Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the first few driving lessons like? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you do in say the first 5 lessons do you learn the basics of a car and get to drive in the road (after how many lessons)?

Also do you gradually improve on your clutch control because I suck at clutching because I always stall the car ? Or does the instructor teach a proper way to do it?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I've had five hours across three lessons. In my first two lessons (three hours), I spent my time on quiet roads just getting a feel for the car and for steering and clutch control etc. The third lesson, I was put straight onto busy roads and country roads etc.

My clutch control was quite good in the first two lessons, but was AWFUL in my third when I was on the proper roads. I think this is because I started to panic because of all the other cars though. I don't know about gradually improving or being taught how to do it properly since I knew nothing before my first lesson xD You'll probably be taught the proper way of doing it though.

If you have some experience, you may be put onto roads faster than I was, since I had absolutely no experience whatsoever.

Good luck (:

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to learn the basics in about 3 lessons, as it was like that for me- you don't learn everything, but yo just pick it up as you go along really.

Nope. At least mine didn't- he was constantly doing it for me, so I never really mastered it alone. You d improve over time though- you start realising how the car responds in sync to how you control the clutch.

ReputationRep:
    Er... my Dad took me out driving first, so he taught me the idea of a clutch, gears etc... yeah I'm a girl, I didn't even realise there was a third peddle. This meant by my second lesson with an instructor I was already learning how to parallel park as I'd got the gist of the gear sequence.

However, I would say that generally your instructor will tell you what gear to be in for certain corners etc... and he'll go through the sequence with you.

I also always stalled though cos me dad told me if you took your clutch up too quickly, you'd go racing away! You'll soon get used to the right amount of gas and clutch though.

So get in the car, gears in neutral, ignition on, clutch down, first gear (or reverse depending), gas, hand on handbrake, lift clutch, biting point, release handbrake, go...!

Good luck

oh, and by the way, it sounds really complicated but it soon becomes second nature, and you'll be driving on the road in no time, prob first lesson. the hardest bit is the road structure, not the driving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19becky91)
    Er... my Dad took me out driving first, so he taught me the idea of a clutch, gears etc... yeah I'm a girl, I didn't even realise there was a third peddle. This meant by my second lesson with an instructor I was already learning how to parallel park as I'd got the gist of the gear sequence.

However, I would say that generally your instructor will tell you what gear to be in for certain corners etc... and he'll go through the sequence with you.

I also always stalled though cos me dad told me if you took your clutch up too quickly, you'd go racing away! You'll soon get used to the right amount of gas and clutch though.

So get in the car, gears in neutral, ignition on, clutch down, first gear (or reverse depending), gas, hand on handbrake, lift clutch, biting point, release handbrake, go...!

Good luck

oh, and by the way, it sounds really complicated but it soon becomes second nature, and you'll be driving on the road in no time, prob first lesson. the hardest bit is the road structure, not the driving
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:

So get in the car, gears i n neutral, ignition on, clutch down, first gear (or reverse depending), gas, hand on handbrake, lift clutch, biting point, release handbrake, go...!

Good luck

, when you explained how to start off driving, when you put it in first can't you put handbrake down and put your foot on the brake pedal and then lift clutch while moving foot off brake onto gas, biting point point and so on.. ?

ReputationRep:
    I learned all the basics from my dad, so I was actually hurtling around the country roads on my birthday, 50mph, in the snow (I remember it well - it was a snow day which got better). Actually, I remember where I went, and I must have gone through a ***** of a hill-start to get there...

I only ever really used an instructor to polish little bits up, not for big blocks of teaching. My instructor knew what the examiners wanted to see, so I took that away and learned the test techniques. The whole process took about 3 and a half months, and that was at a comfortable pace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieArun)
    , when you explained how to start off driving, when you put it in first can't you put handbrake down and put your foot on the brake pedal and then lift clutch while moving foot off brake onto gas, biting point point and so on.. ?
    Yeah, but you won't pass your test that way.

ReputationRep:
    I had my first driving lesson when we had all that snow in February! I thought he'd cancel but he didn't... It was fun to say the least. The first thing your instructor will teach you is the "cockpit" drills and clutch control. I was perfect with my clutch when I was just going around the small streets and stuff... but when I moved onto "proper" roads I was awful. I've been doing extra practise with my Dad recently and I've found the key is to get into a comfortable driving position. Before I was sat really close to the wheel, basically standing on top of the clutch! I've pushed the seat back and I haven't stalled since.

It might seem all complication and gobbledy goop when you first start but it soon becomes natural. I'm off to do my test in 2 weeks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    :rofl:
    Well I bet I'm not the only one! Sorry for not wanting to dismantle a car in my youth!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieArun)
    er... I wouldn't recommend it. Examiners don't like that, and you can't do that on hills. Leave that until you're fully confident.

ReputationRep:
    Well I bet I'm not the only one! Sorry for not wanting to dismantle a car in my youth!
    lol dismantle a car? but you must have been in a manual car before

ReputationRep:
    If you were a girl, I'd say it gets better once the instructors finished staring at your t*ts :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    lol dismantle a car? but you must have been in a manual car before
    Yeah, but I don't take habit at looking at the footwell on the drivers side!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but I don't take habit at looking at the footwell on the drivers side!
    assuming your straight, you wouldnt be looking at the footwell would you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_KaKa)
    If you were a girl, I'd say it gets better once the instructors finished staring at your t*ts :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_KaKa)
    There are female instructors lol or for the male ones you should said give free lessons if you wanna feel them.

ReputationRep:
    My first lesson consisted of driving around town for 45 mins doing manoeuvres and suchlike, and then 15 mins-ish on a 60 limit road. All 6 were pretty similar, however I could already drive and was just having lessons in order to make sure I hadn't picked up bad habits and that I knew how to do the manoeuvres etc in the way the test demands.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.