Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Obtained a 2:2 in Economics and Management Sciences from a top 15 uni. Doing masters in Economics and Development Economics from Nottingham University. Have a few internships under my belt. What are my chances of joining an IB? Will the masters be looked upon favourably?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ammarb87)
    Obtained a 2:2 in Economics and Management Sciences from a top 15 uni. Doing masters in Economics and Development Economics from Nottingham University. Have a few internships under my belt. What are my chances of joining an IB? Will the masters be looked upon favourably?
    Did you do the UBS Spring program in 2007 by any chance?

2.2 will hold you back I'd say, not sure if the banks would overlook it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Did you do the UBS Spring program in 2007 by any chance?

2.2 will hold you back I'd say, not sure if the banks would overlook it...
    na i didnt do the UBS spring program. why?

is the masters i m doing in a good degree?

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    Can you blag some circumstances into why you got a 2.2? Thats what most people do and it works sometimes. Sounds crude but needs must I guess.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegallyBlonde2.0)
    Never give up on anything you want in life. You get what you take.
    ^^ Indeed. If you give up then you were never cut out for IB in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    If you blag circumstances for getting a 2.2 will the banks contact your uni or require any medical certificates etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gigaking)
    If you blag circumstances for getting a 2.2 will the banks contact your uni or require any medical certificates etc?
    Potentially, though I'd guess it depends on what you're trying to blag.

The way I see it, if I were a bank and a candidate was telling me about some serious mitigating circumstances, I'd be wondering why the hell their university didn't alter their degree class accordingly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElemenT')
    Can you blag some circumstances into why you got a 2.2? Thats what most people do and it works sometimes. Sounds crude but needs must I guess.
    well my grandmother died just before my semester 1 year 2 exams and that brought my average down. i appealed for my degree classification on the basis of these circumstances but they said i should have disclosed the death in year 2 so the reason i provided them with was not exceptional. i was just 1.5 marks away from a 2:1 which stressed me out even more. however im happy i got into notts uni as it is an excellent institution.

ReputationRep:
    however im happy i got into notts uni as it is an excellent institution.
    Is it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    well that what i was told. in the top 10 surely?

ReputationRep:
    in current conditions, you will be competing against people with masters and a lot of experience. the only thing that can make you stand out is ur uni, grades, extra cirriculars. your uni isnt in the top 5, nor your grades are. concentrate on getting more work experience. also i dont think they ask for your uni grades on the application. well at least some don't.

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean the applications do not ask for the grades? ill still have to put 2:2 .. however, im planning to get work experience this summer, christmas and easter 2010. so yeh im quite a well-rounded individual i guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegallyBlonde2.0)
    Never give up on anything you want in life. You get what you take.
    You get what you are given, Buzz Lightyear.

ReputationRep:
    well that what i was told. in the top 10 surely?
    More like top 20 to be honest. If they accept people with 2.2's it obviously isn't very hard to get an offer there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElemenT')
    More like top 20 to be honest. If they accept people with 2.2's it obviously isn't very hard to get an offer there.
    well they dont. they took me cus of my circumstances and how close i was to a 2:1

ReputationRep:
    top 10 in what? likelihood of getting shot?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.