Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am moving to Durham with my OH so am looking for a recommendation for a town or village to rent a house. If anyone has any good recommendations I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

Es

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pick)
    Hi,

I am moving to Durham with my OH so am looking for a recommendation for a town or village to rent a house. If anyone has any good recommendations I'd be grateful
    Are you willing to consider the entire County Durham area (as it's rather large and with much of it being semi-rural public transport isn't always fantastic).

Within easy distance (less that two miles) from the city centre then there's Pity Me/Newton Hall Estate. Pity Me is a former mining village that's right on the doorstep of the city. It has the Newton Hall Estate (once the largest private housing estate in Europe I think). Newton Hall is usually where a number of mature students go especially those with young families. I think you're probably looking at about £50 - £60 a week for rent there.

There's also Langley Moor a couple of miles south west of the city. This is a fairly popular student area and rents will probably be about £55 a week each.

Witton Gilbert may be worth looking at. It's a very small village and three miles to the north west. However, it's probably the most inexpensive area you'll find.

If you don't mind travelling further away then there's Lanchester which is a pleasent, quiet village. It certainly was the last time I was there. But it's a reasonable distance away (about eight miles?) with a decent bus service but nothing spectacular. Being a village (albeit a decent size one) properties for rent will be limited.

Maybe Chester-le-Street too. Chester-le-street is just 15 or so minutes away by bus and it's also on the East Coast Mainline (in between Newcastle and Durham) so you can get the train. However, only certain trains stop at Chester-le-Street. But it's a town of its own right and not a student area. This is appeal but it also means that I don't really know where the rented properties typically are. All in all Chester-le-Street isn't a bad place. It has some very wealthy pockets but also some....less wealthy areas. I don't know how realistic finding a decent place to rent will be.

Maybe even Darlington is worth looking at as it's also on the East Coast Mainline, so Durham's the next stop (20 minutes or so) northwards.

Personally, although I don't know your siutation and finances, Newton Hall, Langley Moor and Witton Gilbert are probably three good options if you want to be fairly close to the city.

There is this document. It lists the typical students areas (those in and just outside the city)

http://dunelm.files.wordpress.com/20...areas-info.pdf

ReputationRep:
    hey, i wouldnt opt for lanchester unless you have a really big budget for rent. im from the vilalge next to it and its a rather expensive place. id say about 400-500 at the least for rent. alot of my freinds live there and the houses are lovely - but downside is that they are expensive. the bus service to durham is every half hour and for a day pass costs around 4 pounds. theres a small restaraunt and about 3 local pubs. theres a post office, spar and 3 hairdressers, and 2 churches and thats about it.

chesterlee street is probably a good choice. theres a tesco store, a local market, some decent shops such as dorthy perkins and boots e.c.t and several pubs and restaraunts. the bus services are also very good there.

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Shincliffe is nice.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, they are very useful to me as I don't know co Durham and I will need to pick somewhere with not much local info.

None of the distances listed sound too bad at all, I commute 23 x 2 daily to get to work at present so even 10 miles would be great for me!

I am going to check out the towns and villages named as possibilities. I don't mind a quiet village as I live in the country just now and we only have a farm shop locally so even a few shops would be ok. I am glad to have been given these pointers as it's hard to pick a place by random.

Thanks to all,

Es

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed quite a few postgrads and university staff seem to live in Bowburn; there's a free bus, for Durham students, which takes about 5 minutes to get into the city. It is rather run-down though, and there isn't a great deal at all in terms of facilities and amenities. It looks just like a typical ex-mining village.

"Welcome to Bowburn; please set your watches back 35 years."

ReputationRep:
    Yo be honest there is only about 30 minutes travel time from anywhere to Durham so you could look in a wider area. Seaham for example, is on the coast if you like bracing walks. It has a small town centre and a big Asda but not much else! It's only 10 minutes from Sunderland though and there are trains to Newcastle as well.

The only other town is Peterlee, which has a half hourly bus service to Durham. Rents in Seaham and Peterlee run at around £350-400 per calendar month for a house. Peterlee is far more modern than Seaham but has a dire town centre which is dying the death. At least Seaham has a beach, Peterlee has a Dene, a huge carbuncle of a college and a monstrous Pavilion. Obviously the town planners work on the principle of the bigger, the better!

