Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heyy

Ok all my Pharmacy options have rejected me with Medway offering me an alternative unconditional to B231 Community Pharmacy Practice or something- I didn't see this till today and thought they'd offered me pharmacy! :'-(

What should I do? I'm sooo scared and worried about clearing... will I get in etc?... do I still need good a-level grades to get in anywheeree in the uk?! (I already done 1 yr of medicine, I thought that would work in my favour!) I can't even think straight :-(

Please help, and anyone who's been in similar situation....

ReputationRep:
    What are your grades/predicted grades? I've looked every year for the last 5 years or so and there's always a fair few places on clearing.

Edit: If you've done 1 year of Med, that would suggest impressive A Levels. You can contact your unis about why they rejected you? Is it something to do with your PS?

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahahahahahahaha loser

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_KaKa)
    Hahahahahahahahahaha loser
    You horribe person!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pingu09)
    Heyy

Ok all my Pharmacy options have rejected me with Medway offering me an alternative unconditional to B231 Community Pharmacy Practice or something- I didn't see this till today and thought they'd offered me pharmacy! :'-(
    What should I do? I'm sooo scared and worried about clearing... will I get in etc?... do I still need good a-level grades to get in anywheeree in the uk?! (I already done 1 yr of medicine, I thought that would work in my favour!) I can't even think straight :-(

Please help, and anyone who's been in similar situation....

Poor you.
    But how did you not realise until today that they hadnt offered you a place for pharmacy?
    But like someone has already said, what are your predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    Since he got in for medicine im sure he will have good A-lvls. Now there are quite a few unis who have Pharmacy on clearing, so im sure you will be fine.

good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Im a girl... :'-s

Ok no, I have terrible a-levels... CCD; got into an access med course.

Do you think I should re-sit A-levels?... perhaps that way more Pharmacy places will be likely.

ReputationRep:
    ps. I had just saw unconditional offer, and I got so happy... I didn't see that on the side the UCAS code had changed from B230 to B231!

ReputationRep:
    ps. I had just saw unconditional offer, and I got so happy... I didn't see that on the side the UCAS code had changed from B230 to B231!
    B231 is a 2 year foundation degree so if you pass it you could go into the MPharm without doing the 1st year, I think. With your A levels, this is probably the best route in to Pharmacy - seems better than resitting A levels anyway provided you are happy to go to Medway.

ReputationRep:
    Yehh... I'm in so much debt 10k already... and now living out will kill me even more not to mention I can't get tutition fee loans anymore... I just sooo don't want to do a foundation course for 2 yearss at Medway...if they offered Phrmacy I think I would have been more willing to acept it... I feel like it might be a big gamble?

ReputationRep:
    Yehh... I'm in so much debt 10k already... and now living out will kill me even more not to mention I can't get tutition fee loans anymore... I just sooo don't want to do a foundation course for 2 yearss at Medway...if they offered Phrmacy I think I would have been more willing to acept it... I feel like it might be a big gamble?
    But their offer is usually BBB and that's low for MPharm degrees anyway. I think you'll need an access course or a foundation degree or better A levels or other qualifications to get entry onto any MPharm really. Have you considered doing some Open University courses and then trying to gain entry to Pharmacy once you've cleared your debt a bit and also improved your qualifications? If you could get some credits for passing OU courses then universities might consider you as a mature student with unusual qualifications and be more willing to consider you for MPharm. But all this will take several years so make sure you really do want to do pharmacy before starting on this lengthy road to an MPharm degree. Have you considered other health related options - e.g. radiography or nursing or other similar careers?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you're right, it is definately a lengthy road... yeh I did consider other health related stuff, but I didn't really want to do any of those.
    Hence I really want to research as much as possible this week by Friday, and decide the next step.

I don't know whether I'd be better off doing medicine (still have my heart set on it, even after pharmacy) in my home country Pakistan, as I was born there, so i wouldnt have to pay high fees, no language barrier etc. Would need good alevels for that still though, so that way resitting would help.

I think it's all about forming a strong base again at this point now isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if CCD is good enough for medicine.
    But if your heart's set on it then go for it

ReputationRep:
    I think the lowest grades you can get in pharmacy with are BBB/C so I would suggest improving your a-lvls. You should become an External Student and prepare for your exams at home ang go into college to sit your exams only, this way you can work off some of that 10K debt your in, aswell as getting ur a-lvl grades up to scratch.

