Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the oldest (realisticly speaking) you can be to start motor racing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    and there is the problem in your argument :p:

you're comparing a flight sim to a racing sim. As lara and i have said, in racing sims you can buy wheels with force feedback. Force feedback is basically giving you feedback on the forces acting on the steering rack (correct me if i'm wrong something) meaning you feel the car slide, you feel the bumps in the road, you feel the kerbs etc etc
    It's still not the same. You can buy force feedback yokes/throttle quadrants/rudder pedals etc. They can kick all they like but you still don't get the feeling in your stomach, or the G's etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    You should know I'm not insulting those who use simulators, I'm only questionning the rationale of people who think that they could step out of the NSX on GT4 and jump into one in real life and even get close to the same time.

As for the physics, although they may be perfect, they never apply in the same way. I'll bring flying an airplane into the equation again. In the simulator, everything is modelled correctly. In a stall for example, the plane will stall at the same airspeed/attitude etc as it would in real life. But in the simulator you don't get that weird little feeling you get in real life that tells you the plane is about to stall. If I shut my eyes in a simulator and tried to keep the plane up you'd have no chance. If you tried it in an airplane, within reason you can feel what's going on. To me that 'feeling' is the important part of what you're doing.

I must admit beyond gran turismo I'm not knowledagble of racing sims, although I've used a fair few flight sims. The amount of detail is impressive (from switching on passenger lights to changing the air conditioning in the cockpit etc) but you just don't get the same feeling at all.

As for it being the 'closest thing to racing,' rather than putting a few thousand away to build a simulator rig I'd put it towards an old touring car or something. I realise simulators can be competitive but to me it's only in the same way you're competitive on Call of Duty 4.

Like I said though I don't begrudge people for using them and can understand the appeal. But for me the whole appeal is actually sitting in the car/plane, revving the engine, feeling that little rumble go up your arse and having a micro-orgasm.
    point taken, and i agree, it cannot completely replicate real racing in that sense only real racing will do. racing may be different to flying though, in the respect that all of the crucial ingrediants needed (or wanted) for racing are there. theres nothing a real racing drive has to do that you dont have to do on the track in a racing sim. if you make the same mistake, the racing consequences will be the same, for instance, say you go into a chicane too quickly and you get a bad exit, im talking only tenths of a second, the guy right behind you has a chance to get that bit closer and slipstream you for the inside line at the next corner where he has a good chance of taking the position.

all aspects of real racing that you need are there, and thats the appeal for me and abc...xyz im guessing. plus, if you do have a bad race, you only have to disconnect and rejoin another server or respawn if you are allowed in the pit lane. so it has those benefits aswell which arent available in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    It's still not the same. You can buy force feedback yokes/throttle quadrants/rudder pedals etc. They can kick all they like but you still don't get the feeling in your stomach, or the G's etc etc.
    true however you're still comparing it to flying a plane as opposed to driving a car. I'm no expert on flying but i assume when your plane stalls you drop a bit in the sky? if that is the case then of course you're going to feel something in your stomach and Gs which cannot be replicated at home. However if you're racing, there are other experiences to skidding, but one of those is replicated in force feedback which helps a huge amount. Race sims and real racing will never fully be the same however race sims offer more than flight sims in terms of what can be physically felt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    point taken, and i agree, it cannot completely replicate real racing in that sense only real racing will do. racing may be different to flying though, in the respect that all of the crucial ingrediants needed (or wanted) for racing are there. theres nothing a real racing drive has to do that you dont have to do on the track in a racing sim. if you make the same mistake, the racing consequences will be the same, for instance, say you go into a chicane too quickly and you get a bad exit, im talking only tenths of a second, the guy right behind you has a chance to get that bit closer and slipstream you for the inside line at the next corner where he has a good chance of taking the position.

all aspects of real racing that you need are there, and thats the appeal for me and abc...xyz im guessing. plus, if you do have a bad race, you only have to disconnect and rejoin another server or respawn if you are allowed in the pit lane. so it has those benefits aswell which arent available in the real world.
    Yeah I know what you mean. Like I said I can understand the appeal and do not begrudge people using them.

My only issue is when some 17 year old whizzkid slams his dad's Impreza into a wall because thanks to GT4 he knows how to powerslide :rolleyes: There must a a fair few about within the online community who think like that haha.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know what you mean. Like I said I can understand the appeal and do not begrudge people using them.

My only issue is when some 17 year old whizzkid slams his dad's Impreza into a wall because thanks to GT4 he knows how to powerslide :rolleyes: There must a a fair few about within the online community who think like that haha.
    i cant say i totally agree with that simply because if they can powerslide to good effect in a racing sim then they will have a good understanding of vehicle dynamics and appreciation of physics :p: so i dont think they would be that stupid.

its kids playing need for speed and gran turismo that may have that problem though!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.