Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What rice do you buy? Does it really make a difference buying the big bags or really cheap stuff compared to uncle bens?

This is me trying to plan ahead for cooking at uni. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    What rice do you buy? Does it really make a difference buying the big bags or really cheap stuff compared to uncle bens?

You should buy the big sacks of them for £25 from asian food shops, :yep: should last you for a year. Or maybe you could become entrepeunerial and sell small amounts at a mark up.

ReputationRep:
    Rice is much cheaper in bulk. Some health food shops do rice and pulses surprisingly cheap if you ask them about it.

Also - it's just rice. All the brands taste the same once you put sauce and stuff on them, so don't waste your money on a name-brand.

ReputationRep:
    It does make a slight difference; if you're going to eat that much rice and have somewhere to store it, getting a sack of the stuff is good value.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

Your signature is so distracting.....

Anyway - Rice! Big bag of easy cook = jobwelldone.

Rinse it, through into boiling water for 15 minutes, drain and serve. Done. Just buy the supermarkets own brand, it makes no difference. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Well that's what I was thinking was to buy a big bag that lasts a long time, but then what happens if I get bored of rice (which is likely!).

Also as mentioned above storage might be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kexy)
    Your signature is so distracting.....

Anyway - Rice! Big bag of easy cook = jobwelldone.

Rinse it, through into boiling water for 15 minutes, drain and serve. Done. Just buy the supermarkets own brand, it makes no difference. :yy:
    I have heard this before, but why do you rinse it first?

ReputationRep:
    http://tinyurl.com/klp8b4 :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Well that's what I was thinking was to buy a big bag that lasts a long time, but then what happens if I get bored of rice (which is likely!).

Also as mentioned above storage might be an issue.
    Then don't get such a large bag.

ReputationRep:
    You wash away some of the starch in it - think it's starch! - and that stops the rice sticking together and being absolutely foul

ReputationRep:
    just the cheap tesco value stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    You wash away some of the starch in it - think it's starch! - and that stops the rice sticking together and being absolutely foul
    Thanks, I've never done that before but I will try next time and see if it makes a difference.

ReputationRep:
    You won't get the time or urge to cook rice and curry at uni, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    I have a big sack of rice 'that fell of the back of a lorry' from my dads work to take with me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    You should buy the big sacks of them for £25 from asian food shops, :yep: should last you for a year. Or maybe you could become entrepeunerial and sell small amounts at a mark up.
    I definitely agree with this. It tastes so much better, too.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, my mate at uni went all out and bought a massive bulk of basmati, only to find someone pinched and ate half of it when she was away during the easter holidays.
    I reckon its probably best to buy a moderately big bag and decide later on when you get to uni as you may realise you don't use that much rice or its pointless getting so much if its going to get nabbed or be hard to store.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by neodymium)
    I do :bhangra: Then again, I have a rice cooker, so it's not too much effort!

OP, I tend to get big bags of basmati (not the huge ones, coz I can't carry them!) from Asian food shops so that I always have plenty in stock :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neodymium)
    You will

I don't like it when people complain about "not having the time to cook". Cooking takes absolutely no time at all, it's just laziness. For example, rice takes about 1 minute to put into a pan, fill the pan with water and turn the hob on. You can go away and leave it then.

OP, don't listen to people who say there isn't time to cook properly. Cooking takes about 20 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    what are good things to eat with the rice?... chicken currys? what else cant think

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.