Turn on thread page Beta

Windows are evil! watch

ReputationRep:
    It is estimated over 10 000 birds die each year from crashing into windows.
    The US government estimates 100 million to 1 billion birds crash into windows every year in USA alone. In fact most of you at some point have heard a random thud caused by something hitting a window in your house (it's the sound of a bird crashing into it).

Birds crashing into windows may not die (though a broken neck for example is likely to lead to death), but also may suffer broken wings, smashed legs, head injuries (and other injuries).

Birds can't see or recognise glass, hence often crash into windows. In fact if there is a reflection in the glass, it might think it is another bird.

But particularly birds often fly in at night as they're attracted by the light. Don't have the lights on at night with the curtains open!

Remember to close the curtains at night, so birds will not be confused and hit the windows!:yes:

You could get stained glass, or stick stickers on your windows if you wanted to prevent them crashing at day, but of course you probably do want to use the windows in the day. But there's no excuse for not closing your curtains at night!

ReputationRep:
    Smoking kills more people.

I do hate leaving the light on and the window open because flies come in :mad2:

ReputationRep:
    You have too much spare time.

ReputationRep:
    You would rather have the idiot birds flying around causing other accidents?

ReputationRep:
    I agree, far too much spare time! As far as I know no birds have crashed into my windows so I don't have much to feel guilty about!

ReputationRep:
    I Love Tits!

ReputationRep:
    A bird flew into my living room window once when I was watching tv, scared the friggin life out of me too. Even after it flew off you could still see the outline on the window. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Somebody needs to go out more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    It is estimated over 10 000 birds die each year from crashing into windows.
    The US government estimates 100 million to 1 billion birds crash into windows every year in USA alone. In fact most of you at some point have heard a random thud caused by something hitting a window in your house (it's the sound of a bird crashing into it).

Birds crashing into windows may not die (though a broken neck for example is likely to lead to death), but also may suffer broken wings, smashed legs, head injuries (and other injuries).

Birds can't see or recognise glass, hence often crash into windows. In fact if there is a reflection in the glass, it might think it is another bird.

But particularly birds often fly in at night as they're attracted by the light. Don't have the lights on at night with the curtains open!

Remember to close the curtains at night, so birds will not be confused and hit the windows!:yes:

You could get stained glass, or stick stickers on your windows if you wanted to prevent them crashing at day, but of course you probably do want to use the windows in the day. But there's no excuse for not closing your curtains at night!

POOR BIRDS!!

ReputationRep:
    At night, my curtains are always open - and a bird has never flew into my window. I'm missing out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    I think you're getting confused with moths :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    I agree, far too much spare time! As far as I know no birds have crashed into my windows so I don't have much to feel guilty about!
    They probably have, you just might have been asleep (small birds crashing into your windows aren't going to make that much of a noise. Or perhaps you are just a heavy sleeper )

People don't really care about it, as humans care more about their own species (naturally). Of course we can't just take out every window as a result of this happening (though I suspect some eco activists might). But it's really no excuse that you don't bother to close the curtains at night.

I'm just making people aware of it that's all. It doesn't take any extra effort to just close the curtains at night does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    POOR BIRDS!!

Exactly!
    I'm glad someone cares

ReputationRep:
    It's survival of the fittest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    I think you're getting confused with moths :yes:
    Nope birds are the same. They're not as bad as moths but they do like light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonny23563)
    It's survival of the fittest
    No bird can see glass. So it's not really. It's the unlucky ones who die, their intelligence has nothing to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    They probably have, you just might have been asleep (small birds crashing into your windows aren't going to make that much of a noise. Or perhaps you are just a heavy sleeper )

People don't really care about it, as humans care more about their own species (naturally). Of course we can't just take out every window as a result of this happening (though I suspect some eco activists might). But it's really no excuse that you don't bother to close the curtains at night.

I'm just making people aware of it that's all. It doesn't take any extra effort to just close the curtains at night does it?
    But birds tend to sleep the majority of the night and only wake up later - surely most of these incidents happen during the daytime?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    Nope birds are the same. They're not as bad as moths but they do like light.
    but dont birds sleep!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    but dont birds sleep!?
    There are nocturnal birds. Often a lot of the crashes may happen when there is fading light (i.e. at sunset or just after sunset) or at dawn when the light is just coming out. When the light is strong (in the day) they are more likely not to crash into windows.

The estimate of 10000 isn't actually very likely. Those deaths are birds who die instantly from hitting the windows, many are injured and will eventually/slowly die from injuries. Hence the actual death figure is more likely to be in the millions (as many sources on the internet say).

Oh and mods why did you move this to chat? It's not really chat, it is general discussion. Could you move it back please?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree. One flew into the conservatory glass the other day. I was horrified. Yeah, I'll close my curtains.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.