Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So, insurance companies can charge males and young drivers more... Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Fawn)
    I did not say that. It's statistically high enough to warrant a different price. Please do not make up rubbish from my sentences, it's highly irritating. If I wanted to insult your gender I wouldn't be so subtle about it.
    Well firstly you weren't subtle you blatantly said it.

Secondly I don't bloody care how 'statistically high' it is, insurance companies shouldn't be allowed to grossly generalise based on gender if doing so for other people is illegal. Why can companies not choose not to hire women because they are more statistically likely to have a baby and so leave for ages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loz_fairy)
    I may have made this up, but isn't it also that men (in general, not just young ones) are more likely to have a major crash whereas women tend to do little stupid ones?
    I wouldn't be suprised most men drive faster (in my opinion) so they are more likely to have a fatal collision; obviously there are reverse cases but I think on the whole this is how road traffic collisions stack up. Also I believe alot of female driver have small crashes into a post etc rather than a high speed crash; again there are reverse cases and this isn't intended as a sexist post, I believe that is just what statistics show :dontknow:

I could well be wrong and feel free to correct me :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Discrimination is a fundamental part of insurance. It's all about making assumptions about you based on things out of your control. It's totally unfair, but could it work any other way? I mean, just because you're a young male with rim lighting on his car it doesn't necessarily mean you will be an unsafe driver in any way. But because of all the other people similar to you, you have to pay more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    I don't see why it's acceptable to generalise like this when you would get in trouble for saying:

'I'm not employing you because as a woman you are statistically more likely to get pregnant and that causes all kinds of problems for me and my business'.
    This.

So true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    I did not say that. It's statistically high enough to warrant a different price. Please do not make up rubbish from my sentences, it's highly irritating. If I wanted to insult your gender I wouldn't be so subtle about it.
    yes you did im afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    yes you did im afraid.
    You severely underestimate my abilities of offending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    It's such a blatant fact that any whining that it's not fair is simply stupidity. Congratulations, you're part of a testosterone filled gender, prone to crashing but favoured else where.
    Get a life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    Get a life.
    I have one thanks. It appears to be pretty popular, must be the attraction of wanting to post inane responses to threads.

To those of you who would brush down feminists yet raise your shackles to the mere mention of something entirely anti-male, I would like to point out that I was referring to the statistical evidence of male/female crashes. If the chances of a male crashing are significantly higher and is going to cost the insurance company more then naturally they will raise their prices.

Please, go back and get the cotton wool that your parents removed prematurely from you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Oh fully comp for a 07 corsa I had 1K-4K offers

Not fun :sad:
    :shock:
    07! for 1k, is that a typo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    You severely underestimate my abilities of offending.
    Having great abilities to offend is something to be proud of?
    Does your ability to offend without trying also apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    Having great abilities to offend is something to be proud of?
    Does your ability to offend without trying also apply?
    Merely adds to my artistic approach You choose to be offended to what I'm saying, to be manipulated and have your feelings hurt. What am I? You're saviour? Your prophet? Your mother? Why do my opinions matter to your small sense of self? It's as if you have some form of sadistic desire to be hurt and then have your wounds kissed by a maternal figure that you so desperately seek in your lonely life.

ReputationRep:
    Wow this has gone off-topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    I have one thanks. It appears to be pretty popular, must be the attraction of wanting to post inane responses to threads.

To those of you who would brush down feminists yet raise your shackles to the mere mention of something entirely anti-male, I would like to point out that I was referring to the statistical evidence of male/female crashes. If the chances of a male crashing are significantly higher and is going to cost the insurance company more then naturally they will raise their prices.

Please, go back and get the cotton wool that your parents removed prematurely from you
    Sat here laughing :p: Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Sat here laughing :p: Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? :rolleyes:
    I'm actually in a good mood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    I'm actually in a good mood.
    And so you know both my parents were killed in a car crash 5 years ago, don't you dare speak ill of them to fuel your ego.

ReputationRep:
    And so you know both my parents were killed in a car crash 5 years ago, don't you dare speak ill of them to fuel your ego.
    See? You take notice of words written on a forum and apply them to your life seeking some form of miserable satisfaction from knowing you have poorer circumstances.

Congratulations, I feel for you. (Just slightly)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JumpingJonny)
    I wouldn't be suprised most men drive faster (in my opinion) so they are more likely to have a fatal collision; obviously there are reverse cases but I think on the whole this is how road traffic collisions stack up. Also I believe alot of female driver have small crashes into a post etc rather than a high speed crash; again there are reverse cases and this isn't intended as a sexist post, I believe that is just what statistics show :dontknow:

I could well be wrong and feel free to correct me :yep:
    Another interesting factor is that men travel 10.5 miles to work on average, 67% further than women (6.3 miles).

Lots of interesting statistics here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    See? You take notice of words written on a forum and apply them to your life seeking some form of miserable satisfaction from knowing you have poorer circumstances.

I was lying, they're not dead, but I've just succeeded in exposing your attitude to life to the world Good luck getting positive rep in the future.

ReputationRep:
    something that people seem to forget is that some underwritiers don't want certain groups of people whether it;s age/ gender/ occupation / driving history/ type of vehicle ...

another factor with motor insurance is storage and location , a car that is parked on the road all the time is far more likely to be hit by someone or something than one that lives on a drive or in garage ...

ambulance chasers and 'claims management companies' have had their part to play in this all by bumping third party claim values ever higher ... ( hate to break it to you, if you have a company sick pay scheme they will claw back your sick pay from any compo you recieve)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Fawn)

You really do need to get a life if you think anyone takes to heart or even cares about what you say or think on an internet forum. From your posts I have ascertained that you are probably a feminist and definitely a rude arrogant idiot, but this doesn't offend me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.