by what she told me. I just wanted to know what would happen to her. Thanks for your help.
    I see.

In any case, your story makes no sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    Not my story, my sister's story. I'm trying to explain, but I'm not the one who's going to court for it, so I don't need to get my story straight

To be honest, I didn't ask if it made sense. I asked if she would go to prison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bemy)
    Aww thanks.

Well, my older sister was arrested back in December, as her door was locked and the police officers were trying to get into her room. She apparently took too long to answer the door, and this meant that my mum's boyfriend jumped through the window and ran off.
    Long story.
    But I was just wondering what the court might decide? She has court this coming week, and I'm panicking about it! Could she go to prison (she's 16) or am I just worrying way too much?
    Easy. Music was too loud so didn't hear the door. Oops. Or was naked masturbating so it took time to dress and clean up. The list is endless. Sure, citizens have a duty to cooperate with the law enforcement agencies. However this should be voluntary and I don't think we are obliged to actively help the police. There is a big difference between a deliberate act and failure to act (i.e. omission).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bemy)
    Because the local council lady - head of housing or something - says so. It's not a regular thing, just whenever they get told he does something wrong, they come and raid the house to see if he's in here.
    at least it sounds like the police is efficient in your area. where do you live?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bemy)
    Anyone had any experiences in going to court for obstructing police?
    Get a solicitor, and make a complain to the IPCC. That would keep them busy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    at least it sounds like the police is efficient in your area. where do you live?
    Buckinghamshire. They can be efficient for some things, other major things they aren't as great. It varies.

ReputationRep:
    Easy. Music was too loud so didn't hear the door. Oops. Or was naked masturbating so it took time to dress and clean up. The list is endless. Sure, citizens have a duty to cooperate with the law enforcement agencies. However this should be voluntary and I don't think we are obliged to actively help the police. There is a big difference between a deliberate act and failure to act (i.e. omission).
    While the man was in there giving her presents? :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bemy)
    Not my story, my sister's story. I'm trying to explain, but I'm not the one who's going to court for it, so I don't need to get my story straight

To be honest, I didn't ask if it made sense. I asked if she would go to prison.
    OK, attitude needs sorting. I am offering help, have informed you upon the law and possible sentencing that applies with this case.

I cannot offer 100% advice if the story does not make sense or I am ill informed.

In this case though, it doesn't sound too drastic and I expect a fine.

So you would rather help the criminal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terryw)
    OK, attitude needs sorting. I am offering help, have informed you upon the law and possible sentencing that applies with this case.

I cannot offer 100% advice if the story does not make sense or I am ill informed.

In this case though, it doesn't sound too drastic and I expect a fine.
    It doesn't need sorting, I'm just frustrated at people telling me that 'my' story doesn't make sense. I only asked for opinions/experiences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bemy)
    It doesn't need sorting, I'm just frustrated at people telling me that 'my' story doesn't make sense. I only asked for opinions/experiences.
    OK, well your Sister's story needs sorting. I would suggest she sorts it before her trial... :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bemy)
    people are just saying the story in general doesn't make sense, and they can't really give advice unless they know the circumstances e.g. why there were 8 policemen looking for this man if he was only told he couldn't be in the house :confused:

the severity of your sisters circumstance depends on what happened, if it was only that he just isn't allowed in the house then she should only get away with a fine

it really depends on what actually happened, and its difficult to make out from what you have said happened to you're sister

ReputationRep:
    OK, well your Sister's story needs sorting. I would suggest she sorts it before her trial... :yes:
    Lol, yes well, she's already given a statement obviously. And her solicitor is fine with it.
    So maybe it's just me telling it wrong and not knowing the details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Anyways, your sister will probably be fine. As already said, it's likely the outcome will just be a fine, if that.
    and unless she is acquitted of course the consequent Criminal record

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bemy)
    Buckinghamshire. They can be efficient for some things, other major things they aren't as great. It varies.
    I see... it seems they're pretty good

(Original post by Clements-)
    While the man was in there giving her presents? :indiff:
    As a thank you? lol. It makes the story plausible.

So you would rather help the criminal?
    Depends which side I am on. Anyway should citizens not be presumed innocent until proven guilty? Even if the guy was breaching an agreement, he was only giving her presents, it didn't seem malicious, unless there are things we're not aware of (e.g. previous sexual harrassment etc.), policing time would be better spent elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bemy)
    Why is it not adding up?

My sister let him in through her bedroom window, the council say he's not allowed in.
    I know it's off topic but why are eight coppers enforcing a matter that is, essentially, an issue with the landlord.

Maybe her solicitor is thinking it's a no win situation and is just carrying out a damage limitation exercise?

ReputationRep:
    But... we don't know what the man/boyfriend had the police after him for. No one's said it was because he was on the property.

I understand if you can't say, Bemy.

As Terryw said, it won't be a serious conviction like 2 years imprisonment. Especially if it is her first offense.

ReputationRep:

Depends which side I am on. Anyway should citizens not be presumed innocent until proven guilty? Even if the guy was breaching an agreement, he was only giving her presents, it didn't seem malicious, unless there are things we're not aware of (e.g. previous sexual harrassment etc.), policing time would be better spent elsewhere.
    The raid on the house means he is wanted by the Police and so has committed an offence. Due to the OPs statement saying something like they come all the time when he has done something says to me he is a well known offender and so helping him would lead you in trouble.

You nor I have no idea what the man had done, hence you cannot say policing time would be better spend elsewhere. He may have mugged an old lady, would that count as time wasting? I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    lock her up and throw away the ************ key.

ReputationRep:
    The raid on the house means he is wanted by the Police and so has committed an offence. Due to the OPs statement saying something like they come all the time when he has done something says to me he is a well known offender and so helping him would lead you in trouble.

You nor I have no idea what the man had done, hence you cannot say policing time would be better spend elsewhere. He may have mugged an old lady, would that count as time wasting? I don't think so.
    But how would you define helping him? Not helping the police is not the same as actively obstructing them. It could be argued that the OP's sister had no idea what the police wanted, so taking the time to answer isn't trying to help an offender.

Sure, I take your point - I can't make a judgement (and perhaps shouldn't). The point is, if this guy was a serious offender, why is it out here in the first place. This points to police incompetence - as suggested by the OP who said the police come and raid everytime...

ReputationRep:

Sure, I take your point - I can't make a judgement (and perhaps shouldn't). The point is, if this guy was a serious offender, why is it out here in the first place. This points to police incompetence - as suggested by the OP who said the police come and raid everytime...
    How is an offender being outside a prison "police incompetence", it is the courts who sentence not the Police. The Police were clearly doing their job and hunting him down. No incompetence on the Police's behalf here.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.