Turn on thread page Beta

Epilating watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips or secrets to make epilating any less painful?

ReputationRep:
    I've never epilated myself, but my friend said she waxes, then uses a loofah or something like that
    I'm sorry, I havent been much help :/

ReputationRep:
    Use some kind of gel (if you don't already). If I'm not mistaken, it's the same thing with facial hair... if I don't shave for a day and then try and do it the day after, it feels really rough and a bit painful to shave. I end up having to use shaving gel, whereas if I do it every day I can just do it with water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanya-ED)
    I've never epilated myself, but my friend said she waxes, then uses a loofah or something like that
    I'm sorry, I havent been much help :/
    I think you are refering to exfoliating there sweetheart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ßlαcksωαn)
    I think you are refering to exfoliating there sweetheart
    Aha, oh dear. Sorry about that

ReputationRep:
    yeah the person saying about using gel, don't listen to them! make sure your legs don't have gel or water on them - i cut my legs from epilating doing that :/
    umm, i can't really think of any ways - it really does hurt less the more you do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosaaa)
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips or secrets to make epilating any less painful?

Buy a decent epilator, one of those ones that prepares the skin first and is a bit more gentle. Failing that apply an ice pack or something really cold to the area beforehand to numb it a bit.

ReputationRep:
    My old epilator had some form of ice pack on it. I never used it, but it was there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurahhz)
    yeah the person saying about using gel, don't listen to them! make sure your legs don't have gel or water on them - i cut my legs from epilating doing that :/
    umm, i can't really think of any ways - it really does hurt less the more you do it.
    Wooops... obviously a bit different to how I imagined it then :P But I'm sure the whole doing it more often thing still applies, as it does with facial hair.

ReputationRep:
    It gets less painful the more you use it I find. You could take painkillers?

ReputationRep:
    Ingrown hairs can be more of a problem with epilating, so exfoliating the skin the day before you epilate helps reduce them and also means more hair is epliated. Also, epilators don't always get all of the hairs in the first go but practise helps. The more you do it, the less painful it gets - like plucking your eyebrows

ReputationRep:
    Oh, oh, don't.
    The whole time it's just 'oh-god-make-the-pain-stop-it's-so-awful-auggghhhhh'
    Although, to be more constructive, you can buy some hair thinning creams that supposedly work to make the hair follicle less thick, and thus cause less pain.
    Either way, it's going to hurt like a mother ucka

ReputationRep:
    Pull the skin taut when you do it - makes a world of difference. And make sure you exfoliate really well in between sessions as epilating can lead to ingrown hairs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    Wooops... obviously a bit different to how I imagined it then :P But I'm sure the whole doing it more often thing still applies, as it does with facial hair.
    Doing it regularly doesnt make it less painful it just is, you get used to it, on average once a week is normal. And its totally different to what youre describing, you need longer hair for all forms of hair removal elsewhere on the body to be less painful. Lol but obviously you wouldnt know that being male.

This thread actually has good epilating tips http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=955067

ReputationRep:
    I think it's meant to get less painful each time you do it. Still, I don't find it that unbearable to begin with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Lol but obviously you wouldnt know that being male.
    Oi, I may be male but I'm not stupid :P But you are quite right, I am not female.

So, with epilating, if you don't leave it long enough it will hurt more? I.e. trying to remove short hair is more painful? It's the opposite for me =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    Oi, I may be male but I'm not stupid :P But you are quite right, I am not female.

So, with epilating, if you don't leave it long enough it will hurt more? I.e. trying to remove short hair is more painful? It's the opposite for me =/
    I wasnt inferring you were stupid I was just trying to explain that its different for the other gender and that the reason you wouldnt know is obvious. Sorry if it seemed like i was being mean I really wasnt.

ReputationRep:
    have a hot bath before!

ReputationRep:
    does it hurt any more than waxing? i find waxing fine but i dont wanna fork out for an epilator if it's really painful...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by millyyy)
    have a hot bath before!
    This, it makes it easier for the hairs to come out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2009
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.