Turn on thread page Beta

So, insurance companies can charge males and young drivers more... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Snips)
    Another interesting factor is that men travel 10.5 miles to work on average, 67% further than women (6.3 miles).

Lots of interesting statistics here
    Oooh, looks through all the statistics :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    I just got a £5000 quote for a bentley continental

very cheap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    It's such a blatant fact that any whining that it's not fair is simply stupidity. Congratulations, you're part of a testosterone filled gender, prone to crashing but favoured else where.
    Not always though.
    Personally, I've seen (and been in the car with) more dangerous female drivers than I have dangerous male drivers. I'm not arguing with the statistics (which can be biased), just saying my observations.

ReputationRep:
    To draw a comparison, a black person is statistically more likely to commit a crime than a white person.

A US Supreme Court case in 1995/1996 demonstrated this in a way.

Victor Saldaño, an Argentine national, was convicted in 1996 in Collin County of the murder in November 1995 of Paul Ray King, white. A death sentence can only be passed in Texas if the jury unanimously agrees that ''there is a probability that the defendant would commit criminal acts of violence that would constitute a continuing threat to society'' - so-called ''future dangerousness''. At Victor Saldaño's sentencing, the prosecution presented a psychologist as an expert witness who testified that ''because [Saldaño] is Hispanic, this is a factor weighing in favour of future dangerousness''
    However this decision was later ruled unfair and the case was sent back (although upheld anyway):

the Texas Attorney General -- representing the state in the federal court system -- ''confessed error'' in the US Supreme Court; that is, he admitted that the introduction of race as a factor for determining future dangerousness violated Victor Saldaño's right to equal treatment before the law.
    To relate this to car insurance, yes I imagine the companies could do something like this provided it was based on some kind of evidence such as statistics, however I imagine it would create hugely negative public image.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JumpingJonny)
    I wouldn't be suprised most men drive faster (in my opinion) so they are more likely to have a fatal collision; obviously there are reverse cases but I think on the whole this is how road traffic collisions stack up. Also I believe alot of female driver have small crashes into a post etc rather than a high speed crash; again there are reverse cases and this isn't intended as a sexist post, I believe that is just what statistics show :dontknow:

I could well be wrong and feel free to correct me :yep:
    that's pretty much exactly what I meant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    No it isn't, but that's because I am only a named driver (family car which everyone uses and I wont be able to drive while at uni)
    lol there would have to be 4 at least named drivers all over 65 with a 100 years no claims EACH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    Out of my personal experience, four of my female friends have had crashes, two of them car park shunts, one went straight through a T-junction she said she forgot about and went through some signs at speed, and the fourth rear-ended someone... all of them had crashes at say 40mph or less...

Out of my guy friends, one of them went into a ditch at 65 and wrote off his car, and another lost control of his parents car on black ice and wrote it off sideways into a lamp-post.

The girls tend to have crashes due to not paying attention, the guys tend to have crashes from going too fast or being too aggressive.
    Oh I agree.
    I crashed my car within like 6 months of passing my test, crashed into a parked 4x4 on a hill. and my insurance is still cheaper than my (twin) brothers

On the other, one of my male friends wrote his car off crashing it into a tree overtaking. Also, I can think of numerous spots around my town where there are flowers for guys who've died driving but I can't think of any where a girl was behind the wheel.

(Original post by Fawn)
    It's such a blatant fact that any whining that it's not fair is simply stupidity. Congratulations, you're part of a testosterone filled gender, prone to crashing but favoured else where.
    It's not fair. Call me stupid if you want, but if you do then you're just as unfair. Blanket rate increases motivated by statistics may be practical, but they're anything but just.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loz_fairy)
    that's pretty much exactly what I meant
    I think thats just how it is :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    It's not fair. Call me stupid if you want, but if you do then you're just as unfair. Blanket rate increases motivated by statistics may be practical, but they're anything but just.
    Of course, insurance companies have always been at the height of moral standards.

