Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So at home from uni I've only really got the one mate as everyone from schools sadly grown apart and its v awkward and its making summer wellll boring!

I've been invited out tonight for an old friend from baby school's bday and as pathetic as this sounds I want to become part of this group and get included every other week rather than just once a year, I don't expect to become bessy mates with anyone as I haven't seen these people in ages and probably don't know most of them but I'd like to be remembered to be invited out again.

Apart from the obvious don't be a **** and embarrass yourself any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Don't talk about having no friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Don't talk about having no friends.
    Lol hadn't thought of that one, was thinking of just crying into my VK moaning about being lonely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    So at home from uni I've only really got the one mate as everyone from schools sadly grown apart and its v awkward and its making summer wellll boring!

I've been invited out tonight for an old friend from baby school's bday and as pathetic as this sounds I want to become part of this group and get included every other week rather than just once a year, I don't expect to become bessy mates with anyone as I haven't seen these people in ages and probably don't know most of them but I'd like to be remembered to be invited out again.

Apart from the obvious don't be a **** and embarrass yourself any advice?
    Just mingle the people and you might even find someone who's got the same interests as you :yep: If your nervous about that, just have a few drinks before hand but make sure you don't drink too much and end up going completely wild!

Enjoy yourself and have fun!

ReputationRep:
    Try not to stay quiet for too long like you're an outsider..Participating in conversations (in a good way obviously) leaves a good impression imo...Have fun :smile:

ReputationRep:
    Show interest That's the main thing when you want to be remembered.
    Finding common interests and arranging things will keep you in contact
    Actually probably the biggest thing... Have a good time, don't sit there bored/fed up/silent. Join in and MAKE it a good time

Hope you have a good night x

ReputationRep:
    Ask people if they want to do [activity]. E.g. Does anyone fancy a drink/coming to the dancefloor/going outside for some air... people will either say yes or no, and if they say yes, you have one more thing in common with them, and they will notice it =]

ReputationRep:
    You can mention having nothing to do this summer. Most people don't - it wont make you seem pathetic at all. Just normal interaction should get the job done really. These things cant really be forced.

ReputationRep:
    Work the floor. Go round once, say hi and banter a bit with everyone. Then come back round and spend longer talking with people. Have fun.

ReputationRep:
    Be friendly and chatty to all of them rather than just the first 1 or 2 you immediately click with. Dont get so drunk that you aren't in control of what you say anymore! Get their phone numbers and at the end of the night say you had fun and should do it again etc etc. Also facebook them, if they always make their outings 'events' on there they might invite you on there in future. Good luck friend making

ReputationRep:
    Smile lots!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.