Turn on thread page Beta

Family has a problem with my conversion watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99p And A Flake)
    (they don't ever let you leave you know, not even becoming an atheist makes you un-Catholic :P) because of the hypocrisy and greed of it all.
    Rubbish. Depends very much on the parish. But pretty much the Catholic teaching (I paraphrase) is that you are free to turn away from the Church and God - that is what God gave free-will for.

True that once a Catholic always a Catholic - you were baptised into the Catholic Church and therefore have received the mark of Christ, God looks on you and sees His only Son, no matter what you do. You are still entitled to all the sacraments of the Catholic Church even if you only demand one on your deathbed.

Sensible, traditional-minded Catholics like myself will remember this Dogma and Doctrine and accept its your choice. The people who "never let you leave" are to be pitied.

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

Why are people using this thread to trash the Catholic Church? This isn't the Debate board.

At the end of the day, the OP has studied it and spoken to a number of people, and this is what she FEELS is right for her. So who the deuce is anyone else to say what's right for her?

To address some points raised that were used to flame the OP who was in fact seeking support:

Racism includes the unfavourable treatment of someone due to their religion.

It's up to an individual if they choose not to use contraceptives or abortion.

The Queen and The Pope are in two very different positions. The Queen is the head of monarchy in Great Britain, chosen due to her family lineage; The Pope is the head of the Catholic Church, chosen by the highest people in the Church, people who have studied theology, been ordained, worked as Priests for many, many years. I should add that jtanz0 was correct in saying that The Queen doesn't really have any bearing on CofE, it's really run by the Archbishop of Canterbury who has earnt his position as head of the Anglican Church.

Anything else you want to say about the Catholic Church, PM me, don't harrass this poor woman.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to those that did offer decent advice here

I've not been brainwashed, and if it sounded as such, it was unintentional. Yes, I've had bad experiences with contraception and I don't believe in abortion - but I respect the decision of others to consider these options. They're not something I'd go for myself though.

With the head of the Church; the Queen makes a point not to involve herself in Politics, but she still remains to be praised in an Anglican service, in intercessional prayers. As the above poster said, the Pope is elected by theologians and experienced priests, and the Archbishop of Canterbury is placed in the post by the Queen - no electoral process among the Anglican clergy. The Queen remains Head of the C of E and this does provide considerable influence over the church set up and running. She does gain some monetary gains, and is an everlasting reminder of how far Henry VIII went for his own gains. She hasn't apologised on behalf of the monarchy for the violence and oppressive tactics used by royalist agents in the 16th century to completely restrict a persons view to that of the state. Yes, it may have been nearly 400 years ago, but the moral point reminds firm.

I also explained the racism point - please look back and you will see this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccielatte)
    Thanks to those that did offer decent advice here

I've not been brainwashed, and if it sounded as such, it was unintentional. Yes, I've had bad experiences with contraception and I don't believe in abortion - but I respect the decision of others to consider these options. They're not something I'd go for myself though.

With the head of the Church; the Queen makes a point not to involve herself in Politics, but she still remains to be praised in an Anglican service, in intercessional prayers. As the above poster said, the Pope is elected by theologians and experienced priests, and the Archbishop of Canterbury is placed in the post by the Queen - no electoral process among the Anglican clergy. The Queen remains Head of the C of E and this does provide considerable influence over the church set up and running. She does gain some monetary gains, and is an everlasting reminder of how far Henry VIII went for his own gains. She hasn't apologised on behalf of the monarchy for the violence and oppressive tactics used by royalist agents in the 16th century to completely restrict a persons view to that of the state. Yes, it may have been nearly 400 years ago, but the moral point reminds firm.

I also explained the racism point - please look back and you will see this!
    Well said.

Did you speak to your friend today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTVicky)
    Well said.

Did you speak to your friend today?
    I did try to... But we were at a BBQ and both got more than slightly drunk!
    :o:

I can't actually remember if I said anything or not about Mum, but she herself converted from RC to C of E when she was 11 and didn't dissuade me or anything!

ReputationRep:
    Religion is in no way as important as family.
    Also if you're looking for historical moral imperatives, Catholicism has been responsible for more torture & death throughout human history than the holocaust.
    Finding a way to live your life through morals and your own convictions is the hard but worthy thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Ayla Phoenix] No religion is without stain. [QUOTE]

The Catholics and the C of E stain Christianity. Originally Christians were based on the Bible. Catholics added to the Bible and instituted crusades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrt23498)
    The Catholics and the C of E stain Christianity. Originally Christians were based on the Bible. Catholics added to the Bible and instituted crusades.
    And the bible is an amalgamation of stories told by different cults from Iraq's ancient past. Agriculture lead to towns, towns lead to language, language lead to ideologies.

The whole concept of religion is a control method used to cede power from the individuals of society to the collective control of the priesthood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox-ii)
    The whole concept of religion is a control method used to cede power from the individuals of society to the collective control of the priesthood.
    I do not believe a "priesthood" shoul exist, as this suggests you need a human priest between us a and God. Priest = Meditator between humans and God

ReputationRep:
    The 'priesthood' is just a generic term for any small collective that takes control of a society in the name of an abstract ideology. The point is that organised religion is a crock of ****.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.