Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there a way to work out your optimum weight etc.? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I cut from 18 stone to 15 stone from September to December. Now starting my routine again, but my BMI still classifies me as obese. Granted I'm overweight for 5ft 9 but for maintaing weightlifting quite a bit I've got quite alot of muscle all over and do lots of exercise.

But like it tells me I should be 10 stone something. I wondered if there is a better way to work out my target weight working out muscle and stuff, as I've just kind of guessed 12 stone.

Perhaps bodyfat percentage or something? I understand this thread is quite arbitrary but hoped some people could give me some advice setting an ideal target, or how those who do weightlifting know what weight is best for them etc.

ReputationRep:
    Dont listen to your BMI, fair enough its probably made to be accurate for the average person - but with muscle on you its useless.

Just go for what you think looks good rather than aiming for a number.

P.S kudos on the weight loss

ReputationRep:
    too many variables

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattw89)
    Hey,

I cut from 18 stone to 15 stone from September to December. Now starting my routine again, but my BMI still classifies me as obese. Granted I'm overweight for 5ft 9 but for maintaing weightlifting quite a bit I've got quite alot of muscle all over and do lots of exercise.

But like it tells me I should be 10 stone something. I wondered if there is a better way to work out my target weight working out muscle and stuff, as I've just kind of guessed 12 stone.

Perhaps bodyfat percentage or something? I understand this thread is quite arbitrary but hoped some people could give me some advice setting an ideal target, or how those who do weightlifting know what weight is best for them etc.
    Put a pic up, we can tell you if you look ok

ReputationRep:
    Optimum weight for what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Optimum weight for what?
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Optimum weight for what?
    well on your bmi you usually have

x-x underweight
    x-x ideal
    x-x overweight
    x-x obese

But as someone mentioned it doesn't really take into account muscle so i wondered if there is anyway people know thought your not considered overweight or fat or anything like. A good healthy weight. It's not specific to anything such as sport or lifestyle just wondering what a healthy target is for me as I think the BMI target is unrealistic.

ReputationRep:
    For a heavier built guy who actually works out 15 stone shouldn't be too bad. If you train hard and correctly you will be more healthy than 99% of the people telling you you eat too much or you're too heavy.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Matt,

I'm 5'9.5" and weighed 10 stone 10lb (18 months ago) and wanted to gain weight for sports and aesthetic reasons. I started weight training and gradually increased my calorie intake. I am now 12 stone 8lb with a body fat percentage of 9%. According to my BMI, I am overweight, but that is irrelevant as it doesn't take muscle into account.

Use the BMI chart as a rough guide for your ideal weight but dont be afraid to go over, as long as your BODY FAT remains within reasonable limits. Body fat is the main thing you need to look at!

The following site helped me greatly to achieve my goals and I'm sure it will do the same for you.

www.muscleandstrength.com

Go to the tools section and use the body fat article to understand more. Also there is a section that calculates your ideal measurements for chest, biceps, back etc, all according to a few body measurements.
    Anyway check it out. Sure it will help you.

By the way if you can get caliphers to measure body fat on amazon or ebay for 15-20 quid. If you can't be bothered with that, ask your GP!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.