Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    was just in bed and saw a shape like it and thought about it.

so, what is the minimum you would have to remove for the central cross to be able to rotate freely (about a central pivot) within the square?

it's not very hard (could be on a core1 paper) but i thought it was quite cool

say that the length of a side of the square is 10 and the width of the cross sections is 2.

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, the minimum area needing to be removed is

\displaystyle 8 \times \left(5 - \sqrt{6} - \frac{25}{2} \arcsin \left(\frac{1}{5}\right)\right)

ReputationRep:
    definitely NOT on c1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hartemop)
    definitely NOT on c1
    why not? it's easy.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Hartemop)
    definitely NOT on c1
    It's pretty easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    why not? it's easy.
    Oh I thought OP meant on the latest C1 paper :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhh how did I end up in a maths thread... I am exiting quickly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cool guy reli)
    I think its safe to assume that the shape was, or never will be, that of another human being beside you in bed?
    I'm pretty sure Totally Tom will be able to afford to buy a thai bride when older.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I like the fact that potential mathematics questions present themselves to tom as he lies in bed. It is reassuring to know I am not alone. In my case, being awake is entirely optional. Unfortunately, if I don't write down what I was thinking as soon as I wake up, the question slips away and I am left with a tantalising feeling that I was onto something good but can't quite remember what.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I like the fact that potential mathematics questions present themselves to tom as he lies in bed. It is reassuring to know I am not alone. In my case, being awake is entirely optional. Unfortunately, if I don't write down what I was thinking as soon as I wake up, the question slips away and I am left with a tantalising feeling that I was onto something good but can't quite remember what.
    For what it's worth, I was woken up by having accidentally proven an identity involving sums of multinomial coefficients recently. So I wrote it down and went back to sleep. (And for the first time ever, it wasn't complete nonsense when I woke up in the morning.)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    For what it's worth, I was woken up by having accidentally proven an identity involving sums of multinomial coefficients recently. So I wrote it down and went back to sleep. (And for the first time ever, it wasn't complete nonsense when I woke up in the morning.)
    Back in the days when I was an extremely minor pop star, I used to compose songs (of variable quality) while I was asleep. Brains seem to have a lot more freedom to figure things out while your body is motionless.

ReputationRep:
    I got the minimum as  40-8\sqrt6-50\mathrm{arcsin}(\frac{1}{5}) Which is the same as Elongars

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    I'm pretty sure Totally Tom will be able to afford to buy a thai bride when older.
    gonna have to price me one of these babies up some day.

+ i confess to have not actually worked it out, it's more of what to do than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    give up, how do you do it? :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 27, 2009

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.