Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So, insurance companies can charge males and young drivers more... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeonecalledJohnny)
    Yes but idiots don't drive Rolls-Royces!

They do drive Corsas! xD
    I drive a corsa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    Didn't see that in your post? Unless it was earlier. And yeah that is pretty darn expensive then geez!

Naah my mum works for insurance, thankfully, but they normally don't take under 25's.

See my edit for 30yr old <_<
    I saw the edit, not overly surprised they way of the world really :sigh:

Good luck with that though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sh4w)
    I drive a corsa
    So do I, but I probably am an idiot XD

ReputationRep:
    My beef isn't with the male/female/age distinction, the fact is that the young boy racer is a stereotypical profile within the male bracket. My beef is with their reluctance or refusal to find ways to make it cheaper for those who are clearly out of that bracket. Previous police convictions, Academic success, University attended, Course studying, Job holding.... there must be so many other reliable sources of information which correlate better with likelihood of smashing up a car than being simply a 18 year old male. Hell I'd write them my life story if it made it any clearer I'm much less likely than your average corsa driving jackass to smash my car up. Simply having low premiums to start off with and jacking it up so high after writing off a car would not only act as a deterrent to those hitting 90 down a side road, but would surely be a much more intelligent way of doing business??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEnergizerRabbit)
    My beef isn't with the male/female/age distinction, the fact is that the young boy racer is a stereotypical profile within the male bracket. My beef is with their reluctance or refusal to find ways to make it cheaper for those who are clearly out of that bracket. Previous police convictions, Academic success, University attended, Course studying, Job holding.... there must be so many other reliable sources of information which correlate better with likelihood of smashing up a car than being simply a 18 year old male. Hell I'd write them my life story if it made it any clearer I'm much less likely than your average corsa driving jackass to smash my car up. Simply having low premiums to start off with and jacking it up so high after writing off a car would not only act as a deterrent to those hitting 90 down a side road, but would surely be a much more intelligent way of doing business??
    Wouldn't that cost the insurance company an enormous amount though?
    I do agree with the majority of what you're saying - it's stupid that it's fine to discriminate on the basis of age or gender but other things that could be used with equal effectiveness just aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEnergizerRabbit)
    :yes:
    I've heard some American companies do grade-based insurance quotes though never come across any in the UK...

ReputationRep:
    Iam often suspicious of women or the elderly who say they have never been in an accident, when I have been in their cars it's like ' no you cause them love and drive off not realising'.

Anyway as far as I know women do in fact crash more than men do, it's just when we crash we do it spectacularly with wreckage strewn over the road for yards. whereas women do little pussy things like removing wing mirrors and bumping other cars in car parks.

And apparently there is an increase in women being done for speeding mainly because of them being caught by speed cameras and female officers who they cannot charm with a bit of leg and some tears.

To be honest I dislike insurance companys and I do think charging blokes ridiculous amounts sometimes is just an excuse to make ridiculous amounts of money while waving 'statistics' in our faces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Discrimination is a fundamental part of insurance. It's all about making assumptions about you based on things out of your control. It's totally unfair, but could it work any other way? I mean, just because you're a young male with rim lighting on his car it doesn't necessarily mean you will be an unsafe driver in any way. But because of all the other people similar to you, you have to pay more.
    I have to say, the answer is yes.

Each person can pay an average amount based on the non discriminatory factors, such as age and location. Some people win, some lose, but in my opinion it's a lot more fair.

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame that insurers don't charge you the excess premium at the start of the year and then return it to you at the end if no claims have been made. Sadly things'll never change since they make too much money off careful younger drivers.

It's a shame that no claims doesn't count more for younger drivers. I've nearly got 4 years no claims no claims and yet I still have to pay far too much IMO. The other thing that irritates me is that they don't take into account how much driving experience you have. One person could have 4 years NCB having driven 3,000 miles a year and you could get somebody else like me who has averaged 16,000 miles a year in the past two years. The more experienced driver still pays the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by osamab)
    I have to say, the answer is yes.

