Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, i heard someone say it on tv, and it's really bugging me...If i expect the unexpected, doesn't the expected become the unexpected? I don't know why i bother with these things...it's frying my brain!

ReputationRep:
    "Expect the unexpected." = Don't expect anything.

ReputationRep:
    I should have expected this thread. /sigh.

ReputationRep:
    It just means be prepared for everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    It just means be prepared for everything.
    Well, if you think about it, you can't be prepared for everything!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodo XD)
    Well, i heard someone say it on tv, and it's really bugging me...If i expect the unexpected, doesn't the expected become the unexpected? I don't know why i bother with these things...it's frying my brain!
    If the unexpected becomes the expected then you expect everything because even the expected is the expected. By doing this you have expected everything because you already expect the expected.

I.E. You're prepared.

/thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodo XD)
    Well, if you think about it, you can't be prepared for everything!!
    ....no.... but you can prepare yourself well, so that you are ready for situations that would have been otherwise been unexpected.

You're looking into it too much.

ReputationRep:
    ....no.... but you can prepare yourself well, so that you are ready for situations that would have been otherwise been unexpected.

You're looking into it too much.
    He's not looking into it too much (or ridiculously deeply :rolleyes: ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    If the unexpected becomes the expected then you expect everything because even the expected is the expected. By doing this you have expected everything because you already expect the expected. .
    That's literally one of the most confusing sentences I've ever read

ReputationRep:
    It means be prepared to deal with situations which you can't control. Its more about an attitude than anything, accepting that sometimes things will crop up which take you by surprise, they are easier to deal with if you don't bother going through the stage of "why did this happen?"

ReputationRep:
    He's not looking into it too much (or ridiculously deeply :rolleyes: ).
    "Expect the unexpected" is quite obviously a paradox, but people know what it means, so there's no problem.

Pretty much all common sayings fall apart when you analyse them

EDIT: Oh wait - what do you actually mean, OP? I just presumed you knew what it meant, but now I'm not sure. Are you asking us for the meaning of this phrase, or jsut raising it as some kind of philosophical debate?

ReputationRep:
    That's literally one of the most confusing sentences I've ever read
    Pretty straight-forward in my head. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    "Expect the unexpected" is quite obviously a paradox, but people know what it means, so there's no problem.

Your point being?

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, I've read 'expect' that many times in the last minute it's going all funny and meaningless!

ReputationRep:
    "A rolling stone gathers no moss"

But I don't understand surely some moss would be attached because some of the crevices in the rock would be blah blah blah

IT'S A SAYING

ReputationRep:
    a song by control denied...

ReputationRep:
    This is proof that no school obviously leads to boredom :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramzwj)
    "A rolling stone gathers no moss"

But I don't understand surely some moss would be attached because some of the crevices in the rock would be blah blah blah

IT'S A SAYING
    Indeed.

Also, why should I not put all my eggs in one basket?

I'd be much more careful with them if they were all in the same container, and probably make fewer trips to transport them, which would reduce the risk of accidents, and be a lot more convenient for me as well.

Your point being?
    Pretty much that ^
    It's hardly a huge revelation that sayings don't always make sense.

ReputationRep:

EDIT: Oh wait - what do you actually mean, OP? I just presumed you knew what it meant, but now I'm not sure. Are you asking us for the meaning of this phrase, or jsut raising it as some kind of philosophical debate?
    The latter

ReputationRep:
    Indeed.

Also, why should I not put all my eggs in one basket?

I'd be much more careful with them if they were all in the same container, and probably make fewer trips to transport them, which would reduce the risk of accidents, and be a lot more convenient for me as well.

Pretty much that ^
    It's hardly a huge revelation that sayings don't always make sense.

i agree :yes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.