Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

So, insurance companies can charge males and young drivers more... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    I'm actually in a good mood.
    I'm interested to know your view on the females are more likely to be pregnant matter.

ReputationRep:
    I was playing around with a price comparison website. I put in my details accurately and got a quote. I then put in one for me, but as a woman. It came to (with exactly the same car, using the same registration plate) 200 pounds less. Despite putting in (accurately) that I hold an IAM certificate and the imaginary woman didn't. How can someone who completes an advanced driving course be charged more? Holders of an IAM certificate are around 70% less likely to be involved in a crash, and even less likely to be the cause of it. Bah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    I was lying, they're not dead, but I've just succeeded in exposing your attitude to life to the world Good luck getting positive rep in the future.
    I'll positive rep her...just for pissing you off...stuck up, sexist, assuming, sad....boy!

oh and yeah, women are statistically more likely to have smaller, lower speed shunts at junctions and so forth, that barely ever actually involve the insurance company unless the repairs cos more than 200 pounds. men tend to crash at high speed, with passengers on board and take out a car or 2 with them...

this is from experience and statistics...

if you wish to know what i think about 18 yr old drivers in clios who decide it'd be fun to try and kill 4 of his college mates...PM me! lol

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booger)
    I was playing around with a price comparison website. I put in my details accurately and got a quote. I then put in one for me, but as a woman. It came to (with exactly the same car, using the same registration plate) 200 pounds less. Despite putting in (accurately) that I hold an IAM certificate and the imaginary woman didn't. How can someone who completes an advanced driving course be charged more? Holders of an IAM certificate are around 70% less likely to be involved in a crash, and even less likely to be the cause of it. Bah.
    Out of interest, how much did the IAM certificate take off your insurance? It seems to me that in an ideal world it would take rather a lot off, since it clearly makes quite a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Merely adds to my artistic approach You choose to be offended to what I'm saying, to be manipulated and have your feelings hurt. What am I? You're saviour? Your prophet? Your mother? Why do my opinions matter to your small sense of self? It's as if you have some form of sadistic desire to be hurt and then have your wounds kissed by a maternal figure that you so desperately seek in your lonely life.
    Fair enough. You do have an interesting outlook on life, fascinating. I wasn't offended btw :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlmechanik)
    I'll positive rep her...just for pissing you off...stuck up, sexist, assuming, sad....boy!

oh and yeah, women are statistically more likely to have smaller, lower speed shunts at junctions and so forth, that barely ever actually involve the insurance company unless the repairs cos more than 200 pounds. men tend to crash at high speed, with passengers on board and take out a car or 2 with them...

if you wish to know what i think about 18 yr old drivers in clios who decide it'd be fun to try and kill 4 of his college mates...PM me! lol

x
    Really not going to get you anywhere either.

BTW my insurance comes down from roughly £2200 in my first year to roughly £900 if I get my pass plus done and my no claims bonus. Suck it up lads, it's only a year. Anyway statistically men make more money don't they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    It's such a blatant fact that any whining that it's not fair is simply stupidity. Congratulations, you're part of a testosterone filled gender, prone to crashing but favoured else where.
    Why are you out of the kitchen?

ReputationRep:
    I was lying, they're not dead, but I've just succeeded in exposing your attitude to life to the world Good luck getting positive rep in the future.
    Oh I love the irony of the man who has "revealed" the "evil feminist" to the world by pretended his most dear and precious things in the world are dead. It really takes a great man to do that :rolleyes:

I state facts and I'm apparently a feminist, then so be it. I largely don't care about women cooking or any of the stereotypical roles, but I'm still a feminist in your eyes. What matters more? I must now obey your views on me and live to continue to prove your strange theories

(Original post by Mithra)
    You really do need to get a life if you think anyone takes to heart or even cares about what you say or think on an internet forum. From your posts I have ascertained that you are probably a feminist and definitely a rude arrogant idiot, but this doesn't offend me.
    If you really don't care why would you respond? It doesn't matter to me, I'm just using up time while I have nothing to do at the moment. I choose my stance, you choose yours. I don't force you to interact, but you still feel compelled to out the witch and somehow feel like the paladin of forum, spreading light and happiness to all. I congratulate you on that and hope your ego continues to grow

From my posts you may have also ascertained that I have an equal stance on everyone's views and as such, giving me a title of a particular group is pretty futile as I feel no binds to any "grouping".

