Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    NOt sure what insight people might have but here goes.

I will be brief.

I have not too long ago started at SEO level (different name in my dept) after my PhD. I have been offered a chance at fast stream within my dept. It would mean a £5k drop in salary and after 5 years I will be breaking £40k in my current position looking for promotion. However, I am not sure what the progression would be in my current position, I hear it is very much dead mans shoes for promotion. Would fast track get me through that ceiling in the long run, or would at best a fast streamer be heading for where I am now?

In the long run I do not want to stagnate.

this seems quite useful http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/Asset..._tcm6-5165.pdf P19

however on P3 it states that level 7 can be achieved in 4 years (pretty much the same as what I am on course for) and that SCS a few years after that. What is a few years?.....I would assume at my current rate I would be looking at 11/12 years from now. would fast stream open up SCS?

Any views welcome.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say stay as you are, there is no additional support ex fast streamers get once they reach G7.

ReputationRep:
    If you're an SEO now, you'll be in G7sville within 4 years.

I've moved from the FS to being a normal HEO - basically being moved around all the time didn't work out for me. (I find out if I've got a secondment outside my dept next week...)

Is the 5k cut worth the extra NSG training that they put on for FSers? No. Having said that, there's nothing to stop you doing the assessment centre as an inservice candidate (though it assumes you having passed your probation before you're eligible) and then making that call later on as to whether to go on it.

Personally, I think the Fast Stream gets too much publicity as the "only" route into the SCS. I'd like to see some of the other routes publicised much more - if anything to get away from the "I didn't get into the Fast Stream!!! I'm a FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAILU UUUUUUUUUUUURE" reactions that have been programmed into some people by our education system. (On of the core competencies in the upper echelons of the civil service is being able to deal with failure well - and that is something that has been in place since 1881...)

I'm not against the Fast Stream in principle - I think that it's right we should have one as some people are cut out for it. However, there are those that are not but who make perfectly competent - even outstanding civil servants. Getting on the FS isn't a prerequisite to this.

Also, how the Fast Stream is managed varies too much from department to department.

ReputationRep:
    Get a proper job in the private sector

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    If you're an SEO now, you'll be in G7sville within 4 years.
    not too sure about that. There are many folk below me who have 10-12 years service, and they have all been at the top of their payband for many years without promotion. Ill prob have to try and move sideways out the division to go up after 4 years. but yeah it could be done in 4.

I've moved from the FS to being a normal HEO - basically being moved around all the time didn't work out for me. (I find out if I've got a secondment outside my dept next week...)
    Glad to hear it isnt for everyone, and that its possible to succeed in other routes

Is the 5k cut worth the extra NSG training that they put on for FSers? No. Having said that, there's nothing to stop you doing the assessment centre as an inservice candidate (though it assumes you having passed your probation before you're eligible) and then making that call later on as to whether to go on it.
    Good idea, but that would mean discussing it with my line manager, which would possibly lead to him thinking my dedication isnt to the position and division i am in. Ill probably just keep stable for now and weigh it up in 5 years if nothing alters.

Personally, I think the Fast Stream gets too much publicity as the "only" route into the SCS. I'd like to see some of the other routes publicised much more - if anything to get away from the "I didn't get into the Fast Stream!!! I'm a FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAILU UUUUUUUUUUUURE" reactions that have been programmed into some people by our education system. (On of the core competencies in the upper echelons of the civil service is being able to deal with failure well - and that is something that has been in place since 1881...)
    I really like this point, I would like to see what are the chances for non-FS to become SCS. I am not to fussed about joining SCS just now, I just want to do the best I can and progress in time, when I am ready. I do not have targets like that, so long as I am upwardly mobile, and I dont just simply stagnate. I am certainly do not think I am a failure. For my age range in my dept there are only 50 or so people at my grade or above, so I in no way think that I am or will be a failure.

I'm not against the Fast Stream in principle - I think that it's right we should have one as some people are cut out for it. However, there are those that are not but who make perfectly competent - even outstanding civil servants. Getting on the FS isn't a prerequisite to this.

Also, how the Fast Stream is managed varies too much from department to department.

Thank Your sentiments. Just helps me put things in perspective and helps me out with knowing that FS isnt the be all and end all.

The internal applicant pdf document seems to put folk in my grade off by stating there is no points, so it is a probable fair assessment.

Cheers chaps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Get a proper job in the private sector
    :troll: I am imagining

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flexiblefish)
    not too sure about that. There are many folk below me who have 10-12 years service, and they have all been at the top of their payband for many years without promotion.

I would like to see what are the chances for non-FS to become SCS.
    Have they tried for promotion and failed/are they good enough?

I would like to see what the chances of someone on FS to become SCS :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)

yes, there is quite a bit of animosity in there as there has been lots of external recruitments like me who are younger, less experienced and have got higher grades.

On the second point there are 4200 SCS. and 300 new FS each year. The odds would be interesting.

Might be worth putting in a freedom of information request for routes taken by the SCS. (I of course couldn't do that)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flexiblefish)
    yes, there is quite a bit of animosity in there as there has been lots of external recruitments like me who are younger, less experienced and have got higher grades.

On the second point there are 4200 CSC. and 300 new FS each year. The odds would be interesting.

Might be worth putting in a freedom of information request for routes taken by the CSC. (I of course couldn't do that)
    Fast streamers are notoriously not tracked in any way after they have been assigned so it will only tell you internal vs external which is around 70:30 methinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)

This ^^^

There are many who are quite happy sticking around at one grade/post for many years, so the comparison only becomes relevant in terms of the numbers of FS/nonFS who go for promotions.

Also, lots of people leave the FS for a variety of reasons - many who come off it not on promotion tend to leave the civil service altogether. This could be for things like wanting to settle down, finding that the civil service is not for them or that an opportunity closer to their hearts (research/project placement abroad, job opportunity with a charity etc) comes up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.