Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is getting a first bad for getting jobs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can people please stop the spam and targeting the OP (and certainly don't use insults). It's not actually a stupid question as there is such a thing as being overqualified.

Getting a first will not put you at a disadvantage compared to only achieving a 2:1. It's often an advantage. But it's a big, big world out there with many different career areas and employers. One employer may have a completely different opinion to another. Then they to another.....

A graduate with a 2:1 (and I'm talking about a good, solid, 2:1) can have more work experience, extra curriculars and more well developed (and attractive) social and personal skills compared to a student with a first who spent 50 hours a week studying and little else. But then I don't think the "typical" graduate (with a first) is some socially unskilled, wet behind the years, ill prepared nerd and completely unprepared for the world of work like some seem to think.

So people shouldn't think that a person with the first will always get the job over another candidate with a 2:1. But, at the same time, I don't think it's possible to say achieving a first puts you at a disadvantage. Not at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philip67)
    It actually can, if you have no social skills or communication/team work skills, employers do look for more than just education levels.
    If you are an absolute geek who can't communicate, you are no use to anyone.

But

If you have a first, but can talk to people, and understand the idea of a social life, then you are fine.

This is what we were told at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    they want the best who can do the job, why the heck would they complain if you're "too good". Surely thats their benefit

ReputationRep:
    I have a first, which I gained as a mature student. I went to uni after spending a good few years in work, and I think from that I've gained reasonable social skills, the ability to team work etc etc. I actually do agree with the OP to a certain extent. Having a first probably isn't a disadvantage if you've been to the 'right' kind of uni and you're going for a certain kind of career. If I were able to afford to go into academia, for example, then my first wouldn't be a disadvantage. If I'd gone to Oxbridge and I wanted to get into a blue-chip company, then again, my first probably wouldn't be a disadvantage.

However ... in the real world I have to be honest and say that I have found my first to be a disadvantage. I have actually been told in interviews that a first is 'intimidating' and they think that I won't stay in company. I'm not some kind of geeky freak, and I can talk to people and as a more 'mature' person I have work-experience, but even so I know that my academic qualification has lost me jobs. Before I got my present job, I did get to the point where I was considering putting that I had a 2:1 on my CV. I know damn well that if I needed to apply for a more 'menial' job then it would be a positive disadvantage - but then in that kind of job having a degree generally would probably be a disadvantage too. A lot of people feel intimidated by degrees, and there are lots of managers out there who don't necessarily want to employ someone who they're worried might come up behind them ...

I don't 'hate' my first - that would be ridiculous and personally I would have been disappointed in myself if I hadn't come out of uni with that particular grade (I don't mean this to sound arrogant, btw, I didn't go out of my way to get a first but I was just very lucky that I found my niche at uni and did well). But as a real world qualification? Yes, it can be a disadvantage, especially when you're looking for that first job out of uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paeony)
    I have a first, which I gained as a mature student. I went to uni after spending a good few years in work, and I think from that I've gained reasonable social skills, the ability to team work etc etc. I actually do agree with the OP to a certain extent. Having a first probably isn't a disadvantage if you've been to the 'right' kind of uni and you're going for a certain kind of career. If I were able to afford to go into academia, for example, then my first wouldn't be a disadvantage. If I'd gone to Oxbridge and I wanted to get into a blue-chip company, then again, my first probably wouldn't be a disadvantage.

However ... in the real world I have to be honest and say that I have found my first to be a disadvantage. I have actually been told in interviews that a first is 'intimidating' and they think that I won't stay in company. I'm not some kind of geeky freak, and I can talk to people and as a more 'mature' person I have work-experience, but even so I know that my academic qualification has lost me jobs. Before I got my present job, I did get to the point where I was considering putting that I had a 2:1 on my CV. I know damn well that if I needed to apply for a more 'menial' job then it would be a positive disadvantage - but then in that kind of job having a degree generally would probably be a disadvantage too. A lot of people feel intimidated by degrees, and there are lots of managers out there who don't necessarily want to employ someone who they're worried might come up behind them ...

I don't 'hate' my first - that would be ridiculous and personally I would have been disappointed in myself if I hadn't come out of uni with that particular grade (I don't mean this to sound arrogant, btw, I didn't go out of my way to get a first but I was just very lucky that I found my niche at uni and did well). But as a real world qualification? Yes, it can be a disadvantage, especially when you're looking for that first job out of uni.
    What uni did you go to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    What uni did you go to?
    Glancing at the first page of his recent posts it looks like Roehampton, which I haven't heard of.

Back on topic, it depends on the subject and the role applied for. Applying for a management role with a history degree? I reckon they're more interested in the other stuff you did and a 2:1 is all the proof of intellectual competence they need. Applying for a technical role at a software company with a computer science degree? I don't think they're as bothered about your antics as president of the squash club as they are that you're ******* good at your subject, in which case a first is the proof they need.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like bs made up by people who got a 2.1 or below.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    yes definatly BS that we have been told by our careers advisors and lectueres, in an informative way of telling people who are on for firsts to actually get a social life. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philip67)
    yes definatly BS that we have been told by our careers advisors and lectueres, in an informative way of telling people who are on for firsts to actually get a social life. :rolleyes:
    Insecure, much?

ReputationRep:
    People are *****ing at the OP as if it is completely ludicrous but there are some firms that don't like hiring Oxbridge grads with firsts as they think this could show that they literally are reclusive and may not lack social skills to perform well. However, it's probably merely speculative but you guys shouldn't act as if it's not at all possible.

ReputationRep:
    Where does this idea of "getting a first = social retard" come from? It's not that hard to get a first if you're disciplined.

This guy's spot on:

(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)

ReputationRep:
    My aunt who called me after I got my results told me that employers sometimes think people with firsts will think they know it all. I'm not sure I believe that though tbh.

Honestly? Work for a first but make sure you do plenty of other stuff for your CV (unless your course is very vocational or you're planning to go into academia).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    It's not that hard to get a first if you're disciplined.
    Actually, I agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    I like how most people assume that getting a first means not having a social life or getting involved in any extra-curricular activities. It is possible to be well-rounded and still excel academically.

ReputationRep:
    McDonalds don't want you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    No. Why would it? (Unless of course you're applying for Burger King.)
    What? I heard Burger King required a 1st in Maths and Physics from Cambridge :|

ReputationRep:
    Employers prefer a 2:1 with plenty of E.Cs, obviously a first with plenty of E.Cs is better, but a first without E.Cs will lose to the former.

ReputationRep:
    Holy **** I hate TSR.

You'd only hear **** like that from someone who didn't get a first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neodymium)
    I heard that if you graduate with a first, you'll face problems getting jobs because employers will feel insecure about you and think you'll leave because you are "too good". Does this claim hold any merit?

EDIT: This is a serious thread and I'm not trolling. I just wished you people would give my query a little thought before jumping to the conclusion that I'm an idiot/troll.
    No, but getting a PHD or a Masters means you probably less likely to be considered for low paid jobs as employers will think you will leave straight away.

ReputationRep:
    Well, OP has a point as there such thing as being overqualified. I have a relative who has just found a job after struggling to find one for the reason of being overqualified.

A first is very unlikely to hinder job opportunities seriously, unless you are applying to work at McDonalds or KFC. A first is more likely to be helpful to you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.