I'm glad it doesn't offend you, perhaps you've learnt something?

ReputationRep:
    i think it is fine that they do this - males statistically crash more so therefore it seems to make sense that on average they charge males more.

But also it is statistically shown that men are more productive than females, take less days off sick, and are less likely to get pregnant so therefore it seems to make sense that on average that employers pay men more.

You cant have it both ways

ReputationRep:

x
    Sorry to disappoint you love, but I couldn't care less what she says - this is an internet forum I go on once a week? Clearly you both have a warped view of the world.

Weren't we all meant to be talking about racial minorities having different insurance quotes? It'd be a difficult system if there are half-cast people between different races.

ReputationRep:
    That's because women are known to be notoriously slow, and thus, more careful drivers. In general, men, after they pass their test, think that now they can get insured on their car, they can go crazy and be protected by insurance.

ReputationRep:

x
    What you said has been said before and isn't being disputed, the other side states that despite the statistics, it is unjust to generalise. There are stats for everything, and in nearly every case it is deemed wrong/sexist/racist/homophobic to generalise based on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    What you said has been said before and isn't being disputed, the other side states that despite the statistics, it is unjust to generalise. There are stats for everything, and in nearly every case it is deemed wrong/sexist/racist/homophobic to generalise based on them.
    Yeah exactly, correlation does not imply causation - statistics 101

ReputationRep:
    Weren't we all meant to be talking about racial minorities having different insurance quotes? It'd be a difficult system if there are half-cast people between different races.
    Well, they'd get in-between quotes
    That was just an example I thought of, better ideas for discussion have already been come up with in this thread like women in the workplace and pregnancy. The point was just that ageist and sexist discrimination from insurances companies seems to be an isolated form that is acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loz_fairy)
    I may have made this up, but isn't it also that men (in general, not just young ones) are more likely to have a major crash whereas women tend to do little stupid ones?
    Out of my personal experience, four of my female friends have had crashes, two of them car park shunts, one went straight through a T-junction she said she forgot about and went through some signs at speed, and the fourth rear-ended someone... all of them had crashes at say 40mph or less...

Out of my guy friends, one of them went into a ditch at 65 and wrote off his car, and another lost control of his parents car on black ice and wrote it off sideways into a lamp-post.

The girls tend to have crashes due to not paying attention, the guys tend to have crashes from going too fast or being too aggressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    :shock:
    07! for 1k, is that a typo
    No it isn't, but that's because I am only a named driver (family car which everyone uses and I wont be able to drive while at uni)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    The girls tend to have crashes due to not paying attention, the guys tend to have crashes from going too fast or being too aggressive.
    I'd agree with this. I'd even go so far as to say, I reckon women DO have more accidents than men - it's that when men do something, we do something PROPERLY!

SMASH! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah exactly, correlation does not imply causation - statistics 101
    That is sort of irrelevant wrt insurance.

If people of a certain: gender/race/religion/whatever are more likely to be involved in crashes regardless of whether gender/race/religion/whatever is causing the increase in crashes it makes sense for the insurer to charge them more, as they are more likely to have to pay up for them

ReputationRep:
    Blame all chavvy gits for this. Theses **** heads raced around the streets and crashed their cars so we suffer the consequence of higher premiums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xinjaing)
    Blame all chavvy gits for this. Theses **** heads raced around the streets and crashed their cars so we suffer the consequence of higher premiums.
    All boy racers deserve to die.

Saw a teenager and his 3 other friends going 60~70 in a 40 zone the other day.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 23, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.