Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    As a non-professional (hence my opinion is worthless :P), I would be more worried about 3000% returns than 15% returns because it sort of implies you took massive risks. If you understand that and can justify it as "well the only way you win these games is by taking massive risks" then I guess it works, but on the spreadbetting threads and everything people don't seem to understand that they're actually taking risk (BUT BUT BUT I HAVE A STOP LOSS) and I get the feeling that for every applicant who understands the risk behind 3000% returns there are 10 who don't..
    O yea, I definitely agree with you. I meant in more of an eye catching way that could get the convo going and it would help you turn it into a casual conversation rather than an interview, which always acts in your favor.

The problem is that even though a 15% return is impressive if its consistent, its not if its only over a couple months/few years, and thats how the interviewer will see it. I guess Im just skeptical of a 19/20 year old being able to make a case for consistency.

ReputationRep:
    if someone has a 3000% return, I want to interview him/her.

(Original post by texex)
    Yea but u had an amazing rate of return (3000%+ if I remember??, which definitely stands out even if it was just punting and so I would think it is completely different from getting a 15% return.
    Using the leverage button, wowee. Just because everyone else is an idiot doesn't make you a champ. There's a war for talent because it's a pack of utter chumpy gimps that make up the hiring pool.

No one really survives my grillings, ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rboogie)
    if someone has a 3000% return, I want to interview him/her.
    That was in a non-real money game with leverage allowed.

If people were genuinely impressed with that, I would have found a way around the one account per person limit, set up about 16 or so, just gone all in on one trade with half of them on one side, half on another, repeat with the winners and so on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    That was in a non-real money game with leverage allowed.

If people were genuinely impressed with that, I would have found a way around the one account per person limit, set up about 16 or so, just gone all in on one trade with half of them on one side, half on another, repeat with the winners and so on...

Well, not as interesting. fail.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so from what I gather if your fund was simply some 'puntathon' as some seem to suggest its not worth including. However, what if you went out of your way to read every 10k/10Q on the companies you invested in, built DCF models and carried out a good deal of analysis on these companies and can justify all of your security selections? I had no luck getting a summer internship this summer via the traditional route, however I built a pretty good DCF model on one of my current holdings and sent it off with my CV to a numbr of boutique asset management firms and I managed to land a summer internship. As for getting grilled over your portfolio, I would much rather GET to the interview stage and get absolutely destroyed by some interviewer then simply see my CV thrown into the bin after a 30 second glance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianGretzky99)
    Ok, so from what I gather if your fund was simply some 'puntathon' as some seem to suggest its not worth including. However, what if you went out of your way to read every 10k/10Q on the companies you invested in, built DCF models and carried out a good deal of analysis on these companies and can justify all of your security selections? I had no luck getting a summer internship this summer via the traditional route, however I built a pretty good DCF model on one of my current holdings and sent it off with my CV to a numbr of boutique asset management firms and I managed to land a summer internship. As for getting grilled over your portfolio, I would much rather GET to the interview stage and get absolutely destroyed by some interviewer then simply see my CV thrown into the bin after a 30 second glance.
    Yes, this is a great way to land a job - that DCF is a good idea - given that some senior analysts STILL struggle with the DCF

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this is a great way to land a job - that DCF is a good idea - given that some senior analysts STILL struggle with the DCF
    Couldn't agree more. We get so many CVs. You either have to have top academics (Oxbridge, perfect A-level scores) or something to make us want to get you in for interview. Knowing how to talk about a DCF, how tax rates impact earnings, how working capital impacts cash conversion and more importantly how to show a good methodology of thinking is important and will get you far at interview. A large part of equity research is your methodology and how well you can justify your assumptions given that is what you use most of the time. Forecasting assumptions and valuation assumptions to put a value on the equity.

ReputationRep:
    I know what an IBD, S&T, PWM and other abbreviations but what is a BB?? Is it a big bank or what?? Not to sound silly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:excel4100%:.)
    I know what an IBD, S&T, PWM and other abbreviations but what is a BB?? Is it a big bank or what?? Not to sound silly...
    Bulge Bracket banks. Although it is debatable which are BB's, I think most people use the term just to describe the top few (ie GS, MS, ML, DB, CS, UBS)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)
    Bulge Bracket banks. Although it is debatable which are BB's, I think most people use the term just to describe the top few (ie GS, MS, ML, DB, CS, UBS)
    Thanks a lot mate.....+rep

ReputationRep:
    Ouch mate, your lead must be making you work v. hard.

I refuse to get in before 7, and generally leave by 6. When I'm writing a note, I put in some later hours or doss around a bit on the weekend, but generally, no more than 55 hrs per week.
    Make it 10pm this week. I'm planning to work at the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody87)
    Couldn't agree more. We get so many CVs. You either have to have top academics (Oxbridge, perfect A-level scores) or something to make us want to get you in for interview. Knowing how to talk about a DCF, how tax rates impact earnings, how working capital impacts cash conversion and more importantly how to show a good methodology of thinking is important and will get you far at interview. A large part of equity research is your methodology and how well you can justify your assumptions given that is what you use most of the time. Forecasting assumptions and valuation assumptions to put a value on the equity.
    Wow, that's some very interesting and useful information. Like Brian, I also was unable to get an equity research internship through the traditional route (hell, I didn't even get any interviews with the BBs/MMs). However, I found my solution in a similar fashion to Brian: after I started sending out a DCF model I made attached to the cold emails I sent out to boutique asset managers and independent ER shops, I got a much better response rate.

ReputationRep:
    I guess this begs the question, if you did not go to oxbridge and do 3 internships at Goldman what is the best strategy for getting your CV looked at? What would someone in HR think if they received a CV with a full scale DCF model on it haha. I guess without inside connections its tough to get to that interview stage otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oblivious)
    Make it 10pm this week. I'm planning to work at the weekend.

god, sucks to be a junior.

ReputationRep:

No ways, hard to believe that some analysts can have trouble with DCFs. Do you mean through excel or conceptually?

Talking about himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Talking about himself.

lol k

ReputationRep:
    lolz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortfolioManager)
    No ways, hard to believe that some analysts can have trouble with DCFs. Do you mean through excel or conceptually?

excel

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.