Should I be doing this :s
    Ahhhhh ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    What is Epilating?
    Should I be doing this :s
    Ahhhhh ?
    Have you used Google before?

Epilating is a form of hair removal - an alternative to shaving/creams/waxing etc. Its like tweezing the hairs out using a small appliance.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Pull the skin taut. You could use an ice pack but personally I find it makes my skin hurt lol (too cold)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Have you used Google before?

Epilating is a form of hair removal - an alternative to shaving/creams/waxing etc. Its like tweezing the hairs out using a small appliance.
    Lovely, thanks, you are better than google, saved me the effort of typing it in

ReputationRep:
    I tried epilating today! But i got massive red spots on my legs where I'd done it!

That happened to me 2 weeks ago when I waxed for the 1st time, but I figured I was just allergic to the wax. But the exact same thing's happened just now, so does this mean my skin's reacting to having the hairs pulled out? Will I not be able to use any kind of hair removal that pulls out the hairs from the roots?

ReputationRep:
    Eplilation is painful! i cant use mine cos i ended up near in tears. Pull skin tight and maybe take aspirin about 30 mins before you do it. Some people do this before waxing. Waxing is much less painful. Take a hot bath to help open the pores. And you can cool the skin with an ice pack to help numb it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    I tried epilating today! But i got massive red spots on my legs where I'd done it!

That happened to me 2 weeks ago when I waxed for the 1st time, but I figured I was just allergic to the wax. But the exact same thing's happened just now, so does this mean my skin's reacting to having the hairs pulled out? Will I not be able to use any kind of hair removal that pulls out the hairs from the roots?
    Its normal my legs go well red when I epilate goes down within a day though, just goes red through the trauma of having hair ripped out lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)

Did you not notice the redness went down after waxing? Its a common reaction to all root-based hair removal.

ReputationRep:
    Do it often.. It hurts much less each time you do it.

And my little panflet of epilation says that you can take a bath/shower beforehand to soften the skin. People have also told me to use ice to numb the pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forever_dreamer)
    Ingrown hairs can be more of a problem with epilating, so exfoliating the skin the day before you epilate helps reduce them and also means more hair is epliated. Also, epilators don't always get all of the hairs in the first go but practise helps. The more you do it, the less painful it gets - like plucking your eyebrows
    :eek: does epilating give you in-grown hairs?!! :O
    I was thinking of using it on my face!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    :eek: does epilating give you in-grown hairs?!! :O
    I was thinking of using it on my face!
    Um, dunno bout face but it can do with legs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Did you not notice the redness went down after waxing? Its a common reaction to all root-based hair removal.
    Yes, but I had massive wart-like swellings all over my legs, not just a little bit of redness!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.