Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    last edited

ReputationRep:
    It's best not to plan anything ahead what with the swine flu death toll being predicted at 300k/day and a recession and unemployment booms..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sver)
    It's best not to plan anything ahead what with the swine flu death toll being predicted at 300k/day and a recession and unemployment booms..
    Lmao, 300k/day ahaha

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell you're 15 and have completed your A-Levels with flying colours. Well done!

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine what kind of a job you could get, that would allow you to live on your own at 16. It's more expensive than you'd think, especally if you're trying to save up some money for other things.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, 3As at nearly 16. That's impressive man. Sorry I have no useful contribution.

ReputationRep:
    You are 15 and have already done your A-Levels? how does that work?

As for living on your own, I am not sure how you would go about doing that to be perfectly honest. Unless, of course, your parents purchased or rented a flat for you and paid for all your expenses. Actually, it would almost have to be a private purchase; most landlords wouldn't touch a 15/16 year old tenant with a bargepole. I am not sure if renting to a 15/16 year old would be legal anyway, as technically you would still be a child in the eyes of the law.

So yes, private ownership. But if we are honest, the vast majority of parents are not going to give that kind of responsibility (running their own place) to a 15 year old, for obvious reasons.

At 16, you are looking at shop work really. Working on the tills, re-stocking shelves, waitressing maybe, fast food restaurants. Nothing glamorous unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    I think there are limits on the number of hours you can work at 16 if you are in full time education. If you are in full time education, I would have thought that those restrictions don't apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by python38)
    OK, forget living on my own, then. Can I work as long as an 18-yr-old would, and how much per hour could I reasonably expect to earn?

FYI, I had to arrange to take my A-levels at a local school, and then a college, as a private candidate (because I was homeschooled).

@La Esmerelda and ghanglish: Er, thanks I guess .
    The amount you earn greatly depends on the job you get. I think the minimum wage for someone under 18 is only about £3 an hour

ReputationRep:
    £5.73 an hour for adults (workers aged 22 and over)
    £4.77 an hour for workers aged 18 to 21 inclusive (often known as the developmental rate)
    £3.53 an hour for young people (often known as the youth rate)
    A young worker is someone who is older than mandatory school leaving age and younger than 18. You are mandatory school leaving age after the last Friday in June of the school year you turn 16 in.

If you are compulsory school age (up until the last Friday in June of the school year you turn 16 in) you are not entitled to the NMW. Some of your other employment rights are also different.
    This is the absolute minimum they can pay you. Some employers might be nice and pay you more (my Saturday job when I was 15 paid me £6/hour), but some people - eg. my current employer - wll completely take advantage of the fact they don't have to pay you as much as the older staff.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/YoungPeo...work/DG_174530
    I was going to do another quote box, but it's easier for you to read the website. There's a lot of good info on there.

And I work in hospitality, as a general assistant in a hotel/restaurant/bar (all those things in one). Mostly because I really needed a job, and happen to live in a tourist town, but partly because I thought hospitality might be an area that could make use of the ML degree I'm studying for.

ReputationRep:
    What's an ML degree? (Sorry, I don't know much about the different degrees on offer).

And thank you for the link - so, if I work maximum hours, I can earn a minimum of £141 a week. Not too bad .
    Oh, so sorry. ML = modern languages. I thought it was a really standard abbreviation on school timetables etc, but if you were homeschooled I can see why you wouldn't have come across it.

And I do have to work with loads of different customers, but it's alright actually. Genrerally they're nicer than your average retail customer, because the majority of them are on holiday and so more relaxed. Tbh - it's the other staff that get to me....

ReputationRep:
    What counts as full-time education? I finish taking exams by around next mid-May, but, since I'm homeschooled, I'm not too sure exactly what counts.
    Um... if you have AAA already, what exams are you taking til next May? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you must have to learn a lot of languages... I can only speak English and a smidgeon of Malay, although I'm trying to learn Mandarin Chinese as well.
    haha - I'm not studying all modern languages Just French German and English. Also, good luck with the Mandarin. I started learning, but gave up, unfortunately.

Oh... so if you're a younger member of staff, the older members will often pick on you or something? That must be pretty annoying to have to put up with :eek:.
    it's not so much that they pick on me for being the youngest (though I am, come to think of it), it's more the fact that most of them there don't have two brain cells to rub together, and the ones who do are total snobs. Having said this, I do frequently get bossed around by people who aren't technically in charge of me, some of whom have only been there for a fraction of the time I have. So, yeah... being young isn't always so great.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still in shock that you're my age, probably the same year as me & already have 3A's.. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    hang on OP but might you have problems getting in to since you dont have GCSE in English and Maths (but your obviously more than capable)

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to university this autumn, but I might take a gap year or something - I'm busy looking into gap year schemes. However, I'd also like to know what other types of jobs I could get should I defer a year.

I have 3 A-levels (Maths, Further Maths, and Physics, AAA) but I never took my GCSEs (I'm homeschooled, so I could do some stuff early.) I don't have any previous work experience being employed outside my immediate family.

I won't be looking to get a job till I turn 16 next January, but what kind of work could I get then? (I know I won't be able to get anything fancy, but I was just wondering.)

P.S. How much does it cost to live on one's own? If I could get some experience of this before I went to university, that would be great.

Thanks!
    Lol youd be lucky to actually get a job paying £4 odd an hour in this economy and the only way you could afford to live on your own is renting a room in a shared house and eating every other or every two days lol. Youre far too inexperienced at a time when everyones looking and noones recruiting. Youd also probably get only a part-time or temporary job in some kind of retail place as offices look for more experience.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.