Each person can pay an average amount based on the non discriminatory factors, such as age and location. Some people win, some lose, but in my opinion it's a lot more fair.
    Age is a non discriminatory factor? Recently it was made illegal to discriminate based on age for employment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    One person could have 4 years NCB having driven 3,000 miles a year and you could get somebody else like me who has averaged 16,000 miles a year in the past two years. The more experienced driver still pays the same.
    This annoys me too... I have to drive a long way to work and to see most of my friends, and I average 900-1000 miles per month... my mother drives about 150 miles a month and pays an eighth of what I do and her car's the same insurance group...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Didn't QI say chinese people were statistically the most dangerous drivers? I think they said Chinese people in green cars are the world's worst drivers.
    Funny you say that

Was in town centre the other day and I saw this Van actually driving on the pavement, looked who it was and it was a chinese woman with a very disturbing grin on her face

(But I reckon that's just the Chinese, they're always happy)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loz_fairy)
    I may have made this up, but isn't it also that men (in general, not just young ones) are more likely to have a major crash whereas women tend to do little stupid ones?
    I'm sure I read somewhere that alot of claims are for low speed "bumps" which is what women do. My sister got rear ended twice - by women. My dad got rear-ended and messed up the locking mechanism - by a woman. I've not been rear ended but if I do, twenty quid says it's a woman. Also, I'm sure people put damage done in car parks on their insurance, and this isn't being sexist - it's fact - women tend to be less spatially aware than men, so I'd put a few dents and scrapes in car parks down to them.

Incidentally, I tried a few insurance companies from the "drive on" magazine, one of which had a quiz and asked for your theory results and number of faults in the practical. So I put reasonable answers (the one's they were after anyway!) for the quiz, 50/50 + 67/75 for the theory and 4 faults for the practical. The quote without this information was exactly the same, somewhere north of £2000 IIRC!!

I spend hours cleaning and polishing my car and I'm not about to go out and smash it up on the roads. I want insurance companies to give everyone a 30-60 minute driving test to bring down the cost of insurance. I don't think boy racers could beat the test by "being good" cos they'd start to lose concentration.

And another thing! I spent £120 on the pass plus course, which I enjoyed, but direct line didn't give me a discount as it wasn't my policy, which would also have cost more than £2000.

£2000 to insure an insurance group 2 Nissan Micra???

Get real.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, teenage boys are willing to spend a lot more than (teenage) girls on their cars and driving in general. It's based more on price discrimination and willingness to pay than any real statistics - or at least, no companies are really trying to offer cheaper insurance to the safest of drivers that due to age fall in 'risky' categories.

ReputationRep:
    I got a quote for a Black Lamborghini V10 510bhp 2004 model....£5100 with a £2300 deposit.....nice deal

youngdriversforyou.com - ever heard of them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottD)
    I got a quote for a Black Lamborghini V10 510bhp 2004 model....£5100 with a £2300 deposit.....nice deal

youngdriversforyou.com - ever heard of them?
    So when are you taking delivery of the car? Would be silly to let it go by after that quote you've got :P

Website doesn't work, address probably wrong..

ReputationRep:
    TheV, you dont know how tempted i was....had my dads credit card to book some flights (he gave it to me, didnt take it from his wallet) was just gonna pay for the car by cash....

I'll find it for you, it was through autotrader when looking at Lamborghini Gallardos and i tried to get a quote. All the other companies turned me down, really cant understand why:

Type of car: Lamborghini Gallardo V10
    When you passed your test: >1month

hmmm i wonder why??? haha

got it: http://www.4youngdrivers.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottD)
    got it: http://www.4youngdrivers.co.uk/
    That site just quoted me £901.60. Considering I paid £554 back in February for better third party, fire & theft cover, I'm not too impressed with that site. Churchill ftw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    That site just quoted me £901.60. Considering I paid £554 back in February for better third party, fire & theft cover, I'm not too impressed with that site. Churchill ftw
    Cheapest for me was £2447.82 on that site... Not something I'll be going for!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's more powerful the car, the cheaper the insurance quote with this company.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.