Turn on thread page Beta

how did you respond after your partner first said "I love you"? watch

Announcements

I dumped her for being too clingy.

Oh, I freaked out. I think I said something like "No you don't. You can't. Don't be ridiculous" :moon:

ReputationRep:
    i said "i love you too" although it was over text and it took us ages to say it to each other face to face.
    and then he said it to me first face to face and i was well freaked out,but then calmed down and told him i loved him to. which i did.
    it took me absolutely aggggess to get over him when we spilt up,that's how i know i loved him

ReputationRep:
    "I KNEW IT!!!" and ran around in triumph.

ReputationRep:
    i couldnt stop smiling for like a week solid

told it to him back too though obviously!

ReputationRep:
    He said it the day we started going out, we'd been saying it over the internet for ages, but kind of more like friends and it was the first time he'd ever said it properly to me IRL while we were hugging. I just kind of froze for a second with my heart beating really fast, and then whispered it back oh-so-quietly. I didn't even realise that he'd heard me for ages afterwards, but i was glad he did

ReputationRep:
    What if we haven't had a partner that has said I love you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    What if we haven't had a partner that has said I love you?
    don't post on the thread?

This thread makes me feel a lot better about waiting before having any serious relationships. You folks are so awkward and fickle about love. Young people are just out of their depth when it comes to this sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    don't post on the thread?
    Same thing goes to you, since you didn't answer the question of the thread either...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This thread makes me feel a lot better about waiting before having any serious relationships. You folks are so awkward and fickle about love. Young people are just out of their depth when it comes to this sort of thing.
    But perhaps afraid of our scorn if you weren't anonymous?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    Same thing goes to you, since you didn't answer the question of the thread either...
    O RLY!!1!1!1!1

(Original post by there's too much love)
    I remember when one ex said it, after a whole THREE DAYS of a relationship...
    ...my reply, "no, you don't, you're just infatuated with me, you idolise me"

I think I also added, but might not have done, "don't worry, most women do, I'm great though, seriously, I'm the ******* man"

Furthermore I've engaged people about their replies on the thread and haven't just asked a random question.
    If you haven't got anything to contribute, just a question of how you can, then it probably means don't try to.

At least that's one thing you could do, there are other options but that seems like the easiest one.

ReputationRep:
    I told my first girlfriend I loved her pretty much as soon as we started going out; for some reason, I didn't understand the significance of it, or what "love" really was. I just thought it was what people said :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TableChair)
    It's generally considered more socially acceptable to go out with guys after their voices break.
    They're better young, easier to train :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    They're better young, easier to train :yes:
    One of my best mates has been with his gf since he was 14 (now 19). He might as well be on a bloody leash.

Evil evil stuff...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teofilo)
    One of my best mates has been with his gf since he was 14 (now 19). He might as well be on a bloody leash.

Evil evil stuff...
    :laugh:
    Good for her. I've actually only been with mine since he was 18 [just turned 20], but he's learning :cool:

ReputationRep:
    :laugh:
    Good for her. I've actually only been with mine since he was 18 [just turned 20], but he's learning :cool:
    Oh god. You'll have him well whipped in no time.

Have you put up the electric fence? I knew my mate was in seriously trouble when he tried to convince me that an electric fence around their house was a viable plan given his past behaviour.

Okay; the last bit might not be totally true but still.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teofilo)
    Oh god. You'll have him well whipped in no time.

Have you put up the electric fence? I knew my mate was in seriously trouble when he tried to convince me that an electric fence around their house was a viable plan given his past behaviour.

Okay; the last bit might not be totally true but still.. :p:
    :p: I'm even crueler. I'm a good cook.

He misbehaves, the food stops.

ReputationRep:
    i think i said to her first... but i love the feeling i get when saying it, it has to be said at the right time... not gonna go into that, but i love it

its something that can definitely be over said and can lose its meaning because of that.. so like i said, done rinse it! use it when necessary and make it special :yep:

ReputationRep:
    :p: I'm even crueler. I'm a good cook.

He misbehaves, the food stops.
    I think you're moving from cold-hearted ***** of a gf to flat-out negligence there! :p:

In response to the question, I remember recoiling in a mixture of shock and horror when my (now ex) gf told that to me. But I was of course flattered - hard not to be when someone says it to you really!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.