Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any golfers here? Are there any good places to play near the University?

ReputationRep:
    Wentworth is a ten minute drive down the A30, I think the university does a scholarship for talented golfers as well if you're interested. Alas that is the extent of my local golfing knowledge, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortarse)
    Wentworth is a ten minute drive down the A30, I think the university does a scholarship for talented golfers as well if you're interested. Alas that is the extent of my local golfing knowledge, sorry!
    No, it was really helpful! Thanks. I won't have a car though, so I'd like somewhere that's nearby. I'm not talented at all! Still learning but want to be able to play while I'm at University.

ReputationRep:
    You can train to Sunningdale and literally just walk for about 5mins and the entrance to Wentworth is there. Or just get a cab, wouldn't cost THAT much I don't think. Wentworth will be expensive though - one of the most well known courses in the country and you'd be rubbing shoulders with the rich and celebs of the area There's another course alongside the Windsor train line - see it as you go past. The links run directly parallel to the train line. There is a RHUL golf club too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    You can train to Sunningdale and literally just walk for about 5mins and the entrance to Wentworth is there. Or just get a cab, wouldn't cost THAT much I don't think. Wentworth will be expensive though - one of the most well known courses in the country and you'd be rubbing shoulders with the rich and celebs of the area There's another course alongside the Windsor train line - see it as you go past. The links run directly parallel to the train line. There is a RHUL golf club too
    Thanks for the info! Do you know what this golf club next to the Windsor train line is called? I told my Dad about Wentworth and his jaw dropped. It's one of his dream golf courses. But I won't be able to afford the prices there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    Thanks for the info! Do you know what this golf club next to the Windsor train line is called? I told my Dad about Wentworth and his jaw dropped. It's one of his dream golf courses. But I won't be able to afford the prices there.
    I believe it's this one: http://www.datchetgolfclub.co.uk/

Re: Wentworth prices - you never know that the RHUL golf club has a special mates' rates type thing.

Oh and completely forgot - there is actually a club in Sunningdale itself, Wentworth's further down the A30 http://www.sunningdale-golfclub.co.uk/site/home/

ReputationRep:
    Oh and there's Windlesham too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    Oh and there's Windlesham too
    Just emailed them! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I play golf as well ... not good, but I like to do it once in a while
    But I am not sure if I am going to bring my golf set to RHUL, for it's normally not the cheapest sport and I don't know if I can afford it as a student..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    Any golfers here? Are there any good places to play near the University?
    Hey, I'm into golf and coming to RH in September, there's some great courses around the area but yep maybe a bit too expensive for students - Wentworth!

Do you know anything about the golf society? Maybe they do discount trips, or if not there seems to be a few people about interested could sort out our own game!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goonerjack)
    Hey, I'm into golf and coming to RH in September, there's some great courses around the area but yep maybe a bit too expensive for students - Wentworth!

Do you know anything about the golf society? Maybe they do discount trips, or if not there seems to be a few people about interested could sort out our own game!
    Yeah it would be. In Leicester a round ranges anything from £10-£35 depending on where you play. It would be good if we could find a course which is around £15-£20 ish so that I could play regularly.

Are you sticking around most weekends? It would be a great thing to fill every saturday/sunday with!

ReputationRep:

Apparently the Golf Society membership allows you to get discounts at the majority of the clubs in the area. I'm definitely up for a 2 or 3 games every week. I want to take Golf very seriously!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    Apparently the Golf Society membership allows you to get discounts at the majority of the clubs in the area. I'm definitely up for a 2 or 3 games every week. I want to take Golf very seriously!
    As long as I can afford, I would look to play once a week. My clubs are dreadful though, they cost me £70 from Sports world LOL, still I currently play off 18 so we'll see.

What do you think you will be playing off?

ReputationRep:
    I still don't have an official handicap as the closest 18 hole is an hour and a half away. Can't be bothered to go that far and the next practical exam is in three weeks. I'll probably get one once I get to Royal Holloway.

ReputationRep:
    I dont have a 'formal' handicap anymore since ive only played a couple of times in the last few years. Everytime I play though I hit about 88-92 ish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJBzzz)
    As long as I can afford, I would look to play once a week. My clubs are dreadful though, they cost me £70 from Sports world LOL, still I currently play off 18 so we'll see.

What do you think you will be playing off?
    If you're playing off 18 with JJB irons then you're doing pretty well! I don't have a handicap yet - not a member anywhere - but generally get in the 90s, lately had a few in the 80s getting used to some courses makes it much easier to score! reckon 18 would be a fair handicap for me more or less

(Original post by WokSz)
    If there's cheap membership somewhere then I'd be up for playing often - otherwise if it's pay & play then might have to be just weekends... hopefully the golf society will have some good deals!

Looking forward to playing, found a few courses which are around RHUL and not too expensive (well, compared to Wentworth/Sunningdale!) - just a matter of getting there... does anyone have a car?

Abbey Moor Golf Club
    Barrow Hills Golf Club
    Datchet Golf Club
    Lavender Park Golf Course
    Richings Park Golf Club
    Sunbury Golf Club

ReputationRep:
    If you're playing off 18 with JJB irons then you're doing pretty well! I don't have a handicap yet - not a member anywhere - but generally get in the 90s, lately had a few in the 80s getting used to some courses makes it much easier to score! reckon 18 would be a fair handicap for me more or less

If there's cheap membership somewhere then I'd be up for playing often - otherwise if it's pay & play then might have to be just weekends... hopefully the golf society will have some good deals!

Looking forward to playing, found a few courses which are around RHUL and not too expensive (well, compared to Wentworth/Sunningdale!) - just a matter of getting there... does anyone have a car?

Abbey Moor Golf Club
    Barrow Hills Golf Club
    Datchet Golf Club
    Richings Park Golf Club
    Sunbury Golf Club
    I do, but I cant take it until second year because of halls policy!

ReputationRep:

Abbey Moor Golf Club
    Barrow Hills Golf Club
    Datchet Golf Club
    Richings Park Golf Club
    Sunbury Golf Club
    I'm sure we could take the train!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 31, 2009
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.