ReputationRep:
    Heyy,

Ok please someone help me out...I've basically contacted many universities as well as my uni careers which were crapp... and the medicine door seems very likely closed for now. However, regarding the pharmacy option, that is the only choice I have left. I know uni people keep on telling me other health related stuff, but I dont want to do it... :-(

1. I don't know whether to resit A-levels or not? Upon resitting though, I would need to get much higher grades. Careers pointed out after 4 years a-levels most likely would have gotten harder/changed?

OR....

2. Appply to other 1 year foundation courses B231 via clearing (if there wil be any spacee!) and then through those universities hopefully try to get onto pharmacy? (Is this risky/does it happen etc?)- That would mean I would have to decline my medway offer to be eligible for clearing right?

OR...

3. Just accept the 2 year foundation course at Medway... does anyone know the rate of people who pass and get through?

ReputationRep:
    If you do option number 3, is this like a pharmacy entry course, which means upon completing the chnaces of getting into pharmacy are higher?
    If so, I would do that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, if do No.3, with 40% or higher they said on the website, I would be transferred onto 2nd year of Pharmacy.

This is what it is... http://www.msp.ac.uk/studying/underg...rac/index.html

I think the other foundation courses which other universities offer are more broad in terms of their science content it seems....

I'm so confused...

ReputationRep:
    well if your "scared" of the fact that your going to need better grades if you resit a-lvls then I would forget about pharmacy....quite obviously your going to need to improve your grades from CCD probs wouldnt even be good enough for pharmaceutical chemistry...however some universities allow thier top students from that course to progress onto pharmacy...so you might want to look at that

ReputationRep:
    Heyy,

Ok please someone help me out...I've basically contacted many universities as well as my uni careers which were crapp... and the medicine door seems very likely closed for now. However, regarding the pharmacy option, that is the only choice I have left. I know uni people keep on telling me other health related stuff, but I dont want to do it... :-(

1. I don't know whether to resit A-levels or not? Upon resitting though, I would need to get much higher grades. Careers pointed out after 4 years a-levels most likely would have gotten harder/changed?

OR....

2. Appply to other 1 year foundation courses B231 via clearing (if there wil be any spacee!) and then through those universities hopefully try to get onto pharmacy? (Is this risky/does it happen etc?)- That would mean I would have to decline my medway offer to be eligible for clearing right?

OR...

3. Just accept the 2 year foundation course at Medway... does anyone know the rate of people who pass and get through?
    I think the best option for you would be to resit your A-levels. If you could achieve at least AAB in your A-levels then you would stand a very very good chance of getting offers for Pharmacy from places like Manchester, Nottingham, Bath, London i.e. the most over-subscribed places, assuming you want to go to one of those places.

However, you seem keen on Medicine and I can't seem to tell where your passion really lies. If it is for Medicine then I think you should channel your time and efforts in that direction. Write to medical schools and explain your circumstances and see what they say.

They may most likely tell you that they won't consider you and that you'll have to go do another course and perhaps reapply as a graduate. If so then you should focus on Pharmacy.

I have to point out though if you are keen on either of those courses, both are very competetive to get onto and very tough demanding courses (Medicine especially more so) and if you're worried about achieving AAB at A-Level then perhaps it may not be for you.

Even if you did another health-science degree with the intention of studying Medicine as a graduate, you would still need to get at least a 2:1 be it in Pharmacy or anything else to even stand a chance of being considered for admission as a graduate student onto a Medicine course.

As for the foundation courses, I have no experience or know anybody who's been on those so I can't comment but they don't seem like very good options to me.

You need to explain your circumstances very carefully to universities you're considering and ask their opinion.

But the point I'm trying to make is that if you want to do Medicine or Pharmacy, there's no escaping the fact you need to get good grades. It can be done if you work hard and put your mind to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maestor)
    well if your "scared" of the fact that your going to need better grades if you resit a-lvls then I would forget about pharmacy....quite obviously your going to need to improve your grades from CCD probs wouldnt even be good enough for pharmaceutical chemistry...however some universities allow thier top students from that course to progress onto pharmacy...so you might want to look at that
    With grades like CCD the chances of ranking in the top quartile or top percentage of students eligible to progress to Pharmacy would seem incredibly slim.

Don't forget, every plenty of good students miss out on offers for courses such as Medicine or Pharmacy and some will have grades of at least AAB if not higher. Some of them will go away and take up places on courses like Biomedical Science or Clinical Sciences or even the course mentioned above with a view to transfering into their desired course based on first year results. These students tend be very competetive and strogn academically and it is usually these students who rank in this top percentage and get to transfer.

There's no easy way about getting into Medical School or Pharmacy School except hard work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.