Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

banks which offer student account with interest free overdraft to EU students? Watch

ReputationRep:
    so does anyone know any bank which does this ?
    i assume that there are plenty EU students in UK , who are in their second year and have faced this problem before me.
    any information is welcomed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nick90)
    so does anyone know any bank which does this ?
    i assume that there are plenty EU students in UK , who are in their second year and have faced this problem before me.
    any information is welcomed
    Can I ask when you apply to the university if you have to prove you will be self funded? (Am a bit rusty on that to be honest).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natweststaffmember)
    Can I ask when you apply to the university if you have to prove you will be self funded? (Am a bit rusty on that to be honest).
    no, i haven't been asked anything related to this.
    and related to student finance, i have sent the EU9N formular for the tuition fee loan, and i am awaiting for their reply , if this helps

ReputationRep:
    still no answer ?

ReputationRep:
    i'm not a second year, but i've researched on it quite a bit, and have a friend who is in her second year, and also hoped there would be something equal to 'normal" student accounts, but i'm sorry to say, there is no such thing.
    i've seen internatonal student accounts with natwest and hsbc, but clearly uk students get much better conditions with banks.

also, while we're in the same boat it seems:
    my freind got her account wth hsbc, and is really upset, because they've messed up various things on many occasions, and she's very unhappy about their customer service. so i will most likely opt for the natwest international account http://www.natwest.com/personal/curr...-students.ashx for roughly 7 pounds a month.
    or here's hsbc for 6 a month http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/c...IGCe:12c58t1e1
    also barclays offers a international student account as far as i know...
    anyone else care to share additional information?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ta-shi)
    i'm not a second year, but i've researched on it quite a bit, and have a friend who is in her second year, and also hoped there would be something equal to 'normal" student accounts, but i'm sorry to say, there is no such thing.
    i've seen internatonal student accounts with natwest and hsbc, but clearly uk students get much better conditions with banks.

also, while we're in the same boat it seems:
    my freind got her account wth hsbc, and is really upset, because they've messed up various things on many occasions, and she's very unhappy about their customer service. so i will most likely opt for the natwest international account http://www.natwest.com/personal/curr...-students.ashx for roughly 7 pounds a month.
    or here's hsbc for 6 a month http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/c...IGCe:12c58t1e1
    also barclays offers a international student account as far as i know...
    anyone else care to share additional information?
    thank you, very useful

ReputationRep:
    i thought i'd add: NATWEST OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T WANT INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS AS CUSTOMERS!

i went there the other day and they told me, i had to live in student halls, prove that i have a sponsoring company and pay in 10 000 pounds on opening. i thought they were kidding me! it doesn't say ANY of that on their website!
    while everyone says their service is horrible, i'll go to hsbc now.

ReputationRep:
    i thought i'd add: NATWEST OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T WANT INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS AS CUSTOMERS!

i went there the other day and they told me, i had to live in student halls, prove that i have a sponsoring company and pay in 10 000 pounds on opening. i thought they were kidding me! it doesn't say ANY of that on their website!
    while everyone says their service is horrible, i'll go to hsbc now.
    to be perfectly blunt they probably don't want your business due to the significant number of foreign students that disappear after they graduate, go home and make no attempt to pay back what they owe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    to be perfectly blunt they probably don't want your business due to the significant number of foreign students that disappear after they graduate, go home and make no attempt to pay back what they owe.
    well, it's not like they they offer a free overdraft anyway, and honestly, where's the difference about a british or someone else owing them money. i mean, some british person can aswell dissapear, and it's not like i came from the middle of nowhere, they can still come after me easily within the eu (i come from an eu country).
    and then: probably they would really like me to actually invest my money with them, and stick with them when i graduate and earn a lot...
    but yeah, you were perfectly blunt. thank you.
    i actually don't question their reasons, really. i don't care. i just want to warn people not to waste their time applying for an account.

ReputationRep:
    well, it's not like they they offer a free overdraft anyway, and honestly, where's the difference about a british or someone else owing them money. i mean, some british person can aswell dissapear, and it's not like i came from the middle of nowhere, they can still come after me easily within the eu (i come from an eu country).
    and then: probably they would really like me to actually invest my money with them, and stick with them when i graduate and earn a lot...
    but yeah, you were perfectly blunt. thank you.
    i actually don't question their reasons, really. i don't care. i just want to warn people not to waste their time applying for an account.
    a british person can disappear .... but sooner or later that person will be found in the uk or abroad and if they are found abroad ... i presume that the person will be deported back to the uk???
    and i believe its a lot harder to track down a person outside the uk???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeeleon)
    a british person can disappear .... but sooner or later that person will be found in the uk or abroad and if they are found abroad ... i presume that the person will be deported back to the uk???
    and i believe its a lot harder to track down a person outside the uk???
    you're can't really deport a person becuse they have an outstaniding overdraft? which world are you living in?
    and a german person is harder to track down than an uk citizen?
    also international student accounts don't normally have an overdraft, so which money could i owe to whom?
    and isn't the chance of someone going bankrupt much higher (mostly companies, that will owe a lot more money than any student)?
    and if they don't want a certain group of customers then simply do not offer products for them?

ReputationRep:
    and if they don't want a certain group of customers then simply do not offer products for them?

yep.
    That's why international students can't get interest free overdrafts!

ReputationRep:
    It's not about not getting overdrafts... If you don't want international students, say you don't want them at all... Instead of sourcing for the rich ones... Write on your door and website "No international students allowed"... Considering the fact that internationals are paying sometimes twice d amount in fees, and have to pay the full year rent upfront most times, surely they are not all looking to run away with £1500

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.