Turn on thread page Beta

can epilepsy fit into university??? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am epileptic and applied for a teaching course at university, because thats all i ever wanted to be. But can this ailment stop me getting into university or would it conflict with the disabilities act?

My epilepsy is 'kinda' under control in the sense I have them less frequently and mostly at night but I don't know what I'll do with myself if i fail at this

ReputationRep:
    They're not allowed to discriminate on the basis of disability, at all, so you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoveBites)
    They're not allowed to discriminate on the basis of disability, at all, so you should be fine
    thanks, I just worried that because as part of my course i will be working with children, then they could say it is unsafe or something

ReputationRep:
    I think as long as you're on your medication and are capable of teaching, you shouldn't have a problem...there are definitely epileptic teachers out there!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, my mum 'god bless her soul' wanted to make sure I had enough money so I didn't struggle in uni, so she overexaggerated my condition to my doc, not realising she may have made things worse.

Whilst in college i worked part time in a school, so with a reference from them i'm sure i will be fine.... thanks for easing my worries a bit there lovebites

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.