Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

please keep anon or delete.

Over the past 3 months or so I have had no real friends. I am 15 and at school the odd person will speak to me but outside of school I have no social life. So does anyone know how to make some friends?

*bump*

ReputationRep:
    Try a new hobby.
    Engage in conversation with people. Don't wait for the world to come to you.
    Embark on improving yourself then other people will hop on for the ride.

ReputationRep:
    Ask yourself the question why you have no friend. I made friends the first day i started primary school. i Then made loads of new friends when starting comprehensive. You should have made friends then i think you will have to wait untill colleage because everyone has there own friend groups now.

ReputationRep:
    Very useful advice, Dimyan... not.

Try and walk up to people and just talk to them. Don't be afraid to take the first step.

But don't move too fast either. Friendships develop naturally, over time, and trying to rush them will just ruin your chances. If you seem desperate it will make people run away.

It's a fine balance. Be open and talk to people, but don't ever make it seem like your world will fall apart if they won't be your friends.

ReputationRep:
    People wont come up to you, you need to go and engage them. Spark up a conversation with some new people and see how it goes :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Make an effort instead of being lazy.

ReputationRep:
    Try and talk to the ones your friends with inside school over MSN and stuff. Just make conversation gradually and maybe they'll ask you to go out with them sometime. Or ask them whether they're doing anything one day.

ReputationRep:
    I have no life too.
    try a hobby or volunteering. Do something. a social life will not just pop up by magic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmeem)
    Try and talk to the ones your friends with inside school over MSN and stuff. Just make conversation gradually and maybe they'll ask you to go out with them sometime. Or ask them whether they're doing anything one day.
    But OP has no friends in school...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azhao)
    But OP has no friends in school...
    He said the odd person will talk to him inside school, and that he has no friends outside school. I'm assuming he must know at least one person at school. It's impossible to not have any friends at all anywhere

well thanks for some of that feedback, I will try a bit harder, but one of the problems I have with quite a few people is that I have lost friends because i have problems with my temper which doesn't always help.

if you have any other interests such as music or sports join the school band or sports team. some of the best friends i made in school was people i played in the basketball team with

(Original post by Dr Zeuss™)
    if you have any other interests such as music or sports join the school band or sports team. some of the best friends i made in school was people i played in the basketball team with
    well I do play for a football team, but I don't really get along with them anymore, i am currently trying to join a new one, but I don't actually know any of them.

ReputationRep:
    I can think of a few things:

- find a new hobby
    - join a forum on the internet and chat with people there
    - chat with people on MSN

The second two would improve your social skills, since IMO people who lack friends also lack social skills. it has nothing to do with how nice a person you are, since nobody really is unlikeable. There is always somebody who would respect another for who they are.

So just chat to people, and be open and friendly.

ReputationRep:
    Lower your standards. Although I'm 20 and I only really have one good IRL friend. My advice isn't really great.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be your friend.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.