The Student Room Group

Is getting a first bad for getting jobs?

I heard that if you graduate with a first, you'll face problems getting jobs because employers will feel insecure about you and think you'll leave because you are "too good". Does this claim hold any merit?

EDIT: This is a serious thread and I'm not trolling. I just wished you people would give my query a little thought before jumping to the conclusion that I'm an idiot/troll.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. Why would it? (Unless of course you're applying for Burger King.)
Reply 2
:rolleyes:

neodymium
I heard that if you graduate with a first, you'll face problems getting jobs because employers will feel insecure about you and think you'll leave because you are "too good". Does this claim hold any merit?

Only on TSR would you hear crap like this.
Yes, a first will cause chaos.
It is well known that PWC and Bloomsbury want the worst people they can find. :p:
Reply 4
The whole world is starting to make sense now :O:
Reply 5
Not any more than having Highers will disadvantage you when getting a job at Tesco's
Reply 6
EskimoJo
Think about what you're saying before you start a thread.

Im really confused, and that's why i asked. :o:

It's not unreasonable, so I thought I would confirm.
LMAO that is the biggest pile of crap I have heard in my entire life!

Deary deary me . . :rolleyes:
Reply 8
To an extent it's true. But you won't want to settle anyway with a 1st. There is such thing as being overqualified.
Reply 9
:lolwut: Seriously?
Reply 10
It actually can, if you have no social skills or communication/team work skills, employers do look for more than just education levels.
If you are an absolute geek who can't communicate, you are no use to anyone.

But

If you have a first, but can talk to people, and understand the idea of a social life, then you are fine.
It's not unreasonable, so I thought I would confirm.

Not unreasonable at all. In the real world this paradoxically is true. Some environments frown upon smart people, especially when things get fiercely competitive.
Reply 12
philip67
It actually can, if you have no social skills or communication/team work skills, employers do look for more than just education levels.

There are plenty of job for people with little communication skills...take accountancy for example, it's just number crunching...
Did you say that in your head, as a full post, and think it through before hitting post or did you just start typing and not stop?
Reply 14
People are being mean here. I think it's totally possible for them to think like that, but it really depends on the employer.
Reply 15
No.
Reply 16
philip67
But
If you have a first, but can talk to people, and understand the idea of a social life, then you are fine.

This == true! I know some recruitment consultants and they have said the same thing. People are being v. harsh on the op imo.

bigmo7
There are plenty of job for people with little communication skills...take accountancy for example, it's just number crunching...

I see your point but accoutancy firms (especially the larger ones) deal with administrations etc which involves leaving the reclusive confines of an office and going out to talk to the managers of the company, the director and the stakeholders.

So basically aim for a 1st but if it involves locking yourslef away from humanity for 3 year then you may be better off with a 2:1 (plus you will have way more fun)
Reply 17
neodymium

EDIT: This is a serious thread and I'm not trolling. I just wished you people would give my query a little thought before jumping to the conclusion that I'm an idiot/troll.

Oh Dear Oh Dear!!! Some people on this furum (control yourself control yourself Adam!)... :yes:
Reply 18
As people have said you need to come across as sociable/engaging (at interview - and eventually on the job) and some companies (wrongly) assume people with firsts mightn't have these skills

But it'll probably get you an interview, and then you can easily convince them you aren't a recluse - so in the long run it isn't bad, it can just give them a 'poor' first impression

(speaking from anecdotal experience only of course...)
When I finished sixth form I didn't want to go to Uni, I wanted to do an apprenticeship in accountancy. I had an interview at a local firm with two men, one of which didn't say a word the whole time. I was told by them that I should get a job in a bar or somewhere similar to develop my inter-personal skills as I hadn't had a job before. I sat there thinking, your saying I need to learn how to speak with customers!!

When I was job hunting I found that my A-levels didn't help me and was turned down for a job because I was over-qualified.

I think in this economic climate more people are going for any job they can get and a first may be a disadvantage as the employer may think that you believe your better than the job and so will leave when the recession is over and you can find something better.

Latest

Trending

Trending