Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Let's leave the friend in question nameless. But anyway, he's been on holiday recently and met a girl there - she's a year older than him. They made out on this first meeting and now he's completely head over heels about her! I know that on their actual first 'date' they did a lot more, but he wouldn't tell me if that meant all the way.

The thing is, he doesn't accept that it's just a sexual thing. If I try to tell him that things are happening much too quickly for it actually to be a meaningful relationship with long term prospects, he claims that it's 'true love' and that I shouldn't doubt it like that. In my opinion though, there's no way that it can be 'true love' if they've only known each other for a couple of days, no matter how much time they've spent with each other in that time span! Love is something that develops over months, to the extent that you become completely at home with one another, can talk about everything, care deeply about them because you not only know them as people but feel as if you're not tackling life on your own but together. I fear that either she's taking him for a ride, or they're both as deluded as each other.

Oh, and one more thing. They met in Austria. He lives here in London, she lives in Spain. In fact, she has already left. And still he thinks it can work.

Am I right to be cynical? Or is it, like he says, true love? Bear in mind he's 16 and in no position to be jetting off to Spain all the time.

:lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of love at first sight?
    Secondly, leave it outs its none of your business.
    Yea it is naive for him to think that. I have a GF in the UK and i went on holiday, met an Italian girl and we made out and i did/do really like her physically (shes gorgeous) and we get on really well. Shes also older (21, im 18).
    But now im back, i'm not stupid and think we will get together or anything, its just not gonna happen.
    Best to just leave him to it tbh, he will soon get bored of not being able to see or talk to her.

ReputationRep:
    If she is taking him for a ride then he'll figure it out soon enough, love at first sight does happen regardless of age. It'll most likely fizzle out in the next few weeks (if it even goes that far) if not then maybe there is something in it and you should support your friend

ReputationRep:
    The first one's always the one that hits you hardest. He will probably get heartbroken, and it will make him learn a thing or two about what love feels like.

I'd just say you're there for him if he needs it, and then leave it all up to him. Give your advice, but don't pressurise =]

ReputationRep:
    ^^i personally wouldnt even give him my advice as it will likely just annoy him. Give it if he asks for it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.