The vast majority of the rest of County Durham is just former pit villages with few facilities. My money would be on either Seaham, Peterlee, Houghton le Spring or any of the larger towns mentioned in previous posts.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for Lanchester, or Sedgefield

ReputationRep:
    Sedgefield! Tony Blair's old stomping ground, I have no idea what it's like but am going to co Durham soon for a big reccy so I will include that and Bowburn too.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a reason why you won't live in Durham itself? I'm just curious.

This time of year there are still some houses left that the landlords will be desperate to rent, so might be able to find a nice one for cheap.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Oh no, I'd love to live in Durham! I'm not sure if I could afford to. I have a house here with a mortgage and it's not proving as easy to sell as it would have been last year when I applied. The upshot is that it may be that we have to pay the mortgage here if we can't get it let/sold and pay rent in Durham.

Beginning to wish I had a deferment for a year tbh.

Es

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure that there will be places in Gilesgate up near Tescos still for rent - and it's very cheap to rent up there even if you're looking in the "rush" period for student housing in January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pick)
    Sedgefield! Tony Blair's old stomping ground, I have no idea what it's like but am going to co Durham soon for a big reccy so I will include that and Bowburn too.
    Well there is nowt in Sedgefield to be honest. A bit of grass, a few houses and pubs and a couple of shops. More of a passing through place than a staying-in place. God only knows why Tony Blair took the American President there! I would have thought that Durham had more interest.

ReputationRep:
    Sedgefield's nice enough, plus students can get the bus free into Durham from there :top: And it has a huge meat store, which I hear is pretty good :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Is the meat shop Bowlem's? It stinks!!

Anyway, I'd probably be inclined to move as close to the city as I could. When it's pissing down with slush in the middle of November and you've got loads of essays due, it might be a chore getting into lectures/to the library if you are relying on busses and of course, the further out you are, the harder it will be to get home at night if you're out and about in town.

Gilesgate and Neville's Cross should have some cheap rooms available

ReputationRep:
    If you drive I'd suggest somewhere in Weardale, I grew up there and even though my Dad lives right at the top of the dale it's only about 35 mins in the car to Durham city centre. Although my Dad does know all of the back roads, if you follow the main roads it'll take a bit longer. But somewhere like Wolsingham wouldn't take too long to get to Durham. To some people it's really out in the sticks but if you're used to living in the country you'll find it well positioned with a good selection of shops, pubs, tea rooms etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinglepupskye)
    The only other town is Peterlee, which has a half hourly bus service to Durham. Rents in Seaham and Peterlee run at around £350-400 per calendar month for a house. Peterlee is far more modern than Seaham but has a dire town centre which is dying the death. At least Seaham has a beach, Peterlee has a Dene, a huge carbuncle of a college and a monstrous Pavilion. Obviously the town planners work on the principle of the bigger, the better!

The vast majority of the rest of County Durham is just former pit villages with few facilities. My money would be on either Seaham, Peterlee, Houghton le Spring or any of the larger towns mentioned in previous posts.
    Yeah, just look at Peterlee's christmas tree last year. Houghton's ok, just avoid the main bus stop after dark...:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atrixa)
    Yeah, just look at Peterlee's christmas tree last year. Houghton's ok, just avoid the main bus stop after dark...:yep:
    Yeah! But look at the free publicity they got! If I was on the Town Council I would be laughing my socks off.

Funnily enough I don't think anyone has mentioned Washington as that is in the area. It has a reasonable town centre.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! But look at the free publicity they got! If I was on the Town Council I would be laughing my socks off.

Funnily enough I don't think anyone has mentioned Washington as that is in the area. It has a reasonable town centre.
    Well, I live there and A) it's a bit too far to travel, unless you have a car, and B) it's mostly a ********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pick)
    Sedgefield is boring (trust me I live there). Pubs are dead there nowadays and there's nothing much else to do. Mostly made up of families and old people and you'll be paying quite a lot for rent too as it's not geared towards students at all. Depending what you want the rent will range from £400 (1 bedroom flat) to £1000 (decent sized house) a month not including bills. That saying it is on a direct bus route. The X1 takes around 20mins to get into Durham.

Well there is nowt in Sedgefield to be honest. A bit of grass, a few houses and pubs and a couple of shops. More of a passing through place than a staying-in place. God only knows why Tony Blair took the American President there! I would have thought that Durham had more interest.
    Because it was in his constituency and it's 100x nicer than Trimdon :P

(Original post by Edenr)
    Sedgefield's nice enough, plus students can get the bus free into Durham from there :top: And it has a huge meat store, which I hear is pretty good :coma:
    Bolams! It is good

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.