(Original post by Fawn)
    Of course, insurance companies have always been at the height of moral standards.
    Hardly means they shouldn't be, though. While I oppose anti-discrimination legislation on principle, I've never understood how one could justify their not being applied here if one did agree with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    Hardly means they shouldn't be, though. While I oppose anti-discrimination legislation on principle, I've never understood how one could justify their not being applied here if one did agree with them.
    I suppose they would argue that the assessment is made on a personal basis and overall figures are a fluke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    can anyone beat my quote of a 1998 Corsa
    £20,000
    im not lying
    £18347.63 for a 1999 Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel Saloon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeonecalledJohnny)
    £18347.63 for a 1999 Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel Saloon
    I just spent ages getting a quote for a 17 year-old guy on Rollys Royce with 2 previous driving convictions as the main driver. I put loads of annual miles, and had him as having passed 2 months ago. You know what the premium came up as (the only one out of the many possible companies that would insure this imaginary guy)?

£5000. That's it . I'm determined to find a higher one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sh4w)
    I just spent ages getting a quote for a 17 year-old guy on Rollys Royce with 2 previous driving convictions as the main driver. I put loads of annual miles, and had him as having passed 2 months ago. You know what the premium came up as (the only one out of the many possible companies that would insure this imaginary guy)?

£5000. That's it . I'm determined to find a higher one
    Yes but idiots don't drive Rolls-Royces!

They do drive Corsas! xD

ReputationRep:
    Oh fully comp for a 07 corsa I had 1K-4K offers

Not fun :sad:
    How is £1000 expensive? The cheapest I was quoted for a 1.4 fiesta (on a full liscence ) was £2500 so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    lol there would have to be 4 at least named drivers all over 65 with a 100 years no claims EACH
    What you mean with me as main driver?
    Might try it :p:

(Original post by lilangel890)
    How is £1000 expensive? The cheapest I was quoted for a 1.4 fiesta (on a full liscence ) was £2500 so...
    The area you are in makes a difference due to safety etc.
    It seems expensive to me when you consider my parents can be insured on cars which are double engine size (2.somthing vs 1.2) and more expensive at a third of that.
    Being young sucks (wrt insurance)

ReputationRep:

The area you are in makes a difference due to safety etc.
    It seems expensive to me when you consider my parents can be insured on cars which are double engine size (2.somthing vs 1.2) and more expensive at a third of that.
    Being young sucks (wrt insurance)
    Oiit whatch it :P It's an alright area. Yeah I know what you mean, my mum pays like £200, mine would be more than 10 x that. Gotta convince her company to take me on when I get my own car.

You are talking about your own car right? Not just being added onto someone elses policy?

Hmm I think I'll go and lookup price for a 30yr old NQD....

Edit: £600! OMFG. Exactly the same details (even full time education) but for a 30yr old. That's like 1/4 the price. Disgusting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    Oiit whatch it :P It's an alright area. Yeah I know what you mean, my mum pays like £200, mine would be more than 10 x that. Gotta convince her company to take me on when I get my own car.

You are talking about your own car right? Not just being added onto someone elses policy?

Hmm I think I'll go and lookup price for a 30yr old NQD....
    No I was as named driver :p:
    I did say :p:

As main driver would be bad, but fortunately parents drive the car more than me :p:

Company add on? Like fleet insurance?
    I have a friends whos dad has done that for him means the insurance is ridiculously low even for what is a giant pickup

ReputationRep:
    No I was as named driver :p:
    I did say :p:

As main driver would be bad, but fortunately parents drive the car more than me :p:

Company add on? Like fleet insurance?
    I have a friends whos dad has done that for him means the insurance is ridiculously low even for what is a giant pickup
    Didn't see that in your post? Unless it was earlier. And yeah that is pretty darn expensive then geez!

Naah my mum works for insurance, thankfully, but they normally don't take under 25's.

See my edit for 30yr old <_<

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.