Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teddy bears & real bears. They look completely different! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I had a dream last night that I was being chased around a forrest by a bunch of bears.

Anyway, when I woke up I got to thinking. Why are bears the only animals that look completely different in toy form? I mean... you can find all sort of mutant-looking toys today, but I'm talking about the classic stuffed animal toys. Teddy bears sit like a human and lack the long, pointy snout.

At first I thought maybe they did it to humanise the toy so it would look less scary to kids, since bears are generally seen as dangerous animals. But then what about lions, tigers, alligators and so on? They're dangerous but the toys designed after them look like the real thing.

Turns out, teddy bears were basically designed the way they are because of Theodore Roosevelt, which I actually find rather amusing. Did anyone know about this?

However, it's still odd and unfair to real bears that they don't get little toys made to look like them. Has anyone every seen a stuffed bear toy that actually looks like a real bear?

ReputationRep:
    I thought everyone knew about that

ReputationRep:
    You can still buy a teddy bear that looks like a real bear if you want :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I had a bunch of cuddly rabbits as a kid, which used to stand up on two legs and wear clothes! Bears aren't the only thing that they make more doll-like so that kids like them.

Anyway - I have seen a stuffed toy that looked like a real bear. I used to have a polar bear with realistic proportions.

ReputationRep:

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Go to a taxidermist if it bothers you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)

Huh. I stand corrected. Guess I have seen one now, lol. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I had a brown bear who looked very much like a bear. In fact, a lot of teddy bears look quite a lot like bears.

I love teddy bears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)

I want that teddy :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    I clicked on this thread thinking "Oooh, whats a real bear?"

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myheadsbeenspinning)
    I had a dream last night that I was being chased around a forrest by a bunch of bears.

Anyway, when I woke up I got to thinking. Why are bears the only animals that look completely different in toy form? I mean... you can find all sort of mutant-looking toys today, but I'm talking about the classic stuffed animal toys. Teddy bears sit like a human and lack the long, pointy snout.

However, it's still odd and unfair to real bears that they don't get little toys made to look like them. Has anyone every seen a stuffed bear toy that actually looks like a real bear?
    Because bears are the most close relatives and friends of humankind.Some people hold them like pets.
    As for the toy - near my town there is small village,they produce famous bear-toy already for several centures and sell it to tourists all around the world.So the toy is rather famous,so your question surprised me.
    At my town we have even The Toy museum and special Toy Institute.

ReputationRep:
    Valentine's Day teddy bears are the most ****** up.

Think about what you're seeing. An effigy of a huge carniverous beast known to kill and eat people, holding a desembodied human heart.

That's just plain scary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Cat)
    I want that teddy :puppyeyes:
    Ты сама как медвежонка.
    Класный аватар,серьёзно.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul PTS)
    Ты сама как медвежонка.
    Класный аватар,серьёзно.
    sorry? :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A is for Awesome)
    Valentine's Day teddy bears are the most ****** up.

Think about what you're seeing. An effigy of a huge carniverous beast known to kill and eat people, holding a desembodied human heart.

That's just plain scary.
    An excellent point.

ReputationRep:
    sorry? :o:
    So and you like the Ucraineans try to invent your own language?
    So you really don't understand your native language?
    But that's awful...

ReputationRep:
    So and you like the Ucraineans try to invent your own language?
    So you really don't understand your native language?
    But that's awful...
    ohhh you think I'm Belarussian?

I'm British, I just fancied a different flag for a change :o:

ReputationRep:
    ohhh you think I'm Belarussian?

I'm British, I just fancied a different flag for a change :o:
    :eek:
    Don't visit Belorussia.
    You violated their law.
    Their flag is their national tresure like their girls-models.Their president as I heard forbid the pretty girls to leave country.
    Not long ago we had international scandal with Belorussia.They refused to sell us milk because they felt themselve offended for the reason which we didn't understand even now.

ReputationRep:
    Because bears are the most close relatives and friends of humankind.Some people hold them like pets.
    I think you're confusing ferocious bears with cuddly kittens and puppies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A is for Awesome)
    I think you're confusing ferocious bears with cuddly kittens and puppies.
    As I heard the main deal not to stay on their road when they awake in spring and run to nearby bush to make toilet.Unfortunately I never met wild bear when I walked in the woods.But I met elks in several miles from my town,so and the bears must be somewhere there.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.