Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So, insurance companies can charge males and young drivers more... Watch

ReputationRep:
    ...because they are statistically shown to be more likely to have an accident. If it were shown that black/white/asian people were more likely to be involved in an accident, would those companies be allowed to openly charge that ethnic group more? I doubt there is such a correlation, but I just find it hard to believe that they would do such a thing if there were.

ReputationRep:
    The wouldn't as I'm pretty sure it would be 'unfair trading' which seems unfair for young male drivers; however although it pains me to say there are plenty of statistics that back up them charging us more as we are far more likely to crash. Although I never crashed in my first year and cost me £2000 for the privelege :grumble:

However I dont think race is even recorded as a statistic :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    It's such a blatant fact that any whining that it's not fair is simply stupidity. Congratulations, you're part of a testosterone filled gender, prone to crashing but favoured else where.

ReputationRep:
    can anyone beat my quote of a 1998 Corsa
    £20,000
    im not lying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    can anyone beat my quote of a 1998 Corsa
    £20,000
    im not lying
    I had one for a million once when I put in a large BMW for a joke :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    It's such a blatant fact that any whining that it's not fair is simply stupidity. Congratulations, you're part of a testosterone filled gender, prone to crashing but favoured else where.
    I'm actually not complaining at all. I'm just wondering if they would be allowed to charge more based on other factors.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/ja...ransport.money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    I had one for a million once when I put in a large BMW for a joke :rofl:
    :rofl:
    but the thing is I was actually trying to find insurance for a decent car, it wasnt even fully comp!, I think I did third party only

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sh4w)
    I'm actually not complaining at all. I'm just wondering if they would be allowed to charge more based on other factors.
    Perhaps the difference isn't remarkable enough to warrant a higher/lower price.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Fawn)
    So its ok to charge all men more for driving just because we are favoured elsewhere? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Discrimination pricing. Perfectly legal. Technically no reason why not, but I doubt its done.

ReputationRep:
    That's what you get for having a Y chromosome.

Yeah, I know it's not your fault. It is ridiculously stupid though. I'm on my Dad's insurance and it's tripled to about £600

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    :rofl:
    but the thing is I was actually trying to find insurance for a decent car, it wasnt even fully comp!, I think I did third party only
    Oh fully comp for a 07 corsa I had 1K-4K offers

Not fun :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sh4w)
    ...because they are statistically shown to be more likely to have an accident. If it were shown that black/white/asian people were more likely to be involved in an accident, would those companies be allowed to openly charge that ethnic group more? I doubt there is such a correlation, but I just find it hard to believe that they would do such a thing if there were.
    interesting idea, it might be worth to inquire insurance companies to see if they take race into account when forming quotes.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't QI say chinese people were statistically the most dangerous drivers? I think they said Chinese people in green cars are the world's worst drivers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    So its ok to charge all men more for driving just because we are favoured elsewhere? :lolwut:
    I did not say that. It's statistically high enough to warrant a different price. Please do not make up rubbish from my sentences, it's highly irritating. If I wanted to insult your gender I wouldn't be so subtle about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Didn't QI say chinese people were statistically the most dangerous drivers? I think they said Chinese people in green cars are the world's worst drivers.
    I have to say, the Chinese drivers in my area really don't seem too safe..

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it most of them are fairly young males...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Indeed. What I hate is, the fact that a few of my fellow males have spoilt it for the rest of us, along with the fact that a few of our fellow young people (males and females) have done the same.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why it's acceptable to generalise like this when you would get in trouble for saying:

'I'm not employing you because as a woman you are statistically more likely to get pregnant and that causes all kinds of problems for me and my business'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JumpingJonny)
    The wouldn't as I'm pretty sure it would be 'unfair trading' which seems unfair for young male drivers; however although it pains me to say there are plenty of statistics that back up them charging us more as we are far more likely to crash. Although I never crashed in my first year and cost me £2000 for the privelege :grumble:

However I dont think race is even recorded as a statistic :dontknow:
    I may have made this up, but isn't it also that men (in general, not just young ones) are more likely to have a major crash whereas women tend to do little stupid ones?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.